• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6MP (Mercaptopurine) and Skin Cancer

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here to the Crohn's forum. Let me tell you a little about my journey:

I've struggled with Crohn's for the past 40+ years, surviving a bowel resection (terminal ileum) in 1986, plus several subsequent hospitalizations for full or partial obstructions. I've tried several of the usual drugs over the years (Flagyl, prednisone, sulfa, Remicade) and landed on 6MP (mercaptopurine) for the long haul. Seems I responded best to this drug and enjoyed long seasons of remission during that time.

Unfortunately, I developed skin cancer (basil cell) on the tip of my nose about 4 years ago, which required MOHS surgery to remove (it was a horrible experience!). Shortly after my bout with skin cancer, I discovered the #1 side affect of 6MP was skin cancer! Not to mention the toll ongoing medication had on my liver. So I discontinued taking 6MP altogether. About this time, I also began eating more natural, clean, non-GMO foods and have become a proponent of doings things naturally without chemicals whenever possible.

I've been off all prescription meds for the past four years despite having mild to moderate symptoms off and on during that time. I'm doing my best to manage my symptoms with diet (over the years I've learned what I can and can't eat) and the use of my trusty vibrating back massager that I use on my tummy when things feel like they're getting stuck in my intestinal track. It shakes things loose and helps a lot - I never leave home without it.

Over the past year I've developed a nasty flair that is building in intensity. I really don't want to go back to using chemicals again, but am finding I need some help. So, I am beginning to explore another natural remedy: medical marjuana. Wish me luck as I journey down this path!

My GP has agreed to certify me for the purposes of obtaining a medical marijuana (MM) "green card" which is how it works here in Minnesota. I have an appointment to see her (my GP) later this month for my annual exam. We always discuss all aspects of my health, including Crohn's. Adding MM will be a new twist. I'm looking forward to discussing MM with her.

I've not been back to my GI doc since dropping the 6MP regimen four years ago.

My GP has agreed to certify me for the purposes of obtaining a medical marijuana (MM) "green card" which is how it works here in Minnesota. I have an appointment to see her (my GP) later this month for my annual exam. We always discuss all aspects of my health, including Crohn's. Adding MM will be a new twist. I'm looking forward to discussing MM with her.

I've not been back to my GI doc since dropping the 6MP regimen four years ago.
Would you consider seeing a GI again? As well as monitoring your bowel for possible Crohns damage, we are at risk of bowel cancer after decades of Crohn's inflammation. Therefore it would be worthwhile checking in with a GI at least yearly

Would you consider seeing a GI again? As well as monitoring your bowel for possible Crohns damage, we are at risk of bowel cancer after decades of Crohn's inflammation. Therefore it would be worthwhile checking in with a GI at least yearly
Thank you, eleanor_rigby, for your concern. I should have mentioned that I have a colonoscopy every other year to monitor as much of my lower intestinal tract and as much as they can see in the upper. I would certainly consider a return to my GI doc at the recommendation of my GP should something look suspicious.