Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Salofalk and Pentasa

08-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
eastman18

Salofalk and Pentasa

Hello, crohnies. I wanted to ask you if salofalk only or pentasa only is effective treatment to relief your symptoms, or you should combine with something else?
08-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
eastman18

I also wanted to ask is it possible for mesalazine(salofalk) to take away your symptoms on the first day of treatment ?
08-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would think you would have to combine it with something else and it would have to be over a course of time.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Magnolia24

My Support Groups:
My understanding is that these are maintenance drugs that probably won't provide relief from symptoms but rather keep you feeling well when you are no longer flaring. I had a flare last winter and was put on prednisone, then began Pentasa as I weaned off of it. I now take Pentasa and follow a very strict diet (close to the specific carbohydrate diet) and am doing well.
08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
teeny5

My Support Groups:
My understanding is that these are maintenance drugs that probably won't provide relief from symptoms but rather keep you feeling well when you are no longer flaring. I had a flare last winter and was put on prednisone, then began Pentasa as I weaned off of it. I now take Pentasa and follow a very strict diet (close to the specific carbohydrate diet) and am doing well.
I agree, I was always told these are maintenance drugs to keep inflammation down. I take Colazal everyday which is in the same family of drugs. I did not feel immediate relief when starting them, I had to be on Entocort at the same time to stop a flare.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
08-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I was prescribed both pentasa and canasa, as seen below. As has been said above, I use both when in a flare. But, at the moment I'm not in need for the canasa because I'm not flaring. But, I do still have it prescribed for when it is needed. However, the pentasa is my maintenance drug...

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Salofalk and Pentasa