Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #181
hugh

My Support Groups:
My question is this: Fiber is not digested by the body. Fiber is undigestable by nature. So why is it illegal on SCD? The body does break it down, it just passes through, so why does it matter if there is starch in it?

I hope someone can help me out with this!
+

Much fibre is fermentable, ie food for bacteria, that's the reason it is not SCD legal.
You should find that on SCD you have less need for this 'poo bulking agent'

Elaine writes:
Psyllium husks are loaded with cellulose and lignin which some bacteria thrive on. We accept that the cellulose in vegetables and fruit can be handled OK but a concentrated form such as husks would not be in order. It is illegal.

Last edited by hugh; 10-17-2012 at 03:42 AM.
01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #182
three crows

My Support Groups:
Hello all.
I began the SCD in June of 2012. It's been an interesting journey to say the least! I make 2 liters of yogurt about twice a week for my husband and me. We will be going on vacation and I'm worried about being without my SCD yogurt and what other foods I will be able to find on my trip. We're going to the Bahamas. Does anyone have suggestions? I can't take the yogurt with me and it doesn't make sense to try to make it while I'm there. We'll be there less than a week and on a sailboat much of the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice or support!
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #183
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Regarding your yogurt, could you switch over to probiotics in pill form? Or maybe test yourself to see how you do without yogurt since you're only going to be gone for a week anyway.

Hello all.
I began the SCD in June of 2012. It's been an interesting journey to say the least! I make 2 liters of yogurt about twice a week for my husband and me. We will be going on vacation and I'm worried about being without my SCD yogurt and what other foods I will be able to find on my trip. We're going to the Bahamas. Does anyone have suggestions? I can't take the yogurt with me and it doesn't make sense to try to make it while I'm there. We'll be there less than a week and on a sailboat much of the time.

01-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #184
Tantija

Hello all.

Hi! I use probiotics in pill form also while traveling.
SCD Diet since December 2011
B12 one injection in 3 month
Vitamin D, Zinc
Medication free
01-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #185
Susan2

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
If you can buy organic yoghurt with nothing added except the probiotics, that should be OK.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #186
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello all.

We have never used the yogurt because we are concerned about the dairy proteins in it. There are several good probiotics recommended for SCD. Klaire labs makes one that is specifically SCD compliant (acidophilus only and no fillers) and there is another company or two that makes it also. Honestly though, I would think one week would be fine without any since you have been on it for several months. No guarantee though.
Enteral Nutrition
01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #187
three crows

My Support Groups:
Hi. Thank you partlycloudy, Tantija, Susan2 and Charleigh for your helpful responses. I have a probiotic by Schiff that I take, though I'm not convinced it's "all that". It was the best choice of what was available locally. I looked into ordering from GI Prohealth, but wow, one bottle of SCDophilus (sp?) was almost $30 plus another $8+ for shipping.

Prior to the SCD, I always took a probiotic which kept me in good stead. But it had Bifidus in it, which is illegal. So trying to find things without ANY of the illegal additives is tough unless you order online.

And yeah, Susan2, you mentioned finding a yogurt there. I never had trouble with the lactose in yogurt before, so I was kind of wondering if I'd be better off eating store bought - such as the Dannon Plain that I use for a starter - than no yogurt at all?

My husband and I went on a road trip and camped our way to Acadia NP in Maine this past Sept and it was wonderful except that by the time we got home I was having GI issues, in some pain and not a happy camper. hahaha (pun not intended)

I had taken my yogurt with me, but I believe the cultures didn't survive past about day 4. Temp control in a cooler wasn't easy. Plus, I ate too many nuts and dried fruits as snacks. So I will be careful about that this time.

Will try to find better probiotics this week and get going on those. Even if it's just for peace of mind.

Thanks again!
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #188
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If you can find a good acidophilus supplement then I suggest you take it, if for nothing else the peace of mind

When we started SCD I gave my son a probiotic that seemed safe in ingredients but it had bifidus. It made him so sick. He seems to be doing fine with the acidophilus only though. So I definitely caution you against the bifidus. An organic grocery here has a store shelf yogurt that looked very safe. It specifically said it was processed longer to reduce lactose and it had no additives and only contained acidophilus strains. Something like that would be nice, if you can find it.

