• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Did the Presidential Election Trigger the Flare?

I was wondering if anyone out there strongly feels the stress of our nation's (or world's) increasingly polarized political environment has triggered either a flare or the first manifestation of your disease?

My family has people who are both Republicans and Democrats, so it makes talking politics pretty much taboo. Personally, the way I felt when I awoke on November 9th, 2016 was not unlike how I felt on September 11th, 2001.

I strongly feel I've been physically sicker especially since last year, and it has a lot to do with how the world is going right now. Am I alone?

Last edited:
I'm in the UK and I can honestly say I felt horrendous the day after our EU referendum. I wasn't actually sick but I went to the toilet several times expecting to be! Politics everywhere is scary at the moment. Thinking of you x

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
mtseeg, I felt similar after the election. I have a prescription for lorazepam (anti-anxiety) and I almost never take it, but I had to take it after the election. I have had an increase in symptoms lately as well, but I've had other stress in my life besides the election (my job situation is very stressful right now, and my dog was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer). So for me I think it's all of the above contributing to my stress which is in turn causing me some symptoms. I can definitely say that stress can cause a flare, though, at least in my experience it can. Last year my grandpa died, and we had to put my grandma into a care facility (she has dementia) and clean out her condo which was a huge ordeal (she's also a hoarder) and very stressful. Shortly after all of that, I flared. I don't know if that's helpful at all, but I definitely feel for you. It's like living in the twilight zone ever since the election, and being a female with a pre-existing condition has not been a good thing under this current administration. I keep wondering why he hasn't been impeached yet! Hopefully that will happen soon. Hang in there!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I feel like I should add on to what I said above - there are various stress-relief techniques which can help at least somewhat. For me, my favorite is exercise. I of course can't always exercise if I'm not feeling well or running to the bathroom a lot, but I try to exercise when I am able to. A walk through the woods has been my go-to lately. It's so calming and peaceful. It gets me away from the news and facebook and all of that stuff (leave your phone behind or at least don't look at it when you're taking a walk). I feel really refreshed after a walk in the woods and feel like I can breathe easier. There are many other things you can try too, anything from yoga to a hot bath to listening to your favorite music, to just doing some deep breathing or meditation, or taking a bike ride or a long drive - sometimes I just need to get away and have a change of scenery. Take care of yourself and try to get away from the news and politics for awhile. If you do look at the news online, try to look at some cute photos of puppies or kittens for each news story that you look at. I personally try to have as many cute animals and as little politics/news in my newsfeed as possible! I hope that's helpful. Take care of yourself!

A walk through the woods has been my go-to lately. It's so calming and peaceful. It gets me away from the news and facebook and all of that stuff (leave your phone behind or at least don't look at it when you're taking a walk). I feel really refreshed after a walk in the woods and feel like I can breathe easier.

I was hoping you'd reply to this also, I know we both wish our countries could behave! [emoji6]

Based on the above are you familiar with Japanese Forest Bathing? I took my dog for a walk in our local woods today when I was feeling quite anxious (which is crazy as I'm off work this week - stupid brain!) and it all just ebbed away. I think there is something to it! I'm quite witchy by nature to be fair, I love being connected to nature in any way I can [emoji4]

Yes. I'd been in remission since my diagnosis (2013). I felt a lot of anxiety around the election and inauguration..started feeling crohn's symptoms in December which just got worse and worse.. I would notice a distinct sharpening of stomach pain when I read the news. My colonoscopy results in February showed that I'd been flaring for awhile. You are not alone.
It's an ongoing challenge to figure out the right way to engage and stay aware, while also maintaining the boundaries necessary to stay healthy.

Also agreed about exercise! I also love yoga and walking..and have recently gotten really into barre classes. It's low impact - so easy on the joints, but still a challenging workout. It is so empowering to feel myself getting stronger, especially after this illness has made me feel so disconnected from my body at times.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Soph, yes, I love the concept of Japanese forest bathing! I love anything to do with Japan, and anything to do with going to the forest, so that's a win-win for me.

(I actually spent 3 weeks in Japan last year, shortly before my grandpa died - I walked and ate more while in Japan than I did at any other point in the year, and I also felt better than I had the entire year - maybe that's a low-stress thing because it was a vacation, maybe it was all the walking, maybe it was the Japanese diet? All of the above? I don't know but I felt great the whole time I was in Japan.)

Yes, I hope both our countries (and their leaders) behave for awhile. I know that's a lot to ask, especially of our current administration (I still don't like even saying his name) so I don't know how that's going to go, especially now that North Korea has actually sent a missile over Japan. Ugh.

cmack

Staff member
Personally, I believe most politicians are not fit for the company of sewer rats. On that note, I hope they all try to behave with common decency before somebody blows a tantrum befitting of a two year old.

I would also, in some ways, like to live in a tree house in the forest... so maybe I'm half way nuts? Who knows? LOL

Soph, yes, I love the concept of Japanese forest bathing! I love anything to do with Japan, and anything to do with going to the forest, so that's a win-win for me.

