Share Facebook

06-17-2017, 04:03 AM   #1
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Ileostomy diet

I'm in the hospital waiting for surgery to get an ileostomy I was just wondering what I will be able to eat after.

I know with time as my body settles into the ileostomy life I might be to add thing's.

What did you eat after surgery and will I be able to eat fresh veggies I love my spinach I eat probably more than popeye practically with every meal will bea able to eat that or will it be a blockage issue.
07-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
exit4

My Support Groups:
After my ileostomy I was able to eat pretty much the same food. Started out slow with soft foods - cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, etc. After few days I added tuna, chicken, then ground turkey. The key is to shew your food longer before swallowing. After about a week, I stared with fine chopped greens and whole wheat bread. Egg salad gives me cramps now, onion and spices no problem. Mushrooms and nuts do not digest all the way - i see it in the output. I also take Imodium to slow down the output - it's like a water fountain sometimes.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, itís about learning how to dance in the rain.
07-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Tony H

I had my ileostomy last october and started slowly like exit said , the only things I had problems with so far were dry roasted peanuts and rib eye steak which I did not chew properly ,
to be honest I am eating more foods not than I did before surgery ,
Best of luck with the surgery

emazole 40mg daily
07-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
Tony H

After my ileostomy I was able to eat pretty much the same food. Started out slow with soft foods - cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, etc. After few days I added tuna, chicken, then ground turkey. The key is to shew your food longer before swallowing. After about a week, I stared with fine chopped greens and whole wheat bread. Egg salad gives me cramps now, onion and spices no problem. Mushrooms and nuts do not digest all the way - i see it in the output. I also take Imodium to slow down the output - it's like a water fountain sometimes.

If your output is very watery you should try Trio pearls in your bag ,
it thickens it up and helps with the odour as well
07-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
What about gas and the bag has anyone got any tips there what do I need to know to avoid leaks from the bag inflating from gas and it comes unstuck.
07-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Tony H

you can do whats called burping the bag ,two methods to do this from the bottom opening or at the joining point of a two piece system , there is a vent you can add to the bag which makes the process easier but the vents are relatively expensive in my opinion ,look up venting an ostomy bag on youtube and there's lot of demos.

07-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #7
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Luckily our ostomy supplies a re covered by an ileostomy association you pay a yearly fee and then order everything you need and ony pay a courier fee of 13 dollars the downside is you can only order once a month but they give you more than enough to get by even if you get multiple leaks o need more supplies they usually give you enough.

Also what meal sizes do you guys eat is it 3 mani meals with snacks or do you eat more smaller meals more often through the day
07-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Tony H

I started out after the op with 4 or 5 small meals a day , now I basically eat what I want ,
I was very bad last night and eat a full pizza with no problem s later
its different for everyone and its a learning curve to find out what works for you .

07-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Also what are you guys tips on avoiding blockages I have heard some horror stories about blockages behind the stoma. I have been through some horrendous pain with crohn's and would like to avoid blockages as much as possible.

Also how was the pain after surgery I know it's major surgery but how long roughly till the pain and discomfort subsided.