Have you seen the SCD support thread? When you return from your trip you should pop in and give us your tips since you have been doing this longer

Good luck, hope this trip is better than your last!
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #189
three crows

My Support Groups:
If you can find a good acidophilus supplement then I suggest you take it, if for nothing else the peace of mind

When we started SCD I gave my son a probiotic that seemed safe in ingredients but it had bifidus. It made him so sick. He seems to be doing fine with the acidophilus only though. So I definitely caution you against the bifidus. An organic grocery here has a store shelf yogurt that looked very safe. It specifically said it was processed longer to reduce lactose and it had no additives and only contained acidophilus strains. Something like that would be nice, if you can find it.

Have you seen the SCD support thread? When you return from your trip you should pop in and give us your tips since you have been doing this longer

Good luck, hope this trip is better than your last!
Ah, I thought I had seen a SCD support thread on here somewhere during my previous visits to the site, but hadn't tracked it down recently. I definitely will head over there and join in that conversation. Thanks! And I'll look into that organic brand of yogurt you mentioned. Much appreciated!
02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #190
Trithan

My Support Groups:
Hello all. I have been reading this thread for the past couple of days now and found that there is great information in here from alot of people. I have Crohns/Colitis and am currently on Humira for the past year and a half. The Humira has worked great and I have been in remission the entire time. I have some side effects (rashes on feet, legs, wrists, palms) from the Humira, but thats about it. I have been doing some research on SCD and really thinking about trying it. I am 34 and dont want to be on these meds any further (scared of the long term side effects). I came to the conclusion that I can live with crohns, but the meds I'm taking to help me, may do more damage in the long run than the crohns would.

So looking into the diet worries me about the will power to stay on it. Another worry is that I have three young children at home and it will be very hard to make two seperate meals all day long, but luckily thats the wifes job.....LOL. I am currently in remission so I may just try removing all grains (except rice........wife is chinese, this may be hard), dairy (except the legal cheese's) and sugars. to see how that goes. From reading 'Braking the Viscious Cycle' it sounds taht you should be strict on the diet when experiencing an flare up, but when in remission you can introduce a little of the illegal foods.......which sounds like a plan to me. Will be hard to make alot of my own foods (like the yogurt) so plan on supplimenting with probiotics (floristar).

Again, thanks to the people out there who have added great comments from the knowledge and experiience they have with the diet. I plan on continuing my reading of the threads to learn more.
04-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #191
Candrbeth

Hello everyone!! I have an update on the hubby...

He has been on the SCD since September of last year. He had decided after the first dose of the Humira, to try to go medication free. Two weeks ago, he had an upper scope done. He had two fistulas where the small and large intestine had met. When the scope was completed the technician asked him if he had recently been diagnosed with Crohns. Hubby said no, I've had issues on and off since I was 13. The tech looked shocked and said that it didn't appear he had ever had Crohns.

He had his follow-up with the GI today, to review the results of the scope. I get a text message from him that says- Fistulas are healed! I do not go back to the GI for 6 months.

I was in tears! I cannot begin to thank this place!!! I know I haven't posted much, but just the search and the suggestion on the diet, have changed our lives. If it were not for all of your wonderful stories, advice and sharing ideas here, people such as my husband would not have even known this diet existed.

Continue helping one another, and I hope to be able to share this success with as many as possible. There is a mother in my son's cub scout den, whom I told about this forum and the diet. Finally in desperation, she is giving it a try. I know some of you stated that the diet isn't for everyone and I know that everyone's body is different, but you never know who it can work for!!

Thank you all again!
04-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #192
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is fantastic Candi! Hope your husband continues to do well. Thanks for sharing your story.
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #193
David
Co-Founder

That's fantastic Candi!

04-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #194
Tantija

[QUOTE=Trithan;585607]

So looking into the diet worries me about the will power to stay on it. Another worry is that I have three young children at home and it will be very hard to make two seperate meals all day long, but luckily thats the wifes job.....LOL. I am currently in remission so I may just try removing all grains (except rice........wife is chinese, this may be hard), dairy (except the legal cheese's) and sugars. to see how that goes. From reading 'Braking the Viscious Cycle' it sounds taht you should be strict on the diet when experiencing an flare up, but when in remission you can introduce a little of the illegal foods.......which sounds like a plan to me. Will be hard to make alot of my own foods (like the yogurt) so plan on supplimenting with probiotics (floristar).
QUOTE]
Hi,
I am on the diet since December 2011 and can see great results. My blood test does not show any inflammation and MRI test shows improvement. I am not on any medication.
In my opinion there is no point of removing only some food from your menu. The point is to remove ALL starch and sugar from your diet otherwise it is not worth all the effort. I am sorry but I do not think you will get any results if you still eat rice as itís full of starch. Also even I like Chinese food I believe I will never eat it again and not only because of the rice but soya sauce also. I do cook separately for me and my boyfriend but he is fine to eat just meat or fish with the salad as well.

