Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #211
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
can anyone tell me if flour made from grape pips is SCD compliant (no other ingredients)?
05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #212
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
grape pips? I have never heard of such a thing?
Enteral Nutrition
05-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #213
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Trying to find flour substitutes in France and came across this ( the grape pip flour). It's bio. Can't see why not but now I am converted I want to follow the rules. Sure sounds safer than a croissant, though....

My next project is a cottage cheese/farmers cheese equivalent and I have been looking at the local brousse which is made from either fresh goats or ewes milk. The problem is she doesn't seem to approve of goats cheese (by which I am much the loser round here) so maybe same applies?

Thank heavens mature cheddar cheese is so clearly ok and that I finally have a reliable supply route established. Just need something a bit like bread to wrap around it.

Last edited by Paul Cronk; 05-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
05-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #214
hugh

My Support Groups:
Paul,
Grapes, grape juice and grape seed oil are all 'legal', so you should be ok on Grape seed flour although it may be a bit strong on it's own?

Almond flour is a staple in our house, and for cakes it is amazing (once you get the hang of it (we beat the egg whites till stiff and fold in half of them and then the other half to get the right texture)) but i have yet to find a good almond flour bread. Coconut flour has potential too but both are nothing like flour.
There are thousands of recipes out there with the gluten free 'fad'.
Google paleo or SCD

Goat or Ewe's milk yougurt is fine, but see if you can get kefir grains, apparently contains far more strains of bacteria.
"Goat milk is much more digestible than cow’s milk and is often an option if you face a cow’s milk sensitivity/allergy. According to Dr. Natasha in The Gut and Psychology Syndrome:

Goats milk is considered to be more digestible by humans as it contains less casein and different types of fats and proteins.
"
http://empoweredsustenance.com/scd-goat-milk-yogurt/

http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/08/easy...t-milk-yogurt/
http://www.geocities.com/scd_post/faq2.html#goatyogurt
http://www.pecanbread.com/new/yogurt1.html
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...l/scd-yoghurt/

Some find the diet works well out of the box, some have to tweak,
I found this article interesting as a progression of diet fiddling.....
http://eugenia.queru.com/2012/12/08/...-gaps-fodmaps/
05-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #215
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Paul,

Almond flour is a staple in our house, and for cakes it is amazing (once you get the hang of it (we beat the egg whites till stiff and fold in half of them and then the other half to get the right texture)) but i have yet to find a good almond flour bread. Coconut flour has potential too but both are nothing like flour.

]
We find this very true too. I gave up on finding a bread replacement. The closest thing is a flat bread I make from cauliflower. E likes cookies, etc made from almond flour but you do need a recipe created with almond flour in mind. You can just substitute almond flour equally with wheat flour in any old recipe. You probably can't do that for grape seed flour either.
05-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #216
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Thank you both. We will stick with the almond flour. Ordered some kefir starter from Amazon and Will use with local bio goats milk. At first I will keep up the bio milk SCD compliant yog too, but a little less of it and even longer matured. I may have had to go back on 15mg pred but I fell better than before when dose was higher. My head is clearer and my nerves are more settled. Convinced this is the right direction even if I still need some meds for now.

Bon weekend!
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #217
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
.....do I make kefir in the same way as yog using the same (well cleaned) or duplicate equipment? Now I use an Easiyo thermos (tho not their culture which has bifidus).
05-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #218
incik

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I hope your daughter is doing well. I think the difference is that I cannot get into remission through the medication so I am starting with reduced meds which I then hope to eliminate when I achieve remission through a combination of meds and diet. Without prednisone in doses of 7.5 I just flare up and cannot eat much at all so I do not want to go back down that road, however positive I feel about the diet over time.

Hi! My daughter skipped the meds, when we had been on SCD diet ca 3 months. Totally symptom free we were after 1 year of SCD... So it can take much time, before the diet has healed your guts. Be patient
now avoid wheat,lactose,sugar.
No meds last 3 years.
05-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #219
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Reading under common mistakes at pecanbread, was: Starting the yogurt too soon. But, yogurt is part of the into-diet.

I am confused.
05-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #220
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Reading under common mistakes at pecanbread, was: Starting the yogurt too soon. But, yogurt is part of the into-diet.

