Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

08-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My journey to getting well

I was thinking of starting a new thread in the success section on the sight. Yesterday with the note that I can sit with comfort, it occurred to me at the very least I now have a safe successful travel diet. That is huge.

I say that, and joke to myself that I haven't traveled on this diet. It hasn't been real world tested! The way the gut feels though the last few days, sitting without discomfort and pain, I have good certainty that I have a travel diet. This is a first.

Where to go from here:

There are so many places to go from here, but I believe of importance I need to have a less sensitive stomach. That would go far in relieving doubts. With the gut being less inflamed on this diet, being able to sit in comfort, I expect that the gut will be less sensitive and reliable soon.

I also want to see the "healthy" look for the whole day. There is a health appearance to being well. I know this from the few times I've been well in the past. So far that look is now showing up in the evenings. Soon I expect it will be show all day. It helps prove to me that I'm absorbing nutrients better.

Soon I need to stop taking the little bit of medication that helps the gut. The medicine and I should add cheese I eat I believe help a little. It would be good to stop taking and eating cheese all together as a test. I'll start that tomorrow or Thursday depending on how I'm feeling.

New food to add in the near future: wild caught fish/ sea foods. I'm guessing that what makes me ill is soy meal fed to commercially raised animals. The soy is showing up in the animal product. It might be something entirely different but soy is a common allergen. Synthetic vitamins are another possibility.
08-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Make sure your doctor is monitoring you. I would not stop your medicine.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ron, for the type of colitis I have there are no prescription medications that have been helpful. These are over the counter medications that I've been taking, such as imodium. Their helpfulness is limited, if at all.
08-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thought to make a quick note. Avoiding the table spoon or two a day of Imodium is likely not a good idea at this time. The gut has been fine today. The problem is how starved, weak and tired I feel. I don't know why this is happening, and one day is to early to make a definitive decision but no reason to mess with this one for now. I'll continue with the spoonful a day of that and test once again at a later date.

Tomorrow I'll avoid cheese. Hopefully that will go more pleasantly.

I'm still amazement at how well I feel sitting. I keep jumping into chairs testing out the stomach. I eat a big meal, it doesn't hurt. I watch a long TV show, it doesn't hurt. I've driven around, and enjoyed it! It's wonderful! I've missed many trips due to this stomach ache while sitting for long periods of time. That painful issue has come to an end, I believe.

I'm not planning to do any stomach crunches anytime soon though.
08-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A couple notes this morning.

Weighting myself this morning I see I'm still loosing weight. I was down to 172/173lbs. Before I thought my weight loss had leveled off at 175lbs.

The weight loss is happening around the stomach area. I'm guessing it is water weight. Its loss is likely why I feel more comfortable when sitting in chairs and in the car. Will be interesting to see if I loose more pounds. Imagine I will.

Not long ago it occurred to me that I was following a diet similar to what I am now. I was having success with the diet. I basically grew tired of it. In that diet I was eating sea foods such as tuna and wild caught salmon. I imagine those are safe foods. So long as I can ride and sit in comfort I'm a happy camper.

I'm going to continue with the current diet, and mess with it more at another time. I may not like cheese, but I'll have other times were I can avoid it and eat more pleasant fatty foods. Potato chips and cookies sound much more pleasing than cheese to me.
08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm feeling much better after my spoonful of imodium today! I better keep with continuing that.

I also made it through 2 hours of watching TV! Quite an accomplishment for me on two accounts! I'm not so good at sitting for so long,and the series show can be a bit gruesome at times.
08-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is exciting. This morning I have lots of energy. Yesterday for exercise I swam for around an hour and afterwards I lifted some weights. Typically after lifting weights the next morning and day I'm overly tired and fatigued. That is not the case this morning. I feel very good instead.

I'll mark this down as being able to handle some abuse yet still feel good. I hope this positive trend continues.

I think the only lingering doubts I have about the diet I'm following to make me well concerns stomach health. The gut is good. I want it to be better than good. Once that happens it will be time to begin moving forward, doing new activities in life.
08-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is exciting. This morning I have lots of energy. Yesterday for exercise I swam for around an hour and afterwards I lifted some weights. Typically after lifting weights the next morning and day I'm overly tired and fatigued. That is not the case this morning. I feel very good instead.

I'll mark this down as being able to handle some abuse yet still feel good. I hope this positive trend continues.

