• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prebiotic vs probiotic.

I´ve heard some doctors claim that probiotics have no effect because the stomach acid kills them before they reach the gut and that it will be more advicable to use prebiotics instead.

What is prebiotic? Is it a kind of supplement or something in particular foods.

Scipio

A prebiotic is a supplement, often a form of fiber or something similar, that promotes the growth of (presumably helpful) bacteria. Thus instead of consuming the good bacteria directly, you consume something that makes the good bacteria feel more at home in your gut.

There are probiotics made to withstand stomach acid. These are usually in a capsulated form. I use a Doterra brand probiotic and that is what theirs is supposed to do.

I truly believe probiotics work for me. I've taken them, then not, I see a huge difference in my belly fullness (gas), BM, keeps bad bacteria at bay, overall immune health. You must take a high dose or ones that are coated to survive the stomach acids for them to work. Walgreen' s pharmacy has their brand, that is a high dose, coated, inexpensive and very affected.

I've been on VSL #3 for 5 or 6 years. Taking one capsule a day, a bottle costing about $50 lasts me two months. I think it helps me in a variety of ways, but the immunity boost is what gives me some peace of mind.

I've had a variety of blood tests that tell me I'm anemic, or low on potassium, or B12 or folic acid. If I'm not absorbing everything correctly, aren't I further complicating my already compromised immune system? A probiotic that boosts my digestive system can only be GOOD NEWS, and VSL #3 has 112 billion bacteria per capsule, more than ever seen anywhere.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was prescribed prescription of double strength vsl #3
It's a powder packet that is mixed in a cold liquid
Tastes horrid but works
900 billon bacteria per packet
Insurance does not cover it and it is $$$

I truly believe probiotics work for me. I've taken them, then not, I see a huge difference in my belly fullness (gas), BM, keeps bad bacteria at bay, overall immune health. You must take a high dose or ones that are coated to survive the stomach acids for them to work. Walgreen' s pharmacy has their brand, that is a high dose, coated, inexpensive and very affected.
OK.
So you mean that coated probiotics works but the kefir made probiotics that we have to drink doesn´t have a chance to survive because of the stomach acid..