Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's with C-Diff Support Group

02-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Crohn's with C-Diff Support Group

About this Support Group

when my son with Crohn's was diagnosed with C-diff all procedures for dianostics such as Colonoscopy, upper Gi, etc.. had to be stopped. Can still take meds. But can't seem to clear the C-Diff. And last CT shows he got UC from the C-Diff now too. What's a mother to do? Kinsey

Members

23Kayla, addericmontes, Ann Morgan, annawato's Avatar annawato, blazeking's Avatar blazeking, carbuncle's Avatar carbuncle, CarolinAlaska's Avatar CarolinAlaska, countyourblessings, crohnscait, Crohnsveteran's Avatar Crohnsveteran, Crohnzie Girl's Avatar Crohnzie Girl, Daddy119's Avatar Daddy119, drbart86, emily_v's Avatar emily_v, fodent's Avatar fodent, foodlady's Avatar foodlady, Gra's Avatar Gra, heartsnstars4e's Avatar heartsnstars4e, JaimeM's Avatar JaimeM, Jennifer's Avatar Jennifer, Joleen23's Avatar Joleen23, Kinsey's Avatar Kinsey, leloupaccroupi's Avatar leloupaccroupi, LittleChloe's Avatar LittleChloe, Lizette, lookame's Avatar lookame, lsimonson, MeganR's Avatar MeganR, Molly-Baby, nagesh, patrick13, peluchde's Avatar peluchde, pink&green's Avatar pink&green, renaecihacek, Robertsba92, ronroush7's Avatar ronroush7, rru, sfgirl's Avatar sfgirl, shortyc2212, Spooky1, taraswede's Avatar taraswede, The Mad Bagger's Avatar The Mad Bagger, tlc7376's Avatar tlc7376, vitapavl's Avatar vitapavl
03-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Since I Have joined the forum I have recieved a wealth of knowledge and support, I have direction now and don't feel alone anymore with this monkey on my back (rather my son's back). You know us mother bears. I will being posting now more on the other groups since this topic goes under another classification, Dave, if you want to switch it somewhere do it. I have figured out how to navigate around the forum somewhat better now. Kinsey
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

Thank you for starting this support group. I'll definitely send people to this group

Something that might be nice if you find time is resources in the first regarding c.diff such as how to clean properly. Just an idea
03-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
fodent

My Support Groups:
I got c-diff as well! I didn't notice i thought i was just having a flare up with my crohns!, Luckily I was put on antibiotics and it cleared! Hope things start to go better with you and your son (hugs)

Currently on 6MP and Allipurnaul

Past Medicine: Prednisone and Lialda
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Daddy119

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I had the C-Diff adventure 2 years ago after taking IV antibiotics for a wound infection gone bad. I knew nothing about it then and nobody told me to take Florastor/probiotics during it either. Took 3 course of antibiotics for the C-Diff with Vancomycin finally doing the trick...but I swear it took a year to get my bowels back in some kind of order. Every time I get D I get the anxiety about it coming back... Throw a kidney stone in the middle of the ordeal and it is 4 months I want to forget.

I took Florastor (2/day) for 6 months before I stopped it. I now have probiotic yoghurt every day. Don't know if it helps but it won't hurt.

Hope it works out for your son.

Good luck,

G
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
You rock that you started this support group! Very cool. I hope people see it soon and can join you in this.
Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Lymphedema, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
LittleChloe

My Support Groups:
Chloe got c diff twice and it made her sicker than crohns ever did. It slowed her progress with Ldn and slowed her weight gain. She's better now but it took a lot of effort.
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Yeah I did, but somehow I accidently cleared all by groups!!! You rock!

Took my son Brad to the doctor yesterday, long story short, this dr. thinks that Brad will be clear from the current antibiotics by next week, and even had us schedule the next colonoscopy for April 11th. Though, we do go get tested next week and if its still there then its a no go. We shall see! I've been spending time in the "what's your career, job, "forum" with 723crossroads, (we are at the bottom of forum, check it out if you can! Kinsey
03-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update. I hope he is cleared next week and can move on!
03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
tlc7376

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone!! I am a newbie to the whole Crohn's IBD disease. I recently just did a two week stay in the hospital for having C-diff along with the Crohns. Is this something that happens frequently with this disease? I am hoping not seeing as it was extremely painful and very annoying to say the least.
03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
blazeking

My Support Groups:
How do I tell if I have it when I looked up the symtoms and they seem almost exactly like a flare up?
03-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Daddy119

My Support Groups:
Hi,

It can be very similar. Usually the C-Diff occurs after a course of anitbiotics so if the "flare" happens then, you may suspect it. Otherwise it is not often to just "get it" out of the blue regardless of having Crohns or not although I have read that having Crohns/Colitis can increase your susceptibility. Mine came on after antibiotics. If it is suspected, the only real way is to do a stool test with your Dr or at hospital where they will confirm C-Diff. They can be quite similar though unfortunately.

