Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How do I shower with a Picc Line?

12-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Nadia96

My Support Groups:
How do I shower with a Picc Line?

Hi so I had another relapse and have been in hospital for a week with hydrocortisone and IV fluids. Today they put a picc line in as my veins are all damaged from the cannulas and they said itís better for the long term with me being on treatment; although they may have to stop vedoluzimab as it doesnít seem to be working that well, but it does depend on the CT scan tomorrow morning.

My question is, does anyone here have a picc line and how do you shower without it getting wet? The radiographer told me that getting it wet it will cause an infection and I really donít want to end up in a bigger mess than I already am. I have seen plastic cling films hat can go over the line, but are they worth buying?
12-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Did a quick search - found this interesting video/tutorial.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfUgcS58gM

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Jabee

My Support Groups:
I had a picc line in for a month a number of years ago when I had Lyme disease. I actually canít remember whether I showered or just had baths. I think your best bet would be to get one of those ďcast coveringĒ things. Iím assuming it is in your arm? I also used the tubular material they put on before casts to keep it covered. It was really easy to use and I had no problems with it.
12-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Womble

the hospital had me use normal cling film
Give it a good wrap in that and you should be ok
Mine survived
Hope you feel better soon
The dressing round it should have a degree of waterproof too
12-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Nadia96

My Support Groups:
I had a picc line in for a month a number of years ago when I had Lyme disease. I actually canít remember whether I showered or just had baths. I think your best bet would be to get one of those ďcast coveringĒ things. Iím assuming it is in your arm? I also used the tubular material they put on before casts to keep it covered. It was really easy to use and I had no problems with it.
It is in my arm. I was thinking around the same thing.
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Nadia96

My Support Groups:
the hospital had me use normal cling film
Give it a good wrap in that and you should be ok
Mine survived
Hope you feel better soon
The dressing round it should have a degree of waterproof too
Okay. I actually havenít been told how to cover it, just to keep it away from water. I will do thanks
12-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Womble

Okay. I actually havenít been told how to cover it, just to keep it away from water. I will do thanks
To be fair, I had to ask them!
Lol

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How do I shower with a Picc Line?