Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #151
Tantija

Thanks. I just thinking now that may be my D. is caused by fructose… It will be so sad… I this case I would have to illuminate all fruits I can eat and honey!
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #152
Bwebby

ehhh :/ ive tried carb diets before but they r so hard to stick too! haha bread is sooooo good and i swear carbs r in everything thats delicious on this planet

^ This is an AWESOME VIDEO SERIES ON IBD!
09-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #153
Tantija

Hi! I am on SCD diet for 9 month already and did not find it hard to stick to.
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #154
Mattannika

I have D. so most of the fruits and veg are not helping me especially mango, grapes, peaches, berries. Maybe it could help you? and row carrots by the way
Oh gosh. I've been a bit overwhelmed with all the prep and baking in advance, havent thought of much besides the basics . And honestly haven't "dared" fruit much yet. Ive always been a huge fruit and veggie eater, so love the idea! But doesn't the fruit have to be "cooked".? And regards berries, aren't teh skin and the seeds a no-no? Maybe I am making it too complicated...just thought I'd go slow/ careful into this...
09-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #155
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Mattanikka, Hi there! I'd have to refer back to my SCD book about the specifics...no pun intended... but I think it does say that everything has to be cooked. I know that any of these food plans can seem overwhelming and arduous, but try to remember that they are more work up front, and it gets easier over time as you fall into a routine and create a plan that works for you, individually, based on your own tolerances. I generally make my food on the weekend and then cook very little during the week. You'll get into a groove with it. I forget if it's "allowed" in the SCD or not, but I make a lot of almond milk "green" smoothies to fill in the gaps, using fruits, and veggies (mainly very ripe bananas and organic spinach, but other fresh and frozen organic fruits as well).

I always advocate that Crohnnies look into low-FODMAPS and possible SIBO diagnosis (there's a breath test for it), as SCD does not allow for fructose, FODMAP intolerance, which brings on the big "D." LFM is overal less restrictive than SCD if you go that route. And LFM allows for you to find out whether you have to rule something out entirely, or you can have, say, a little of it each day. Either way, you will probably end up having a basic food plan that you have tweaked, for you, personally, which will change depending on how you are feeling.

It's so great that you investigated this yourself!! And, it's wonderful that you are starting out by being cautious, careful and precise. That will only help you! Things will ease up later on...Best wishes and hang in there!

IBS since my 20's; Crohns 2001 @ 41
Major Flare, ileo-cecal resection 2001
Diag. SIBO 2011; 3 SIBO flareups
Past Meds: Prednisone & Pentasa-allergic (2001),
Entocort (2009), Xifaxan-30 days (2011,12,13)
Current Meds: HRT mitigates my symptoms+
Low FODMAPs Diet, SCD yogurt & broth
Supp: Multivit.; Calcium w/ D/Mag.; B-12 sub-lingual; Nordic Nat'ls Ultimate Omega; Blood Builder Vegan Iron
Vitamin D-50,000IU 8 wks.,now 2,000IU
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #156
Tantija

Yes, you have to cook fruits and veg in the beginning of the diet. But I always was eating the raw salad because I do not like cooked veg. Also what really surprises me that even if I have exactly the same food 3 days in a row some days I have D. and some not.
09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #157
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
I eat salad, too, Tantija. At least for me, young spring greens (soft, thin leaves) work out much better than firmer, crunchy lettuces, like romaine, etc. Especially with some light olive oil on them, where they soften up even more! With a little canned wild pacific salmon or poultry in there, and some mandarin orange or pineapple...very yummy! And no cooking! The alternative to salad is cooked spinach with same additions...And although I don't do it often, microwaving spinach as a base for other things is a quick option as well.
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #158
Mattannika

So, here's a question to all. How do I know that the dry curd cottage cheese I find at Whole Foods is actually legal for SCD? I kind of assumed any dry curd CC would be legal, but now I am wondering...a bit confused...anyone have an answer to this? The brand they sell, and this is the only one I can find anywhere, is "Sunshine". Thanks...
09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #159
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Assuming that Sunshine, is Sunshine Dairy Foods, it is listed as OK on the SCD website link, here:

http://www.scdiet.org/8resources/drycurd_sources.html

The specifics there were:

"OR Sunshine Dairy Foods in OR and WA. 6/13/06"

Hope this helps!
09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #160
Mattannika

Assuming that Sunshine, is Sunshine Dairy Foods, it is listed as OK on the SCD website link, here:

http://www.scdiet.org/8resources/drycurd_sources.html

The specifics there were:

"OR Sunshine Dairy Foods in OR and WA. 6/13/06"

Hope this helps!
OH thank you!!! Makes me feel better that's for sure :-)
09-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #161
Candrbeth

What do you all find you get the best source of energy from? Hubby started the diet, feels great and has lost some weight but is feeling very fatigued. What can I give him to help boost his energy.
09-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #162
KatyBuckeye

What do you all find you get the best source of energy from? Hubby started the diet, feels great and has lost some weight but is feeling very fatigued. What can I give him to help boost his energy.
Hi Candi! Welcome to the forum! How long has your husband been on the diet? The body initially goes through a process where it has to get used to a "lower carb" (well, lower than the standard American diet) intake and that can cause feelings of fatigue at first. It sounds like he has been following it for awhile though. You may want to consider using a website like www.fitday.com to monitor nutrient intake. It could be that he is not getting enough overall calories or perhaps he needs to increase his fat intake. It is hard to say for sure without knowing the nutrient breakdown. Is his IBD well-controlled at this time?

