01-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Beautiful-disaster

Results on Wed

Hey. So I get my biopsy results on Wednesday and Iím so worried incase they say there is nothing wrong, Iíve read IBS does not cause any inflammation, my stool calprotectin was 255 and if they say they found inflammation on my biopsies, is that enough for a crohns diagnosis? Before anyone has a go at me, I know that 255 might not be high to you, but itís enough to cause me very bad symptoms - I respect your readings, please respect mine 😊 also instead of diarrheah Iím now suffering constipation bad havenít been for probably 4 days now - does this happen with crohns too? Thanks everyone xx
01-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Womble

I donít think people will have a go at you.
Current research shows Ibs can cause mild inflammation. And I believe the nhs are trying to raise the boundaries for FCí cut offs.
The biopsy will look for chronic inflammation, crypts. Cysts, changes in the cell structure.
They may wish to run further tests like cts or mre.
The symptoms you have may be Ibd , or a huge list of other causes.
Good luck for Wednesday, and happy new year!!
01-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Beautiful-disaster

Thank you. I really hope they find something so I can be treated 😔 canít live like this anymore. Happy new year!
01-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Womble

Areas of chronic inflammation, comprising increased lamina propria plasma cells and lymphocytes, in association with chronic architectural distortion with patchy, mild to severe, neutrophilic inflammation, including neutrophilic cryptitis, crypt abscesses, or erosions/ulcers
Skip lesions comprising focal, patchy erosions or ulcers, vertical fissures, and fistulas
The hint of "skip lesions" Ė Mucosal fragments from the same level of the colon have variable microscopic findings.
Transmural inflammation with multiple lymphoid aggregates
Granulomas
Submucosal fibrosis and neuromuscular hyperplasia of submucosa
01-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Womble

Found that on medscape, hope it helps a bit
01-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Beautiful-disaster

I donít understand that, but thank you x
01-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds has constipation mainly with his Crohns
The highest recorded fecal caloprotectin he had was 234
His scopes looked visually ok
But biopsies showed acute and chronic inflammation plus granulomas
So he was dx with Crohns
That said granulomas are only found in 30% of cases
So not necessarily needed for a dx
Pathologist like them and some insist on them to check the Crohns dx box

Good luck
01-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Beautiful-disaster

Thank you penguin!! They said I look physically ok when I had colonoscopy but took the 8 biopsies - youíve given me a bit of hope. Thank you!
01-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also even if your colonoscopy is clear your disease could be in the very long small intestine
This requires imaging
Capsule endoscopy and MRE to evaluate the small intestine
01-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
Beautiful-disaster

Iím going to write all of this down so I can fire questions should I need too! I get a lot of pain (right now) all over my tum, not just the lower right hand side, itís literally the entire tummy. Ugh
01-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My daughter also tends to have a lower FC - her highest has been 480 but she has been in the 200 range many times. Her scopes at diagnosis showed ulcers in her colon and inflammation in her terminal ileum. Biopsies showed chronic inflammation and granulomas - it was a clear Crohn's diagnosis.

People with ileal (small bowel) Crohn's disease tend to have lower Fecal Calprotectins than those with colonic disease.

I would also ask for a pillcam or MRE to check your small bowel if scopes come back clean.

Crohn's is a tough disease - everyone presents differently. My daughter only had abdominal pain, some constipation and weight loss when she was diagnosed, no diarrhea or bleeding. We were shocked to find out it was Crohn's.

That said, IBS can also cause pretty nasty symptoms and can really make you miserable. It doesn't cause damage like Crohn's, but it can still really impact your life. There are a few IBS meds you can try plus diet changes IF that is what you have.

Hang in there and good luck!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
01-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
Scipio

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
also instead of diarrheah Iím now suffering constipation bad havenít been for probably 4 days now - does this happen with crohns too? Thanks everyone xx
Yes, it does. As a general trend, diarrhea is more common in in Crohn's cases that affect the colon, and constipation is more common in cases where the disease is confined to the small bowel. Of course there can be exceptions in both directions. In my own case (ileal CD), I'm more likely to get constipation. Diarrhea is a very rare event for me.