G
03-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
annawato

My Support Groups:
I caught c diff whilst in hospital. The patients in rooms next to mine had it. Fortunately it cleared with vancomycin but took a while. The only reason I knew I had it was diarrhoea and tummy pains but yes that is just like crohn's or UC. Basically they were keeping an eye on me because it can be spread by spores so is highly contagious in hospital. unlike many bacteria and viruses the spores stay alive for a while when not on a human.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
03-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
crohnscait

My Support Groups:
I had a really hard time clearing c.diff that I acquired during my first hospitalization for Crohn's. I relapsed 4 times and was on long-term vancomycin, which caused bad headaches. I was finally able to find a doctor who could preform a fecal transplant, and I had not had any further issues with c. diff. It is a rather icky procedure, but I am so glad that I did it. If I get c.diff again, it is going to be my first avenue of treatment. There are a number of c.diff support groups that highlight local doctors for those interested.
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I get c diff, but I also get rotavirus too. anyone else?
08-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
iriechic

My Support Groups:
I had C.Diff in May. Treated with Flaygyl, Xifaxan, then fecal transplants. I wanted fecal transplants to see if it would help with my colitis (plus, rid C.Diff). I didn't notice a change, but only did 10 FTs. I was wondering if anyone else had unpleasant symptoms once the C.Diff was gone? The C.Diff and antibiotics really took a toll on my already inflamed (lymphocytic colitis) intestines. I am on Entocort for 1 week now but I still have diarrhea and it floats. I didn't have the floating issue prior to C.Diff. MY C.Diff PCR test was negative, so I don't think it's C.Diff. I'm just concerned and wondered if anyone else had strange bathroom habits and symptoms post C.Diff? I hear it can take quite some time for things to heal post C.Diff. Thanks a million for any insight!!! I'd sincerely appreciate whatever feedback you can offer! :-)
09-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #17
Crohnzie Girl

My Support Groups:
I was jus diagnosed w C Diff last week when I was hospitalized. I knew something wasn't right bc I suffer from constipation not diarrhea. The last time I took an antibiotic was in the summer. It makes scence I guess since I've been feeling I had jus one huge flare for like 3 mths straight. I'm currently back in the hosp bc this C Diff really took a roll on me. It was so painful and the big D was so bad I couldn't work. My surgeon feels that even having the C Diff he will still perform surgery tom. I've suffered for too long and he doesn't seem to mind that I have this infection. I'm currently taking that nasty tasting vancomycin and today was the first day in a long time I had no pain and diarrhea. So maybe its clearing up.

Colostomy since 2013 best thing for me!

Looking for support and sharing stories.
09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's great to get rid of c-diff I must say, but constipation, is it because of a blockage? Amazing, you must tell me your secret, lol. Right, off to the bog!

good luck with the surgery though. speedy recovery, too.
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Crohnzie Girl

My Support Groups:
My Crohns lie in the sigmoid colon area so that part of my intestines becomes very inflammed and scarred. Makes it almost impossible to have a bm. I'd have to take lots of stool softeners and drink laxitive solutions jus to have a bm. It's horrible.
09-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Actually I can imagine it to be very painful. I bet you spend a long time on the loo like us with chronic diarrhoea.

Hope all is well with your stay in hospital and surgery and recovery.
10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What are the symptoms of Crohn's with c tiff?
10-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
Crohnzie Girl

My Support Groups:
Hey Spooky1 thanks for the well wishes. It's been 6 wks since my surgery and I'm feeling better than ever before! @ ronroush7 I can tell you that its the most painful experience I've ever had. It was extreme cramps, explosive diarrhea, couldn't eat anything, couldn't leave my bedroom. I'm telling you there's no wondering if you have it or not...you'll know for sure!
11-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #23
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Being tested for the third time this year.
11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #24
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, you definitely know when you've got it. I'm going to have to do a poo sample sometime soon. omg, crohns so bad.
11-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Two months ago, I was on an antibiotic for an infection in my leg. I accidentally took two pills at one time instead of one. It tore my stomach up. Ever since then, I have had some cramping on and off. I have had incontinence with my bowels. I even threw up once so they are checking me again for c diff. The thing is that I was tested more than a week ago. I would have thought that I would hear the results by now.
11-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #26
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here in the UK, they wait until they see you again, perhaps two months, before giving results. Nightmare.
02-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #27
carbuncle

I went through a series of cdiff infections, 4-5 that with 3 different hospital stays that culminated in triggering crohns. Cdiff, for me is usually accompanied by very bloody stools with much pain and spasms.

Cdiff can be difficult to identify as it is anaerobic and is killed by oxygen exposure or air.
05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #28
SugarberryGA

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed with C-Diff today. The doctor prescribed Flagyl for 10 days. Should I stay home from work for a few days until the medicine kicks in?
05-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
In the last year, they have probably tested me six times for c-diff. It keeps turning up negative.

06-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #30
emily_v

My Support Groups:
Hey everyone! Just wanted to share my experience with C-diff and Crohn's!
I actually got C-Diff from taking an antibiotic that was given to me for a skin lesson I was suffering from. This antibiotic was far too strong for my body and I ended up getting C-diff from that. I ended up in the hospital and was put on Flagyl, was then sent home after a week. Turns out- Im allergic to Flagyl! Came back to the hospital after 1 day, was put on another drug to get rid of the C-diff.. Was sent home after another week. Came back 2 days later because I was still experiencing horrible symptoms. It was the 3rd hospitalization that they put me on the IV antibiotics. When i got my 3rd negative C-Diff stool test, they did a colonoscopy and endoscopy on me and that was when I was diagnosed with severe Crohn's!
November was sure 1 heck of a month!

Emily, 17, Ontario, Canada

Currently taking 150mg of Imuran, daily

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's with C-Diff Support Group