I have read the book twice before starting the diet and do not remember anything saying that you can introduce a little of the illegal foods while on the diet. I remember that after 2 years of the diet you can introduce a little of the illegal foods to see how it tolerated.
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #195
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Hi Dave,

Humira stopped working for me and I was back on 20mg pred and still suffering.

I just started the SCD diet yesterday! In fact I had been on a low-residue diet for a couple of days for a colonoscopy (this was clear thanks perhaps to the tons of meds I have taken over several years but symptoms remain).

Some of the elements of the diet like the SCD yoghurt were already in my diet and may have helped already. Anyway I finally got the courage to go for it and my wife and I have got familiar with the concept and recipes etc. What tipped the scales was the mum of Incredible E, who suggested that a stricter approach was needed.

What am I missing? Sugar of course but then I have tons of local honeys to choose from. Bread, certainly, but almond bread is OK if a little dry. Fortunately I was never a pasta or rice person, though I might eventually try rice - diets like Prof Hunter in England, which are very similar to SCD in most respects, include rice. My bananas now have to be fully ripe, but I just spend more time choosing them in the market.

What I will eventually get back is much of the fruit and veg I have eschewed, because once things settle down I should be able to take these. Thanks heavens cheddar cheese is permitted, that one I would have a problem. The cheese and homemade yoghurt give me protein and calcium.

Day 1 I was not good in afternoon. Today better.

Positives: no bloating after evening meal, better on wake up (used to get a baseball bat in the guts on waking), clearer head and despite coming off pred before the colonoscopy my arthritic symptoms have not worsened. Maybe wishful thinking but I feel my body is overall happier.

Do I have to be prepared for feeling crap as the bacterial overgrowth dies etc?

No I am not even going to discuss it with my gastroenterologist who thinks surgery and drugs the only answers and says "eat what you like" - what a moronic blinkered approach and he is head of department. I won't change him because he's the one who puts the tubes up my arse and he's a good surgeon. I will discuss it with my GP though because I want to spread any good news.

There I am getting way ahead of things - just really starting - wish me luck!
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #196
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Good luck!
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #197
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Dave,

What I will eventually get back is much of the fruit and veg I have eschewed, because once things settle down I should be able to take these. Thanks heavens cheddar cheese is permitted, that one I would have a problem. The cheese and homemade yoghurt give me protein and calcium.

Day 1 I was not good in afternoon. Today better.

Positives: no bloating after evening meal, better on wake up (used to get a baseball bat in the guts on waking), clearer head and despite coming off pred before the colonoscopy my arthritic symptoms have not worsened. Maybe wishful thinking but I feel my body is overall happier.

Do I have to be prepared for feeling crap as the bacterial overgrowth dies etc?

No I am not even going to discuss it with my gastroenterologist who thinks surgery and drugs the only answers and says "eat what you like" - what a moronic blinkered approach and he is head of department. I won't change him because he's the one who puts the tubes up my arse and he's a good surgeon. I will discuss it with my GP though because I want to spread any good news.

There I am getting way ahead of things - just really starting - wish me luck!
E had a time period where he felt just awful. He actually dropped weight at first, felt flu-like, and ran a high temp. He did this twice in the first 10-14 days Then, he started feeling better.....slowly and surely he was getting better. Don't fret if it gets worse before it gets better. Give it time and don't give up.

E can eat so much more than he could when he first went on the diet. He still does not eat the yogurt or cheese but he eats almost any fruit or veggie that he wants (raw or cooked). He can eat nuts, etc. He couldn't eat a wide variety of foods at first though or he got D. It just proves to me that he is healing from the inside out. Also, his last stool test was blood free, which floored his doctor!
04-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #198
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I am now one week in, including an initial three days pre-colonoscopy diet. I feel no worse than before except it is now without any further doses of prednisone or Humira. Apart fro my daily search for ripe bananas no big problem, because I am married to a culinary saint.

When can I expect to hit the "die-off" period, another week????