I am confused.
I think that the science behind SCD is fantastic and it makes sense. At the same time, it isn't a one-size-fits-all deal. Many with crohn's cannot digest the milk proteins and for them it isn't just a lactose issue. I really think this is why some try SCD and say it doesn't work ~ they aren't willing to tweak. We have had to tweak SCD for E. He cannot have dairy at all, even the lactose free type, and he can't eat legumes (so no peanuts or peanut butter).
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #221
hugh

My Support Groups:
I have to agree with Charleigh,
I improved greatly on SCD but always had D until i stopped the yougurt.
05-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #222
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have to agree with Charleigh,
I improved greatly on SCD but always had D until i stopped the yougurt.
Hugh, forgive me if I have asked you this in the past, but do you take acidophilus or any other probiotics? If so, is there a brand of acidophilus you rely on? I have been ordering an SCD compliant brand for E but sometimes it is difficult to get. I would love a fall back brand
05-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #223
hugh

My Support Groups:
No, i don't,
i played around with probiotics but never felt they did much until i found kefir and kombucha.
I do believe they helped and that's all i take, but i'm at the mild end of the spectrum
05-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #224
Ya noy

.....do I make kefir in the same way as yog using the same (well cleaned) or duplicate equipment? Now I use an Easiyo thermos (tho not their culture which has bifidus).
No, you don't need any equipment to make kefir. You just set a bowl of milk in the counter, let it warm to room temperature, add your kefir grains, cover with a towel or dense cloth, and let sit for 24-48 hours, or until it thickens to the desired consistency.

kefir is actually much easier to make than yogurt, and contains far more strains of beneficial probiotics.
05-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #225
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
just to second what ya noy said, kefir is far easier to make than yogurt.

That being said, E simply cant handle dairy so he did not do okay on cow's milk kefir and the coconut milk kefir didn't seem to really help at all. I really wish E could tolerate dairy.
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #226
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I feel better each day I am on the diet. We all become masters of positive thinking to handle this disease but what I am getting now is a big surge of spontaneous optimism. I catch myself feeling good. Spring helps, but this time I do believe I have found at the very least a powerful health weapon. Got up above 2000 Calories a day and starting to gain weight marginally.
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #227
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I feel better each day I am on the diet. We all become masters of positive thinking to handle this disease but what I am getting now is a big surge of spontaneous optimism. I catch myself feeling good. Spring helps, but this time I do believe I have found at the very least a powerful health weapon. Got up above 2000 Calories a day and starting to gain weight marginally.
So great to hear that you are feeling good. It only gets better
05-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #228
hugh

My Support Groups:
but what I am getting now is a big surge of spontaneous optimism. I catch myself feeling good.
be careful, it might be contagious....
05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #229
Amy2

My Support Groups:
When do you go from stage 1 to stage 2 to stage 3 foods, etc.? I'm afraid that since my daughter did the diet 7 years ago and not vegetarian, she's forgotten a lot and hasn't been much help to us.

The diet couldn't be more confusing to me. I read that you should wait 3 months to introduce peanut butter, but there are peanut butter recipes in stage 2. I don't get it.

Last edited by Amy2; 05-11-2013 at 01:16 PM.
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #230
hugh

My Support Groups:
first thing is relax!,
it's not cast in stone and there are small inconsistencies in the diet,

according to pecan bread.....

"The Stages of SCD

2. Introduce ONE new food at a time- a two to four day interval is a great (but not mandatory) guideline for introducing new foods. This will make it possible determine whether each new food can be tolerated.

3. This chart is based on the healing process that is taking place.
It is not based on a timeline
. Some people may be able to add new foods more quickly than others.

4. This list of foods is not all inclusive. "

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

I'd recommend not eating peanuts, they are not nuts, they are legumes,
Almond butter is a better choice.

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/
"The far bigger concern, however, is that peanuts contain lectins which are believed to have inflammatory and atherogenic potential. Most plants contain lectins, some of which are toxic, inflammatory, or both. Many of these lectins are resistant to cooking and to digestive enzymes, and some have been scientifically shown to have significant GI toxicity in humans. Lectins from grains (especially wheat) and legumes (including peanuts and soybeans) are most commonly associated with aggravation of inflammatory and digestive diseases in the body. (As an aside, dairy from cows fed grain-based diets can also contain these grain-derived lectins.)