I think the only lingering doubts I have about the diet I'm following to make me well concerns stomach health. The gut is good. I want it to be better than good. Once that happens it will be time to begin moving forward, doing new activities in life.
I hope it continues .

08-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ron, me too.

I've made myself well to the gut with diet before. What makes this time different is I'm keeping good notes. Hopefully I'll finally have this solved. Bit of a difficult puzzle, and understandable if the answer is once and for all soy, or synthetic vitamins not only eaten directly but also a problem when fed to live stock.

A good, yet problem to note. I've had this for a few days. It isn't likely going away. My teeth have become sensitive when eating. My dentist has told me this is good. My gums are becoming healthier exposing more of the teeth. Doesn't feel all that good or pleasant when it happens but I've been told the sensitivity will eventually go away.
08-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Worth quickly noting, I'm not as out of breath as before. I can talk better as a result as I noticed yesterday.

The same problem that made sitting painful seems to have been causing the out of breath issue. Kind of nice to not have that issue. I even walked yesterday and talked easily on the phone at the same time. That was rare.
08-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Guerrero

My Support Groups:
Do you have ibd or ibs??
08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
IBD, I have a type of colitis, MC.
08-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today was one of my more energetic days in awhile. I didn't use the energy much but was feeling upbeat and energized. It was good to experience and imagine I'll have many up and down energy days ahead as the gut continues to do decently.
08-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
cmack

My Support Groups:
I'm happy to hear you are well, I hope it continues.
08-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Agreed

08-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys for the well wishes. I awoke early to frightening and interesting news in some respects. A nephew that just began his collegiate career was rushed to the hospital overnight. He had an appendectomy. Thankfully it sounds that everything went well. He should be back in class by Monday I was told.

While there is little silver lining in emergency surgery, it did have me thinking how quickly roles can reverse. For a brief moment I am not the sick one with intestinal distress in the family.

Good energy for me this morning, hopefully that continues into later today.

I was thinking that on this diet I'm only eating grass fed beef and grass fed cheese. In the past I've followed diets were I only ate a single type of meat before. The results were not good. These ideas were tried several times with similar results seen.

When I only ate turkey lunch meat, sold by Applegate, after 5 days I experienced liquid diarrhea. (I should note, there is a type of turkey sold that might not be a problem for my stomach. It is labeled as a range free turkey I used to find at a health store. I'll have to look further into this.)

When I only ate chicken my experience was similar to when eating apple gate turkey, with the addition of symptoms being more urgent.

When I ate commercially store bought beef every day, after 7 days I experienced extreme stomach distress. Every time I followed an all store bought beef diet it was the same result, extreme stomach problems with pain lasting ruffly for 24 hours.

When I ate pork, I did not become stick to my stomach. Instead pork caused me to bloat up, gain weight, and parts of my body became inflamed and would bleed. My gums in particular would become inflamed to the point that eating became difficult. The diet naturally come to an end after that happens.

In the past I've tried eating diets of only wild caught fish. I didn't notice much on this diet. I wasn't sick, but wasn't well as far as I can tell. Don't know what happened other than most likely I didn't take good enough notes, and with my natural dislike for fish, was probably unhappy with what I was eating, wanting other foods.

In the near future I'm going to add tuna to the diet. The tuna I'll eat does not have soy added to it. I'm guessing it will be safe for me.
08-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
cmack

My Support Groups:
I can't eat regular meat either. I think grass fed or wild meat/fish would be fine as it does not have the high concentrations of glyphosate(herbicide) that most commercially raised animals and associated products do. They spray it on the corn and other GMO crops and it becomes concentrated in the animals fatty tissues because they eat so much of it. The older the animal the worse it is and also the higher you go on the food chain the worse it is as well. Glyphosate is well known to cause leaky gut syndrome and all sorts of intestinal issues. Being vegetarian and also eating organic foods has helped me greatly as I'm able to avoid this poison.
08-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #18
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That could be a probable cause, glyphosate. I know many feel it adversely effects their health.

I'm not sure what effects me. Possibly my problem is with soy. It is a common allergen fed to animals. The AppleGate turkey mentioned that made me ill is organic. On their web sight is a listing for what their animals are fed. Listed are soy meal, corn and synthetic vitamins.

Synthetic vitamins are a good candidate for harming me. I am not able to take a synthetic vitamin without feel terrible. Synthetic vitamins also cause stomach issues, similar to what I have when eating AppleGate turnkey and chicken. It isn't an immediate effect though. I take a synthetic vitamin in the morning, feel miserable all day, and in the evening am running to the bathroom for a hour or so. Since the effect isn't immediate it leaves me with doubts.