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #163
KatyBuckeye

ehhh :/ ive tried carb diets before but they r so hard to stick too! haha bread is sooooo good and i swear carbs r in everything thats delicious on this planet
As a former vegetarian, my diet used to be primarily carb-based. I have not found the SCD to be difficult to stick to though. I was a bread-lover, but bread doesn't even appeal to me anymore because it's just not worth the pain and sickness. My health is worth so much more.
09-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #164
Candrbeth

Hi Candi! Welcome to the forum! How long has your husband been on the diet? The body initially goes through a process where it has to get used to a "lower carb" (well, lower than the standard American diet) intake and that can cause feelings of fatigue at first. It sounds like he has been following it for awhile though. You may want to consider using a website like www.fitday.com to monitor nutrient intake. It could be that he is not getting enough overall calories or perhaps he needs to increase his fat intake. It is hard to say for sure without knowing the nutrient breakdown. Is his IBD well-controlled at this time?
The diet was started on the 4th. He is amazed at his body's reaction. He has not had gas, bloating or D since after the first couple of days of the diet. He says he hasn't felt this good in years, minus being tired.
09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #165
KatyBuckeye

The diet was started on the 4th. He is amazed at his body's reaction. He has not had gas, bloating or D since after the first couple of days of the diet. He says he hasn't felt this good in years, minus being tired.
That's wonderful! It took much longer for the diarrhea to stop for me, but the gas and bloating went away after the 2nd day. I've been on the diet for over 2 months and I still feel fatigued at times (not yet 100%). I don't think it is related to the diet for me though. The body is still trying to heal and there is still underlying inflammation going on, so that probably contributes to the fatigue. Or it could also be not enough calories/fat, so I really recommend using a nutrient tracker for a few weeks.
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #166
Candrbeth

That's wonderful! It took much longer for the diarrhea to stop for me, but the gas and bloating went away after the 2nd day. I've been on the diet for over 2 months and I still feel fatigued at times (not yet 100%). I don't think it is related to the diet for me though. The body is still trying to heal and there is still underlying inflammation going on, so that probably contributes to the fatigue. Or it could also be not enough calories/fat, so I really recommend using a nutrient tracker for a few weeks.
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see if I can install something like that on my phone. There seems to be an app for everything these days.
09-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #167
EmSydney

Hi everyone,

First post here! My husband was diagnosed with Crohns two months ago after an emergency bowel resection (we thought he had appendicitis!).

Trying to get head around all of this, hefty medications etc etc. I have been reading about the SCD and we may give this a go to keep him off 6MP for now. He is still in surgical remission.

I have a question - would hemp milk be legal on the diet? I know the book was written before it became popular, what do you think?

Thanks!!
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #168
Mattannika

So, I am wondering if this is working for me at all...I have been doing the SCD for about a month now. And I have been strict with the foods I eat. But I wonder if I missed something...I am still gassy in the evenings....is that supposed to disappear right away? I am reading everyone's comments and I just don't know what I am doing wrong...I am still on Prednisone and Apriso and had to go up from 10mg to 15mg because symptoms started to come back a bit...what specifically do you guys eat after you did the intro days? Maybe that would help me figure out what I am doing wrong...kind of disappointed as I really don't mind the food changes...I also know she says stick with it for at least 3 months to see if it works for you...
09-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #169
hugh

My Support Groups:
To Mattannika,
I found I had to give up SCD yogurt before I improved.

You could post your entire diet and we can subgest things.

If SCD isn't working then cut dairy,eggs,nuts and honey/dried fruit.
Also all processed foods (including processed oils) til you get it under control
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #170
Mattannika

Hugh, but isn't it the yogurt that is supposed to help and regulate the bacteria in your system? And that yogurt is part of almost every recipe. You might laugh but this is how basic my diet has lately been:
Basically what I have been eating so far is scrambled eggs with a slice of LoisLang bread in the am. The for snack a muffin. Lunch some chicken with broth or zucchini. Snack a cup of yogurt with cinnamon and little honey. Dinner varies from chicken, to meatballs, to steamed fish with some sort of veggie, usually zucchini baked tomatoes or cucumber that I blend into a mousse....I know not that much variety but I am confused with this diet and what to add and when. For drinks I have water, grape juice with water or peppermint tea. Recently I added other teas ( Tulsi Honey Chamomile) after contacting the brand and I think it is legal?
09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #171
hugh

My Support Groups:
To Mattannika,
SCD is a great start ,and for many people it is enough (although i think in many cases it just reduces symptoms to an acceptable level and there will still be a lot of inflammation still present).

