• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and high vitamin B-12 level?

I just read the latest results of my child's bloodtests and I realised that his vitamin B-12 level is quite high: 1440 ng/L while the normal values seem to be between 191-663. I have always been worried about the possibility that he has B-12 defieciency like many Crohn's patients and now I am a bit confused.

Has anybody else the same? Should I be worried?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My B12 level is over 1,000 but I also have B12 shots. Without them its pretty low. Sorry I don't have much information other than I'm still alive with high amounts of B12. None of my doctors are concerned by the high number. Perhaps it might of been a mistake and you could retest soon?

Finally I found something that could explain my son's high vitamin B-12 level:

http://www.yourhealthbase.com/B12overload.htm

According to the article it could be due to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. My son has been taking Omeprazole for years which is a proton pump inhibitor and may contribute to the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

I know this is an old thread but my son (age 19) also has had high b12.....1224 last year and is 1042 now. Both times his fecal calprotectin is also through the roof at the same time. Did you ever get confirmation about your son? My son is not on proton pump inhibitors and does not take B12 supplements. I looked at the scary stuff and his liver enzymes are normal as are his white counts so I am leading towards crohns related but I am a worrier. Thanks for any information. I will read your link as well.

Mine was not concerned last year but when he emailed me about what to do re-high FCP he asked if did any supplements because his B12 was high. I did remind him it was higher last year and of course, I can't expect him to remember that. Then I got worried. I thought it was mentioned that is can be due to an overgrowth of bacteria or something of that nature. I guess if they both have it, it is likely a Crohns thing...shrug indeed. Hope they will look at his stool for infectious agents and then draw some blood so we can make a plan. As we all know, waiting for something to happen is an awful feeling for a parent. Really hope it is infectious in a way so he can stay on Stelara...it is just so easy and he has no side effects.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has also had a high B12. Our GI was not concerned either. I don't think her FCP was high when she had one - I think she's had a high B12 several times.

She does take a multi-vitamin and at the time, she was on Neocate for about 40% of her calories. I couldn't figure out if she was getting too much from somewhere but her GI said to continue both.

I was on B-12 shots monthly for over a year and last month I went to see my Doctor, she was away and there was another Doctor covering for her. He told me that too many people are prescribed the shot when you can just take the vitamin B-12 tablet. This is great news for me and now I don't have to worry about running up to the Pharmacist to get my shot. I just pop a B-12 under my tongue every day. He told me that the shot isn't as effective as the tablet because it gives a high dose that just dissipates rather than keeping an even amount in the system. Great news because I don't have go to the Doctor, get a prescription, then run up to the druggist every month. Perhaps it may be good to check into a bit more.. so far it is working well for me.

I too have high levels on B12. I have no idea what that means or what I'm supposed to do with that information. See the doctor in about 2 weeks

Susiedaynysmom, Please let us know what the doctor says. We heard it can happen with bacterial overgrowth in the ileum. It seems a lot of people do have this. Thanks.