Hard to say with certainty. Many people write about having stomach problems with taking synthetic vitamins as with soy.

When I stopped eating wheat I felt a little better. Some will say that is due to the wheat gluten. Maybe in my case I felt better due to avoiding the synthetic vitamins added to white wheat flour.
08-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #19
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Forgot to add, it appears my gut and body can take a little bit of a beating now. Typically when riding a bike, the pumping action moving the gut around can make me slightly ill when on short rides. (long bike rides can be a big problem) I had a chance to ride my bike and I have not had any stomach issues.

I also weight lifted again and feel fine. Energy levels OK.

I haven't done any stomach crunches. I'm sure that would cause all kinds of stomach grief still at this time.
08-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
cmack

My Support Groups:
I never thought about the synthetic vitamins or soy, although my doctor has said that getting your vitamins from whole foods is the best. I'm glad you are seeing improvements, you may be onto something.
08-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #21
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As a quick note, the healthy appearance has shown up this morning. that is a good sign. Gut still so so.
08-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #22
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The morning started out promising, lots of energy, feeling well. Then did some swimming in a cold pool, did some stomach twisting while swimming, and ever since the gut has been upset. The silver lining I can thinking of is I still have good energy despite the upset stomach.

I imagine the gut will be tender for a long while, even if I am doing much better.
08-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope your gut is better soon.
08-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A little bit tired after being slightly ill yesterday. Most likely the illness was caused by exercise that stressed the gut area. It happens. Looking healthy this morning though and generally feel decent. I'm hoping this week will finally give me confidence to say that I have my solution.
08-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #25
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
To make note of, my tongue can have some sores or red lines on it. They make an appearance when I'm ill in particular - long term. The tongue has been healing for some time now on this diet. Today I can say officially the tongue is healed up, looking great.

I don't know what to make of the tongue and the red lines. They hurt when there. When healed obviously the pain is gone. I've often thought the red lines are from poor digestion and with that malnutrition. Hard to say though, and I've often thought that it is some kind of reaction. The tongue being the beginning part of the digestive tract, I've thought what effects the tongue likely messes with the rest of the digestive system.

So good sign with the tongue doing and looking good and healed.

Everything else held up well today.
08-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #26
cmack

My Support Groups:
I never get any lines but sometimes my tongue hurts for no good reason. I hope yours stays healthy.
08-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #27
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks cmack.

Something else I've notice that has improved are my finger nails. At times I can have odd finger nail issues. These include grooves in the nails. Some times the base of the nail will bleed. Other times the nails will look discolored and be uneven. Sometimes the side of the nail will split off. That can be painful when it happens.

My finger nails now look great. I see no issues with any of the nails.

My hair is looking healthy also. I've noticed when the nails are in poor shape so is my hair. I guess hair and finger nails are made of the same stuff so it makes some sense to me that both would do well together.
08-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #28
Marcelle

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I am on a cocktail of steroids, cortisone and antibiolotics. I am also on a very controlled diet. My biggest worry is weight loss and fatigue. I have now lost 10kg and just want to sleep. Is there any supplement I can take to help put on weight and give me just a little bit of energy.
08-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #29
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Marcelle,

I wish I could be helpful. I don't have Crohn's disease. Our conditions are similar but the treatments that are helpful are different between our IBD conditions.

I can add that with diet, weight loss can be big sometimes. Alternatively sometimes weight gain can happen following different diets. From what I've observed with others it depends upon how helpful the diet is. We're all different in that respect.
08-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #30
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This morning is interesting for me! I guess to begin with the bad news, I slept terribly. I'm not sure why I slept poorly but can guess. A likely cause is that imodium upset my stomach. From experience I recall that at times imodium can be beneficial. When becoming well it can be a problem that irritates my stomach. So the good news, if my guess is correct, the gut is healing and in less need of help. Going forward I'll try taking imodium on a per need basis.

The interesting part this morning is that I worked out lifted weights yesterday. i lifted weights hard. It was one of the harder work outs this year. Typically after lifting as I did, the next morning I will be worn out and fatigued. That is not the case this morning. Instead I feel decent, a little tired, but I don't feel all that sore.

I'm becoming more reliable. I can handle a beating to a certain extent and be able to handle it. I still have a long ways to go in this department but I'm pleased with the direction I'm going.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well