• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and Prednisolone

Hi there. New member to the forum so hello! I just got diagnosed with Crohn's disease and was hospitalised. Whilst there i was on IV steroid and have Prednisolone oral tablets at home. I am currently on 35mg and reducing 5mg a week. I have noticed that i have developed moon face and my appetite has increased. The food this time of year certainly doesn't help. Is moon face something to be concerned about and should it go away when i carry on reducing / stopped the steroids? Any advice appreciated!

my little penguin

Staff member
Moon face is common
It goes away typically a month or two after you have stopped pred
The longer you are on the steriods
The longer it takes to go away

What maintenance meds have you started
Those are started the same time as pred so that it can take over once the pred is stopped
Maintenance meds like 6-mp and aza takes 3-4 months to work
Methotrexate takes 8-12 weeks to work
Biologics
Remicade takes 6 weeks
Humira 3-5 months
So that’s why it’s important to start maintenance right away

Moon face is common
It goes away typically a month or two after you have stopped pred
The longer you are on the steriods
The longer it takes to go away

What maintenance meds have you started
Those are started the same time as pred so that it can take over once the pred is stopped
Maintenance meds like 6-mp and aza takes 3-4 months to work
Methotrexate takes 8-12 weeks to work
Biologics
Remicade takes 6 weeks
Humira 3-5 months
So that’s why it’s important to start maintenance right away
I am on pentasa at the moment. Will be on steroids until February so that is like about 3 months. I know it is more noticeable to me but hate it. Will try dieting too to keep the weight off!

my little penguin

Staff member
Pentasa is not approved as a monotherapy for Crohns
Pentasa only treats the top layer of the intestine like a cream
It works very well for ulcerative colitis since that only affects the top layer but not Crohns
Crohns affects all layers through of the intestine
So the top is treated but the underlying layers are left to simmer with inflammation
Simmering inflammation can lead to scar tissue obstruction fistulas etc....
Please ask your GI what they are using to treat the REST of the layers of your intestine

And prevent scar tissue

They started Ds on this first
I didn’t know the info then
Later when I boldly assked what they were using to treat the other layers
They suddenly switched Ds meds to immunosuppressants
Such as 6-mp/aza or methotrexate

Good luck

Pentasa is not approved as a monotherapy for Crohns
Pentasa only treats the top layer of the intestine like a cream
It works very well for ulcerative colitis since that only affects the top layer but not Crohns
Crohns affects all layers through of the intestine
So the top is treated but the underlying layers are left to simmer with inflammation
Simmering inflammation can lead to scar tissue obstruction fistulas etc....
Please ask your GI what they are using to treat the REST of the layers of your intestine

And prevent scar tissue

They started Ds on this first
I didn’t know the info then
Later when I boldly assked what they were using to treat the other layers
They suddenly switched Ds meds to immunosuppressants
Such as 6-mp/aza or methotrexate

Good luck
I have to use that at the moment due to abnormalities in my liver function tests which was due to another medication. These results are improving and maybe get put on another medication once it has settled. It is working just now. I live in scotland so maybe our meds can differ. I was told it was primarily used for uc but the only safe drug for me at the moment.

my little penguin

Staff member
If your having liver issues that makes more sense
Unfortunately Pentasa isn’t any more effective though
The meds are the same around the world

If your having liver issues that makes more sense
Unfortunately Pentasa isn’t any more effective though
The meds are the same around the world
Liver tests are getting better and will open me up to options of more suitable drugs. I have stopped taking what was causing the liver function test to go funny! They just can't take the risk at the moment even though the liver function tests were fine at the time of hospital admission. Understand how they have to wait but feel on the mend at least.

Hi DonnaC, I understand moon face is not great but it goes away after you stop prednisone. If you have liver issues at the moment, prednisone is probably your best ally to fight against inflammation now, so be patient and i'm sure you'll feel and look better soon.