Recent research by Dr. Cordain has suggested that these lectins may effectively serve as a “Trojan horse” allowing foreign proteins to invade our natural gut defenses. Cordain reports, “An experiment conducted by Dr. Wang and colleagues and published in the prestigious medical journal Lancet revealed that PNA got into the bloodstream intact in as little 1-4 hours after subjects ate a handful of roasted, salted peanuts.” (Unfortunately, the abstract of this study is not available without a subscription.) The lectins can cause damage well beyond the gut – commonly in joints, brain, and skin of affected individuals. Continued exposure of the gut by these toxins leads to a persistent stimulation of the body’s defense mechanism in a dysfunctional manner, i.e. autoimmune disease. (Allergies fall into that category as well.)"

and
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-b...#axzz2T2ev0Q2G
05-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #231
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
My one bad time in three weeks was after adding peanut butter to a smoothie!
05-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #232
Amy2

My Support Groups:
This diet really is an individual thing. I remember that my daughter's favorite snack, after she was symtom free, was apple slices with peanut butter. She recently told me that peanut butter has never given her any problems. She has trouble with potatoes, rice and bread, but she does eat them occasionally and usually suffers very minor symptoms, but if she continues eating them, her symtems worsen. When she visits me, she cheats a lot, eating her old favorites, but says that if she did that all of the time, she'd get into trouble.

Thank you hugh!

Last edited by Amy2; 05-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.
05-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #233
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just agreeing with Hugh.

While the basis of no grains, no dairy, etc seem to be important, there are some small variations that seem individual. By introducing only one thing every few days, you will know if your body is ready for that food. Keep in mind too, what causes D in the early stages might be tolerated when the body is more healed. E could not handle many veggies would cause problems for him. We stuck with what he could digest, pushed forward on the diet, and his ability to digest certain foods continues to increase. For example, a few months ago he tried coleslaw and it made him sick. He wanted to try it again on Saturday and he seems perfectly fine.

Last edited by Charleigh; 05-14-2013 at 07:26 AM.
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #234
Amy2

My Support Groups:
10 days on the diet, although he is still drinking 4 Peptamen a day (half what he was drinking). He's feeling good, but hasn't gained any more weight. Still 101. He said that he could see pieces of zucchini in his BM today. (Well cooked zucchini noodles). No pain and his BM was solid and well formed. Diarrhea was never really an issue for him, he felt more like food wouldn't go down properly and having a BM exhausted him. All of that is gone.

Tomorrow, he wants to quit Peptamen entirely and start the intro diet again. What do you think?

It's not like the Peptamen was helping him gain weight and it does conflct with SCD.
I know what the dr is going to say...
05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #235
$erendipitou$

Hello All,

I am new to the site and would like some guidance if at all possible. Also I well versed in health / nutrition too so may be able to help others.

I have been diagnosed with gastritis, Duodenitis & Hiatal Hernia, however I believe there could be more underlying causes / issues and I am still unndergoing tests.

I am hoping to start the SCD as soon as my BTVC book comes through.

I have many questions;

1. Can a parasite, liver and colon cleanse be attempted early on in the diet?

2. After the initial 2-5 day intro diet is it possible to re-intro foods nuts / seeds and other high-calorie foods? Being underweight and losing more weight is a key concern for many of us i guess!

3. What is the general consensus on using gut healing supplements like glutamine and other GI healing supps?

I look forward to hearing from you and sincerely wish you all the best of luck in overcoming your individual health challenges

Seren
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #236
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Hi Seren,

You should get more qualified opinion but here is my two-pennyworth.

I guess it depends on the cleanse but unless it interferes in some way with the diet I cannot see why not. For example I have uncovered a well established candida infection and would wish to have taken anti fungals earlier. However, this is complementary at any time.

The mistake I make is to equate food intake with nutrition. Nutrition comes from what is absorbed by the gut. If you are not absorbing because of mucosal injury the excess is merely more work and fermentation. Heal the gut and absorb more from less.

I have gone for glutamine, echinacea and berberine because of the candida. I will read with interest other replies to your good questions.
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #237
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello All,

2. After the initial 2-5 day intro diet is it possible to re-intro foods nuts / seeds and other high-calorie foods? Being underweight and losing more weight is a key concern for many of us i guess!

3. What is the general consensus on using gut healing supplements like glutamine and other GI healing supps?

Seren
I really don't know the answer to #1, but my thoughts would be to wait until you have been on the diet for a while?

#2 ~ We used the chart on pecanbread.com to determine the order to introduce.
Here is their recommendation for the intro diet...
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/introdiet.html

Here is for after the intro diet...
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

Once E wasn't having D as bad, we introduced some of the safer foods a bit faster, like two at a time rather than one at a time. I think smooth almond butter can be introduced sooner than other foods. I would hold off on beef, dairy, and peanuts/peanut butter. Just my opinion though
It is tough at first, but it does get better and more varied as you go. E actually felt worse and lost more weight before he got better. Don't expect it to be perfect at first. It took time and tweaking for E. At first, he couldn't digest some of the safe foods. As E healed, he was able to eat more and more variety. He can eat raw cabbage, strawberries, and many other foods thought of as bad for crohn's now that he is better. Elaine says to expect spells of D for up to a year into the diet. E hasn't had a D episode in so long, I honestly can't remember.

