Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » MAP Vaccine Ready for Human Trials - Could be Used for Crohn's

05-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #901
brouweke

I believe she is taking a combination of oral antibiotics similar/the same as what is offered in the Redhill Map phase 3 trial.

The anti-map Vaccine trial in Oxford in in phase 1, which means it is being tested on healthy adults with no illnesses and no Crohn's/IBD to see if it is first safe. Phase 2 trials will begin I think in 2018, which is where the vaccine will be tested on patients with Crohn's disease to see whether it is effective at treating Crohn's.
Thank you for the clarification! Do you know what is the best way to stay up-to-date with the oxford research?
05-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #902
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I would recommend their Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/crohnsmapvaccine/?locale2=en_GB

History:
2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 08/2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 12/2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

Diagnosis:
Perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum)
Coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
50mg azathioprine (down from 75mg after my WBC dropped)
Gluten-free diet
06-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #903
Raggyruby

The MAP Vaccine phase 1 trials are in progress on healthy volunteers at the Jenner Institute in Oxford UK. There is no information to suggest that phase 2 will be delayed. Nothing to do with the Redhill trials and results have any effect on the vaccine trial schedule.The newsletter has probably been delayed waiting for certain information that the team would like to include and sometimes getting the information is outside of their control and like everyone else they just have to wait. I do believe a newsletter will be available very soon. Hope this helps, all new information is available on the updated CMV website as it becomes available and on the CMV Facebook page.
06-16-2017, 05:07 AM   #904
MoonOz

Hi.
Why didn't they attend 2017 MAP Conference ?
06-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #905
Mommabear

My Support Groups:
MoonOz,

They were invited but they couldn't make it for personal reasons.
07-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #906
Raggyruby

MoonOz as you know the vaccine is in phase 1 trials on healthy volunteers at the Jenner Institute in Oxford Uk. If successful this will be followed by phase 2 on Crohns sufferers at St Thomas Hospital in London early in 2018 although the criteria to be part of that trial has not yet been released.

All of the background work to the trials and the companion Crohns MAP Vaccine diagnostic blood test which has to be peer reviewed and published take up a huge amount of time and at this stage as I understand it Professor JHT felt that his time was better spent in the lab than attending another conference.
07-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #907
JMC

All of the background work to the trials and the companion Crohns MAP Vaccine diagnostic blood test which has to be peer reviewed and published take up a huge amount of time and at this stage as I understand it Professor JHT felt that his time was better spent in the lab than attending another conference.
JHT is over 80 years old, I don't think he has attended conferences for many years now
07-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #908
Raggyruby

Yes he is. His daughter Amy Hermon-Taylor stood in for him in last years conference in Chicago for the same reason he didn't attend this year.
07-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #909
xeridea

My Support Groups:
Thinking out loud here. But how would a vaccine help if you already have CD? Isn't a vaccine intended to help your immune system learn to recognize how to fight a foreign antigen when it first encounters it? What about the case where you're already exposed to the disease, and your immune system just can't figure out how to cope with it? How does the vaccine strengthen your immune system to fight something it has failed to stave off already?
07-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #910
OleJ

My Support Groups:
Thinking out loud here. But how would a vaccine help if you already have CD? Isn't a vaccine intended to help your immune system learn to recognize how to fight a foreign antigen when it first encounters it? What about the case where you're already exposed to the disease, and your immune system just can't figure out how to cope with it? How does the vaccine strengthen your immune system to fight something it has failed to stave off already?
This explanation is copied from the map vaccine website

Mechanism of action: The vaccine is what is called a ‘T-cell’ vaccine. T-cells are a type of white blood cell -an important player in the immune system- in particular, for fighting against organisms that hide INSIDE the body’s cells –like MAP does. Many people are exposed to MAP but most don’t get Crohn’s –Why? Because their T-cells can ‘see’ and destroy MAP. In those who do get Crohn’s, the immune system has a ‘blind spot’ –their T-cells cannot see MAP. The vaccine works by UN-BLINDING the immune system to MAP, reversing the immune dysregulation and programming the body’s own T-cells to seek out and destroy cells containing MAP. For general information, there are two informative videos about T Cells and the immune system below.
07-24-2017, 02:59 AM   #911
JMC

