• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Shortness of breath and swollen feet

The last few weeks I have had swollen feet - appears to be water retention, and for the last month or so I have had shortness of breath. While napping, I have waken up several times gasping for breath. I also have sleep apnea and wear a cpap machine at night, so I have not had the problem then.

Yesterday at work I climbed a set of stairs for 1 floor and was winded. That is not normal for me.

Last night I read on the Humira guide that comes with the medicine that one of the rare side effects is Humira causing both shortness of breath and swollen feet. The instructions are to stop taking the medicine and call your doctor immediately.

Has anybody else had this happen? I have an appointment with my G.I. today. Schedule it only this morning. (See what they can do when it is necessary!)

Thanks.

nogutsnoglory

I'm going to tag Jennifer as I recall a few weeks ago she was talking about facing water retention. I don't remember what it was in regards to but maybe she can help.

My GI, who has always been very thorough, set me up for a chest xray, blood work my pcp didn't order, and a echocardiogram. I'm in the waiting room for xray right now.

When will you be having your echocardiogram? Those are symptoms of heart failure rarely associated with anti-tnf. I hope it's not that. Scares me, I'll be starting it tomorow.

I am on every two Weeks for injections. Humira has been the only med to work for me. this side effect is extremely rare, if Humira is responsible.It could be my recently diagnosed hypertension.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good luck Doug. Whilst I don't wish for this to be a side effect of the Humira I certainly don't want it to be a heart issue. :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

I developed dilated cardiomyopathy as a result but the symptoms reversed on discontinuation of the drug. And after 6 months of treatment with diuretics and an ace inhibitor I was discharged by my cardiac consultant but it was scary times.

I got my test results. Chest x-ray showed no infections. The echocardiogram showed the heart is undamaged. Blood tests all came back in the good range. Humira was not the cause of my issue.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good to hear the old ticker and your bloods are okay Doug. :)

Have they hazarded a guess as to what the problem may be? How have they established it's not the Humira?

Dusty. xxx

Good to hear the old ticker and your bloods are okay Doug. :)

Have they hazarded a guess as to what the problem may be? How have they established it's not the Humira?

Dusty. xxx
When Humira causes high blood pressure it actually damages the ticker.The electrocardiogram found no evidence of damage. It is hypertension of unknown cause