#3 ~ I would wait on adding supplements until after you are symptom free. Except for an SCD safe vitamin and an SCD safe acidophilus.
05-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #238
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Hi Serendipitous! Welcome Aboard! I am familiar with all of the items you question. However, I don't feel qualified to recommend a particular direction.

There are two points I would like to put out there, though, if you are open to them. One, is that virtually all of the typical symptoms for Gastritis are the same symptoms for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth), and it is commonly misdiagnosed among the IBS and IBD population as Gastritis. So if you haven't discussed it with your doc, you may want to mention it/rule it out. There is a good breath test for it (non-invasive, no pain, Yay!). I'm not trying to complicate your life, honest! The mainstream GI community is just getting to know the clinical data on SIBO from several scholarly research hospitals in Canada, US, UK, & Australia over the past 2 years, and some hospitals/docs are just not as aware of it to date, but it's very reputable/clinically supported information.

The second point is that if you do have SIBO, the SCD will not help as much because it allows honey, and fruits (apples, pears, etc.) that actually aggravate SIBO! The foodplan for SIBO is low-FODmaps Elimination (and then systematically broaden, thankfully) Diet. There are great wiki-links on this forum. There are also many RD's, one in particular that I follow, that educate and provide recipes/books for low-FODMAPS (there's a smartphone APP for it, too! WooHoo!).

Anyway, I recognize that I tend to be a broken record on this condition to its lack of representation/recognition. Should probably change my forum name to SIBOwoman...to the Rescue! hehe ) Best wishes going forward.

IBS since my 20's; Crohns 2001 @ 41
Major Flare, ileo-cecal resection 2001
Diag. SIBO 2011; 3 SIBO flareups
Past Meds: Prednisone & Pentasa-allergic (2001),
Entocort (2009), Xifaxan-30 days (2011,12,13)
Current Meds: HRT mitigates my symptoms+
Low FODMAPs Diet, SCD yogurt & broth
Supp: Multivit.; Calcium w/ D/Mag.; B-12 sub-lingual; Nordic Nat'ls Ultimate Omega; Blood Builder Vegan Iron
Vitamin D-50,000IU 8 wks.,now 2,000IU
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #239
$erendipitou$

Many thanks for your earlier reply Paul. How long have you been on the diet?? My major concern is losing weight as already somewhat underweight! However, if this diet helps me to re-establish my GI health then i'll be chuffed!

Seren
05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #240
$erendipitou$

Hi Serendipitous! Welcome Aboard! I am familiar with all of the items you question. However, I don't feel qualified to recommend a particular direction.

There are two points I would like to put out there, though, if you are open to them. One, is that virtually all of the typical symptoms for Gastritis are the same symptoms for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth), and it is commonly misdiagnosed among the IBS and IBD population as Gastritis. So if you haven't discussed it with your doc, you may want to mention it/rule it out. There is a good breath test for it (non-invasive, no pain, Yay!). I'm not trying to complicate your life, honest! The mainstream GI community is just getting to know the clinical data on SIBO from several scholarly research hospitals in Canada, US, UK, & Australia over the past 2 years, and some hospitals/docs are just not as aware of it to date, but it's very reputable/clinically supported information.

The second point is that if you do have SIBO, the SCD will not help as much because it allows honey, and fruits (apples, pears, etc.) that actually aggravate SIBO! The foodplan for SIBO is low-FODmaps Elimination (and then systematically broaden, thankfully) Diet. There are great wiki-links on this forum. There are also many RD's, one in particular that I follow, that educate and provide recipes/books for low-FODMAPS (there's a smartphone APP for it, too! WooHoo!).

Anyway, I recognize that I tend to be a broken record on this condition to its lack of representation/recognition. Should probably change my forum name to SIBOwoman...to the Rescue! hehe ) Best wishes going forward.
I'm sincerely grateful for your reply Irishtarheel and pleased to meet your acquaintance

Some good points there. I knida see your point here and it's one that I contemplated during my research of SCD prior to joining the forum!

I've read extensively that SCD 'eradicates' (maybe exagerating with the word) SIBO (Dr. Siebecker)! I also thought well how can SCD deal with SIBO when it in effect feeds the bad bacteria!! I have to say while the diet looks as though it could revolutionise our approach to treating neurological / psychological / GI conditions it's very confusssssing!! lol

I ain't looking forward to all this cooking! I just like to KISS and go KEEP Fit! This diet will just keep me over the stove!! haha

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support