This explanation is copied from the map vaccine website

Mechanism of action: The vaccine is what is called a ‘T-cell’ vaccine. T-cells are a type of white blood cell -an important player in the immune system- in particular, for fighting against organisms that hide INSIDE the body’s cells –like MAP does. Many people are exposed to MAP but most don’t get Crohn’s –Why? Because their T-cells can ‘see’ and destroy MAP. In those who do get Crohn’s, the immune system has a ‘blind spot’ –their T-cells cannot see MAP. The vaccine works by UN-BLINDING the immune system to MAP, reversing the immune dysregulation and programming the body’s own T-cells to seek out and destroy cells containing MAP. For general information, there are two informative videos about T Cells and the immune system below.
That does not explain whether it would be an effective therapy for people who already have MAP infection rather than just a preventative vaccine. As far as I know, there a very few (possibly none) other examples of a therapeutic T-cell vaccines currently approved for use. Additionally, there haven't been any trials of CMV in cattle with established Johnes disease which might prove this as an effective therapy.

07-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #912
OleJ

My Support Groups:
The claim is that the vaccine works by enhancing immunogenicity (immune response) to the MAP infected cells. I guess that would mean its mechanism of action allows it to work in people that are already infected.
In theory. It will be interesting to follow if it works in practice.

Last edited by OleJ; 07-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.
07-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #913
Raggyruby

Xeridea, yes the vaccine is intended to be both preventative and therapeutic. As OleJ has already answered you can find all of the answers to your questions on the very clear and easy to navigate CMV website.
www.crohnsmapvaccine.com there is further information on www.hav-vaccines.com
There is also a support group on FB if you have further questions Crohn's MAP Vaccine-Fundraising and Support Group.
07-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #914
mtseeg

They also have a Twitter page that's regularly updated:

https://twitter.com/CrohnsVaccine
07-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #915
JMC

The claim is that the vaccine works by enhancing immunogenicity (immune response) to the MAP infected cells.
A reasonably large body of evidence has been published showing that Crohn's patients have an immune deficiency which could impair the handling of intracellular pathogens such as MAP. If that is the case, there must be a high chance that a Crohn's patient would not respond to stimulation by vaccine in the same way that a "healthy" person might. In other words, the vaccine could be effective, yet still not work on the small minority of the population who have Crohn's. The real problem here though is the gap between the claims and experimental evidence - lots of impressive claims are being made with little or no experimental evidence to back it up.

OleJ said:
I guess that would mean its mechanism of action allows it to work in people that are already infected.
In theory. It will be interesting to follow if it works in practice.
There have been lots of attempts to create MAP vaccines - just search on PubMed, the majority are targeted at Johnes disease and most (if not all) have failed to produce lasting immunity.
07-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #916
mtseeg

There are at least two Johne's disease vaccines still on the market: one contains live virus, the other is dead. The latter is sold in the U.S. under the trade name, Mycopar.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/mycopar.html

Also here's a link on the livestock variants.
07-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #917
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
But how would a vaccine help if you already have CD?
The same question can also be directed towards the Qu Biologics SSI trial, though I can't remember if the E. Coli they've been using is an intracellular one or not.

Personally, I'll have a second resection surgery in a few months, and I'm waiting to see what the upcoming announcement of the RHB-104 trial will reveal. I will proceed depending on that announcement.
07-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #918
JMC

There are at least two Johne's disease vaccines still on the market: one contains live virus, the other is dead. The latter is sold in the U.S. under the trade name, Mycopar.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/mycopar.html

Also here's a link on the livestock variants.
Problem is, they don't work which is why this is still such an active research field

07-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #919
Raggyruby

Once Jenner have published their findings on phase 1 on healthy volunteers and phase 2 is called, activated, concluded and published as well we will finally have the answers we need.
07-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #920
OleJ

My Support Groups:
Crohn2357- I am sorry the hear you will perhaps need another resection.
Do you usually have elevated calprotectin I wonder? I have read studies that conclude high calprotectin indicate a mycobacterium infection (as I wrote in another thread).