One month is still early but not too early to adjust it.
Are you feeling better than before SCD and how much better?

There are foods that are SCD legal that can cause problems
Most people can benefit from tweaking the diet towards paleo and avoiding things like Vegetable oils with high omega-6 and dairy.
I had problems with the yogurt, not everybody does, but you might)

The SIBO diet is SCD compatible and may give you a few more things to avoid and a few to add.
http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietit...g-protocol.pdf

This guy has obviously thought about it for a while and may or may not have a few valid suggestions.
http://www.mombu.com/medicine/medici...3619-last.html

Lastly, SCD lifestyle offer a paid service and will help customise your diet to get better results, I haven't used them so i cannot recommend but i have heard good things about them.
http://scdlifestyle.com/
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #172
jgi

I'm an emotional eater. If I get emotional I eat crap. Fast food, sugar, you name it.
I like that one and I identify with it !!!!! Thank !
10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #173
Tantija

Hi guys! Tried to make yogurt from the lactose free milk and love it. But now I am in doubts.
Elaine book says: “…The rate of flow of galactose to the liver when one drinks lactose hydrolyzed milk is high. With lactose hydrolyzed milk, you are ingesting the two sugars: glucose and galactose at the same time….” And so it’s prohibited on SCD.
It says about drinking lactose free milk but I could not find any information if can you make yogurt from lactose free milk. I tried to make yogurt from the cow and goat milk even fermenting it for 24-48 hours but still had the reaction like from lactose. So I ended up making my yogurt from almonds milk what I was doing also myself. But with the yogurt from lactose free milk I do not have any reaction.
Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you.
10-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #174
hugh

My Support Groups:
..... if can you make yogurt from lactose free milk. I tried to make yogurt from the cow and goat milk even fermenting it for 24-48 hours but still had the reaction like from lactose.
The idea behind fermenting for 24 hours is that all the lactose is gone (consumed by the bacteria).
I found i had real problems from it and gave up with it and don't regret it at all.
It could be that either the lactose digestion is not complete or you have issues with some other milk molecule (and this may right itself once the level of intestinal permiability improves).

There are other fermented foods you can try
Rejuvalac from cabbage for example
http://somanythingstolove.blogspot.c...rejuvelac.html
10-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #175
Tantija

Thanks!

I still think that lactose digestion is not complete as I eat lactose free yogurt 3 weeks already and love it. It's a shame i have to giva up it as it actually illigal. I have to try to make yogurt from milk again so. It was already a while when I had it. Maybe my reactiion improved.
10-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #176
KatyBuckeye

I also can't tolerate the SCD-legal yogurt, which is disappointing. But I'm doing just fine without it. I make a lot of fermented veggies and I take probiotics to replace the yogurt. I think eventually I'll try adding it back in.
10-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #177
Tantija

I also can't tolerate the SCD-legal yogurt, which is disappointing. But I'm doing just fine without it. I make a lot of fermented veggies and I take probiotics to replace the yogurt. I think eventually I'll try adding it back in.
Hi! What do you mean by "fermented veggies", please?

Thanks!
10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #178
hugh

My Support Groups:
Hi! What do you mean by "fermented veggies", please?

Thanks!

http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/menu.php
scroll down to Probiotic beverages (Lacto-fermented)
note - not all of these are suitable for SCD diet

Last edited by hugh; 10-15-2012 at 02:00 AM.
10-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #179
KatyBuckeye

http://thepaleonurse.com/2012/09/23/...ed-vegetables/

It's very easy to do. If you are still in the intro, instead of eating the vegetables (after they are done fermenting), slowly add in the juice only until you can tolerate the veggies. Lots of good "bugs" in the fermented veggies!
10-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #180
tzvia
Forum Monitor

I want to try the SCD diet, as it seems so helpful for so many and the theory makes a lot of sense.

My only concern is this: With Crohn's, I have noticed that taking a fiber supplement had helped me in the bathroom greatly. I take either psyllium husks or acacia powder almost everyday and they help me have regular, formed BM's. Well, both psyllium and acacia are "illegal" on SCD because the contains starch.

My question is this: Fiber is not digested by the body. Fiber is undigestable by nature. So why is it illegal on SCD? The body does break it down, it just passes through, so why does it matter if there is starch in it?

I hope someone can help me out with this!

DX Crohn's in 2008, but symptoms since childhood
Currently weaning off pred
Bowel obstruction 8/2012, no surgery needed!
Not on meds- just a million supplements and trying to figure out diet.

Current meds: Entocort, Questran
Past meds: Prednisone, Humira

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support