Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Exaggerated response to mosquito bites

06-10-2017, 04:39 AM   #1
paradox59

My Support Groups:
Exaggerated response to mosquito bites

I was diagnosed with Crohn's two months ago and am in my first flare. I'm noticing that when I'm bitten by mosquitoes the swelling is much more pronounced than in the past.

I have five right now, all around my hair line. The bites don't go away very quickly either.

Is this due to my inflammatory response being out of whack? I've had one Remicade infusion but noticed this reaction prior to having the infusion.

Thank you!
06-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think with the Crohn's disease it takes longer to heal.
06-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Bufford

My Support Groups:
My body's reaction to bites are similar to other people who are healthy, but biting flies find me much tastier than healthy people. Somehow the meds or my system attracts mosquitoes.
06-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Some " bug bites" are actually not bugs bites
Please see a dermatologist
They can be Sweets Syndrome
(Ds first few flares -we thought were bad mosquito bites then later hives)
Any joint pain fatigue headache flu like symptoms ????
06-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Ginger is her name

My Support Groups:
I too had this problem!! I took pics to show my dr. I took Benadryl to reduce the swelling and itching. She told me to keep an eye on them (they can get infected easily due to our whaky immune systems).

She had no explanation as to why I had so many, and my husband who was at the same place, same time didn't have this reaction.

06-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
paradox59

My Support Groups:
Some " bug bites" are actually not bugs bites
Please see a dermatologist
They can be Sweets Syndrome
(Ds first few flares -we thought were bad mosquito bites then later hives)
Any joint pain fatigue headache flu like symptoms ????
I have two new ones on my calf. I haven't been outside and am not aware of being bitten on my leg. I've been having minor joint pain and fatigue. The night sweats are starting again.

I see my GI on Wednesday. I took a picture of the sores to show her.

Thank you!
06-17-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
paradox59

My Support Groups:
I too had this problem!! I took pics to show my dr. I took Benadryl to reduce the swelling and itching. She told me to keep an eye on them (they can get infected easily due to our whaky immune systems).

She had no explanation as to why I had so many, and my husband who was at the same place, same time didn't have this reaction.
Thanks for your response. Taking a picture was a good suggestion. I have an infusion on Monday and see my GI on Wednesday. I doubt the sores will be gone but in case they are I have the photo.

All of these extra little symptoms are so random and vague!
06-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #8
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't have Crohns. I have a type of colitis. I've noticed when sick, bug bites swell up larger in size.

Of late I have been feeling better. As a result I've noticed, while the bites can still itch they are not swelling up as large as before.
06-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's not bites, it's from the Crohn's. I think you should show your GI.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Exaggerated response to mosquito bites