Last edited by OleJ; 07-25-2017 at 03:45 AM.
07-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #921
mtseeg

Problem is, they don't work which is why this is still such an active research field
Interesting. Would you mind posting links to some of the studies indicating these approved vaccines for livestock do not work on the livestock for which they are targeted? The second URL I provided illustrates that they are indeed effective, but I'd like to get a more rounded viewpoint from the scientific community.

From the article:

"Vaccination not only delayed the onset of fecal shedding, but reduced mortality attributed to Johne's disease by 90% in the 200 vaccinated sheep. Silirum is a killed strain of MAP, also related to 316F, that has been tested in Australian cattle. This vaccine has recently been shown to reduce prevalence of clinical disease, as measured by lymph node pathology and fecal culture at slaughter.
Click here for article source

Last edited by mtseeg; 07-25-2017 at 07:56 AM.
07-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #922
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Crohn2357- I am sorry the hear you will perhaps need another resection.
Do you usually have elevated calprotectin I wonder? I have read studies that conclude high calprotectin indicate a mycobacterium infection (as I wrote in another thread).
Statistics say the great majority of Crohn's patients will eventually need to undergo at least one surgery during their lifetime.[1]

I have been tested for fecal calprotectin during the early days of my diagnosis, it was used more of an additional diagnostic tool, and the results were always high. I don't know if it indicates the presence of a mycobacterium infection or not. Even if it does, I don't think it would be the only reason for the elevated levels.

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../GH-06-587.pdf
http://www.ioibd.org/wp-content/uplo...n-Gut-2012.pdf
http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.o...crohns-uc.html
07-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #923
JMC

Interesting. Would you mind posting links to some of the studies indicating these approved vaccines for livestock do not work on the livestock for which they are targeted? The second URL I provided illustrates that they are indeed effective, but I'd like to get a more rounded viewpoint from the scientific community.

From the article:

Click here for article source
I will dig out the review papers later when I am at a computer at home. To summarise, the problem is that the effect of vaccination is transient - short term improvements fail after a number of months so animals are never cured and is why vaccination (at least LAV) has not eradicated MAP as a problem in the agricultural industry.

07-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #924
JMC

From July 2016: Development of vaccines to Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis infection

A variety of ideas for designing novel vaccines have emerged, and the tests of the efficacy of these vaccines are conducted constantly. However, no effective vaccines are commercially available.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969274/
07-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #925
OleJ

My Support Groups:
Crohn2357: Even if it does, I don't think it would be the only reason for the elevated levels.

I am curious to know if you have any references to what other causes of Calprotectin rises there are, apart from mycobacteria? I read that NSAID an alcohol could cause slightly elevated levels, but not more than 300 ug/g. According to wikipedia calprotectin has bacteriostatic and fungistatic properties in vitro, but the specific kinds of fungi and bacteria is not mentioned. Also, that these properties come from an ability to sequester manganese and zinc.
Maybe elevated calprotectin is not just a bad thing, but an indication of the body working to get rid of an infection? Zinc supplement is sometimes discussed here as a helpful supplement with CD.
07-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #926
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
According to wikipedia calprotectin has bacteriostatic and fungistatic properties in vitro, but the specific kinds of fungi and bacteria is not mentioned.
Exactly.

Quoting from the Aronofsky's Pi (1998):
"When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, it filters everything else out and you will find that thing everywhere in nature."

I am curious to know if you have any references to what other causes of Calprotectin rises there are, apart from mycobacteria?
Just read a general article about calprotectin in pubmed, you'll see the answer. Calprotectin isn't even specific as a digestive system marker (let alone being specific to immune system's encounter with mycobacterium), so "fecal" calprotectin doesn't have any distinction from elevated levels of calprotectin found in other tissues.

Calprotectin – a Pleiotropic Molecule in Acute and Chronic
Inflammation
07-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #927
OleJ

My Support Groups:
Quoting from the Aronofsky's Pi (1998):
"When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, it filters everything else out and you will find that thing everywhere in nature."

Well, OK. Let us give this topic a rest then.
The thread is about the MAP vaccine anyway.
09-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #928
deedee714

ok
10-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #930
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
The Anti-MAP Therapy Support Group

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » MAP Vaccine Ready for Human Trials - Could be Used for Crohn's