• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Itchy anus

Does anyone else get this itch down there? It's not a serious itch, but I get a feeling that my anus is inflamed or something.

I use rash ointments/creams, but it keeps coming back. Any idea what might be causing this?

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hemorrhoids can be annoying. Internal and external ones.
Small fissures can also cause discomfort.
passing larger stools or going several times a day to the toilet can increase the discomfort of those issues for a while after.
I once had a small internal hemorrhoid caused by a flare. This hemorrhoid stayed there for about a year even after the flare resolved. It was annoying. the feeling was like a little pea stuck in my butt.

My ithcing was caused by candida. My doctor suggested applying plain greek yogurt. I place about a tablespoon of the greek yogurt on a tissue paper, put it on my butt, let it rest for about 5 minutes then rinse. The coldness of the yogurt provides instant relief from the itch and it kills the candida at the same time. Hope it helps, Trader Joes has a good plain greek yogurt for a big tub @ $1.99.

I find salt water sitz baths and warm water compresses helpful. I generally have ongoing fissures that don’t fully heal. I have a prescription steroid ointment to keep it from worsening. Three years and counting! I am not sure if it is common for everyone. Inflated donut cushion is my best friend 🙂

Hemorrhoids can be annoying. Internal and external ones.
Small fissures can also cause discomfort.
passing larger stools or going several times a day to the toilet can increase the discomfort of those issues for a while after.
I once had a small internal hemorrhoid caused by a flare. This hemorrhoid stayed there for about a year even after the flare resolved. It was annoying. the feeling was like a little pea stuck in my butt.
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. :/

I think that I should alter my diet, because passing larger and stiffer stool is making it even worse.

I think my itching is due to loose stools creating mild irritation in that area.
It's the total opposite for me. I have been passing mostly stiff stool and this complicates things.

My ithcing was caused by candida. My doctor suggested applying plain greek yogurt. I place about a tablespoon of the greek yogurt on a tissue paper, put it on my butt, let it rest for about 5 minutes then rinse. The coldness of the yogurt provides instant relief from the itch and it kills the candida at the same time. Hope it helps, Trader Joes has a good plain greek yogurt for a big tub @ $1.99.
Were there any other symptoms? I take it you had to cut the carbs off your diet, too.

I'm gonna experiment with the Greek yogurt and see how this goes. When should I expect results?

I find salt water sitz baths and warm water compresses helpful. I generally have ongoing fissures that don’t fully heal. I have a prescription steroid ointment to keep it from worsening. Three years and counting! I am not sure if it is common for everyone. Inflated donut cushion is my best friend 🙂
I'm gonna check if I could get the steroid ointment without prescription, because I'm getting really tired of keeping up with this and I'm not seeing my GI before a month from now.

A non prescription ointment was recommended first and could work sufficiently. Ie Polysporine type or cortisone ointment. The prescription was offered only after a two week hospitalization (when Crohns was first suspected). Over the counter is an excellent way to help while waiting for your GI. I am waiting for my referral to go through despite being diagnosed by my rheumatologist. It was actually my gunpowder that prescribed the steroid ointment. Sending hugs. I am going to try the yogurt suggestion to see if it helps me any!

A non prescription ointment was recommended first and could work sufficiently. Ie Polysporine type or cortisone ointment. The prescription was offered only after a two week hospitalization (when Crohns was first suspected). Over the counter is an excellent way to help while waiting for your GI. I am waiting for my referral to go through despite being diagnosed by my rheumatologist. It was actually my gunpowder that prescribed the steroid ointment. Sending hugs. I am going to try the yogurt suggestion to see if it helps me any!
HAHAHAHAHA! I had a good laugh at the gunpowder prescription part! :D

Thanks for the hugs and I hope that Greek Yogurt will work out fine for both of us. I'm too tired to go shopping, so will probably get it tomorrow. Plus, I'll check with our local pharmacy for a cortisone ointment.

I use canesten cream when I get itchy. Takes care of it really quickly. I have had issues with fungal infections before, so there is a possibility that may be what you have as well. No cool relief as with the yogurt though!

cmack

Staff member
Zinc oxide cream 15% works for me. I just dab a Q-Tip in into the jar and apply gently to the affected area. This has always worked and it's cheap and readily available. Salt water baths help also, 1-2 cups regular salt in the bathtub and it really helps. Good luck!

Zinc oxide cream 15% works for me. I just dab a Q-Tip in into the jar and apply gently to the affected area. This has always worked and it's cheap and readily available. Salt water baths help also, 1-2 cups regular salt in the bathtub and it really helps. Good luck!
I use table salt also. I forgot all about zinc. My mom used to cover her face in zinc ointment before bed! Can’t stop laughing here. Sometimes a full ghostly mask, other times big white eyebrows, or a moustache (wherever a blemish or rash appeared 😁. She’s beautiful so my butt’s getting some zinc now, too!

Do you see a Colon-Rectal physician? My Crohn's first manifested as an anal abscess so the first physician I saw was a Colon-Rectal Surgeon, and have seen him many times since! The Crohn's treatment is managed by a GI, but the Colon-Rectal surgeon has special tools to look at the anus and also the expertise to know what's going on, and can recommend either over the counter aids, such as Balneol and Calmoseptine, or prescription steroidal ointments.

I just got put on a two month 50mg Prednisone taper, antibiotics, Domperidom added to the regimen. And more Clobatesol. Waiting on emergency upper and lower GI soon. Hoping to see surgeon in next two weeks.

I get it when my stool is soft, or I go to the toilet often. At first I think it got worse because I over-wiped. I felt like I never got clean. But for me it finally worked to bring wet wipes. Making sure the area is clean after doing no 2. And sometimes zink ointment. But with using the wet wipes I usually don't get sore.

There's a lotion called "Balneol" that my colon-rectal surgeon recommended. It seems to help. It's expensive but seems to last a long time.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I no longer have to worry about this, and it's thanks to trying two of the options mentioned above. The Greek yogurt did provide a great instant relief, and applying a cortisone cream afterwards made the itch completely go away after 3-4 days.