To the guy somewhere above with rice issues (Chinese wife) I would look at the Addenbrookes diet (prof John Hunter) which is similar to SCD and permits rice. However, as to also continuing sugar and other things I think you will negate the benefit.
04-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #199
hugh

My Support Groups:
To the guy somewhere above with rice issues (Chinese wife) I would look at the Addenbrookes diet (prof John Hunter) which is similar to SCD and permits rice. However, as to also continuing sugar and other things I think you will negate the benefit.
the 'Perfect healt diet' is paleo based and allows white rice, due to it's low toxicity, although some have speculated that it is because his wife is chinese, so if rice is your only grain then you may be OK

"Is Shou-Ching to blame for our rice habit?"
Rice is very low in toxicity. Most rice toxins reside in the bran, so milled white rice is already low in toxins. The great majority of white rice toxins are destroyed in cooking.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/06...ur-rice-habit/
04-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #200
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
the 'Perfect healt diet' is paleo based and allows white rice, due to it's low toxicity, although some have speculated that it is because his wife is chinese, so if rice is your only grain then you may be OK

"Is Shou-Ching to blame for our rice habit?"
Rice is very low in toxicity. Most rice toxins reside in the bran, so milled white rice is already low in toxins. The great majority of white rice toxins are destroyed in cooking.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/06...ur-rice-habit/
Trying to remember....didn't you stick with a stricter SCD/GAPS style diet for a while before adding white rice? How long did you wait? E is doing so great I have considered trying it but I am nervous. The calories would be nice.
Do you ever use rice flour or do you only stick with actual rice?

Thanks
04-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #201
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I was too ambitious coming off all meds at start of diet. Going back on 7.5 pred as I have to have an appetite and control flares while the diet works. I also have secondary arthritis and I am starting to lock up.

What have the SCD dieters done about tailing off meds? Do you wait until you feel better?
04-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #202
hugh

My Support Groups:
I was too ambitious coming off all meds at start of diet. Going back on 7.5 pred as I have to have an appetite and control flares while the diet works. I also have secondary arthritis and I am starting to lock up.

What have the SCD dieters done about tailing off meds? Do you wait until you feel better?
Is there a reason you can't go Paleo/SCD while on meds?
I think that will be the easiest way (you won't know what is helping and what isn't, but you should be able to taper your meds as you improve)
04-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #203
hugh

My Support Groups:
Do you ever use rice flour or do you only stick with actual rice?
Thanks
Rice is NOT SCD and NOT paleo,
If anyone does add rice please give the diets a fair amount of time and add rice in without adding anything else to confuse the issue.(I was pure paleo for 18 months and was totally symptom free) .
- edit- paleo with hard cheese and ghee
I found i never needed the extra calories (but i ate lots of paleo sweet potato and roast veg) but the taste with a chicken curry or a stir fry was wonderful, and it helps the budget alot.
i use white rice and rice noodles.
04-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #204
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Is there a reason you can't go Paleo/SCD while on meds?
I think that will be the easiest way (you won't know what is helping and what isn't, but you should be able to taper your meds as you improve)
Sorry, to make it clear I am one week into the SCD diet and will continue. I had decided to be med- free from the start but that was unrealistic so now I will take prednisone in as low a dose as possible to control flares and give me an appetite for the things I can eat.
04-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #205
hugh

My Support Groups:
sound like a good plan,
some might start off med free but they are starting from a different place.
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #206
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Rice is NOT SCD and NOT paleo,
If anyone does add rice please give the diets a fair amount of time and add rice in without adding anything else to confuse the issue.(I was pure paleo for 18 months and was totally symptom free) .
- edit- paleo with hard cheese and ghee
I found i never needed the extra calories (but i ate lots of paleo sweet potato and roast veg) but the taste with a chicken curry or a stir fry was wonderful, and it helps the budget alot.
i use white rice and rice noodles.
Thanks, Hugh. I know that rice is not SCD but thanks for clarifying that for those who may not be aware I wasn't planning to try rice any time soon but I was curious how long you waited.
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #207
Amy2

My Support Groups:

My daughter, who has been on the diet for 7 years, began it right after Prednisone had put her into remission, drug free, but we plan to taper our son's Pentasa and Prevacid...see how he does.
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #208
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I hope your daughter is doing well. I think the difference is that I cannot get into remission through the medication so I am starting with reduced meds which I then hope to eliminate when I achieve remission through a combination of meds and diet. Without prednisone in doses of 7.5 I just flare up and cannot eat much at all so I do not want to go back down that road, however positive I feel about the diet over time.
04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #209
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Yes, daughter has remained drug free for 7 years and feels great, even though she no longer strictly follows the diet.
05-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #210
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I am delighted for her and wish the same success for your son. Stories like this keep me going as I start to go through the period where it "gets worse before it gets better". Feel like I have flu but it feels different to the Crohn's, though maybe that's in there as well. Whatever, I am set on it now. I WILL succeed.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support