(I actually spent 3 weeks in Japan last year, shortly before my grandpa died - I walked and ate more while in Japan than I did at any other point in the year, and I also felt better than I had the entire year - maybe that's a low-stress thing because it was a vacation, maybe it was all the walking, maybe it was the Japanese diet? All of the above? I don't know but I felt great the whole time I was in Japan.)

Yes, I hope both our countries (and their leaders) behave for awhile. I know that's a lot to ask, especially of our current administration (I still don't like even saying his name) so I don't know how that's going to go, especially now that North Korea has actually sent a missile over Japan. Ugh.

Wow, that sounds incredible. I would love to experience something like that!

I'm sorry for your loss, I also lost my grandfather last year whilst going through the whole procedure of getting a diagnosis. Sometimes life kindly just throws everything at you all at once doesn't it?

Yes, It's interesting that I for one haven't heard Japan comment on the situation themselves, yet the big players have already turned this into a willy waving contest [emoji19]

I heard on the radio yesterday that our PM is over there at the moment and has 'refused to rule out military involvement.' Deep joy.

We really can't win, I'm the kind of person who likes to be informed about what's going on in the world, but for a good year or so I've just wanted to stick my fingers in my ears when the news comes on!

Personally, I believe most politicians are not fit for the company of sewer rats. On that note, I hope they all try to behave with common decency before somebody blows a tantrum befitting of a two year old.

Well said! I think most people involved in politics get into it as a career move and to further their own selfish interests, not for the millions of people they are supposed to be representing.

Bufford

I would also, in some ways, like to live in a tree house in the forest... so maybe I'm half way nuts? Who knows? LOL
I could not agree more with your statement, the quality of our politicians leaves much to be desired. The problem is that these people for most part are living a lifestyle that only the middle and lower class could dream of. Most politicians have absolutely no idea of what it is like to live on a lower income.
Instead they make excuses to tax the essentials; energy, fuel, food, property taxes, consumption taxes of all kinds. They destroy every possible way for me to save a little bit of money, placing walls and hurdles in my path of life and under fund the medical system. These politicians today do nothing but make my life difficult and miserable in every single way possible and I am far from alone.
That is only one of the reasons I choose to live remote deep in the Boreal forests of Northwestern Ontario.
If I had my way, I would like to go back to the way of living of First Nations the way it was before the immigrants came over and and cut down the trees and regulated the land with endless mandates.

Sorry for the rant but this thread struck a nerve on what bothers me about what our political system has deteriorated into. The world is becoming nothing more than a cage with hamster wheels for many.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Soph, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather as well. Life really does tend to throw everything at you all at once. That's definitely how I'm feeling these days. I lost my grandpa last year, and soon I'll be losing my dog - she was diagnosed with terminal cancer in mid-July and they said at best she'll have about 3 months left to live (so more like 1.5 months now). I don't have kids, my pets and my hubby are my family, so I've been taking that news very hard. She's only 8 so she's not a very old dog. She and my grandpa were good buddies (he loved dogs and he especially loved my dog) so I'm going to spread her ashes at my grandpa's grave. If I have to lose them both, at least they're going to be together - I'm not religious, but I like the thought of their remains being at the same spot anyway.

Yeah, Japan has been much quieter than our current administration has been about the whole missile thing. NK and our current president are both such immature nutjobs, I fear it's only a matter of time before they start comparing the size of each other's missiles. I'm sorry that your PM has also jumped into the craziness and is talking about military action. Ugh. I would also like to move to a treehouse please. A very low-stress treehouse.

As for Japan, if you ever get the chance, definitely go. The food was all very easy on me and was so delicious, everyone was very friendly and polite and helpful (I got lost on the trains multiple times and most people speak some English and were more than happy to help), and it's such a beautiful country. I was there for most of April 2016, and cherry blossom season starts in late March/early April, so that was absolutely beautiful to see the cherry blossoms. If you ever get over there, go to the bamboo forest in Kyoto as well. (Get there early because it fills up with tourists fast.) That might be the most beautiful forest I've ever seen. Meiji Shrine in Tokyo is also surrounded by a beautiful forest with walking paths, something I didn't think I'd see in the middle of such a large city!

I agree about Japan. I have been there three times, the latest in April this year at the peak of cherry blossom time. It is quite magical. The food in Japan suits me very well; it is the only place in the world where I eat street food and I never have trouble with it.

The Japanese communal baths (onsen) are very relaxing. You have to go in naked but everyone else is, too, so it isn't a problem, even with my stoma bag.

In relation to anxiety and relaxation, mtseeg, have you tried alternate nostril breathing? It is very calming and you can do it anywhere without anyone else noticing. Just Google it.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Susan2, wow! I was too shy to go into an onsen. Good for you for going in, you're braver than I am! Have you watched Sunshine Sento Sake? It's a Japanese show about a guy who is terrible at his job, and he skips out of work regularly to go to the onsen and then he always has a beer afterwards. It's pretty amusing. (There is some nudity in the snow, but only butts, nothing frontal.) I found that show online and quite liked it. And they give some interesting info and history about real onsen in the Tokyo area.