• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else have bad back pain with Ulcerative Colitis?

Hi Everyone -

I was diagnosed with UC after a (somewhat routine) colonoscopy 2 years ago. I've been on Apriso and L-Glutamine primarily, but at the same time I've been having seriously chronic back pain, sometimes I can't even move.

I've never been sure if the UC was to blame for the back pain in some way, and was hoping that some of you wouldn't mind sharing if you've had similar back pain. My ulcer is on my right side and my back pain is on my right side too.

We had been tracking my C-Reactive Protein blood levels and they had gone down considerably, but now they have gone back up again to where they were when I was diagnosed, so I am due for a repeat of the colonoscopy in a couple of weeks. I discovered the SCD Diet and ordered the book for it, and have started on that so I am hoping that will help my inflammation levels. Also will trying some MMJ, will post questions about that in the appropriate place here. If anybody can share some mm food recipes I really appreciated it too. I am also overweight, I am a little scared to eat more from the mm..

Thanks very much! Best of luck and be well to all...

David

Co-Founder
Hi Mermaid,

I'm sorry to hear you have such terrible back pain :(

Is it in the upper, mid, or lower back?

Is it along the spine or off to the side?

Has a doctor done any imaging studies on the area?

When you say your ulcer is on the right side, can you elaborate on that please?

David - thanks I appreciate the thoughts.

The back pain is mostly on my right side, starts up in the trapezius area and extends down to the lower lumbar, mostly next to the spine, but sometimes it wraps around from the lower back to my side and even around to the front, side of my belly area.

I've had multiple MRIs and other tests over the years that don't show any issues like nerve pinches or other things that they would show, so no obvious reason for the back pain.

I guess when I say right side that would be the right side of the transverse colon, that's where my GI doc pointed it out to me, after my first colonoscopy 2 years ago.

I have noticed that after strictly following the SCD for the past 10 days that I've felt much better, a bit more energy and a bit less pain every day. Definitely going to stick with it.

Hope the additional details help - I really appreciate it!

hi i suffer loads with back pain right hand side mostly down the spine and around the hip once or twice its had me on my back for for a few hours

pat

Hi - thanks for the replies -

I had my colonoscopy 2 weeks ago - doctor says no ulcer, no inflammation. He took polyps out, they were fine. But somehow my C-Reactive protein blood levels are somewhat elevated, I don't know why, other than general inflammation somewhere.

Back pain is still there unfortunately, I'm still on Apriso, I strongly recommend the SCD diet - it's helped me feel better and directly helped my intestinal inflammation go away. We also make fresh juice from vegetables and fruits first thing every morning - I believe this has also helped.

Good luck - thanks again.

I have been diagnosed with UC a few weeks ago. Over the years my diagnosis have been spastic colon, diverticulitus and ulcers. Now UC. I am on the Apriso for two weeks and while it has helped with the stomach pain and bathroom issues, and I am able to eat, I feel very unmotivated, and still have the back pain at night which lessens after I have a bowel movement in the AM. Hair seems to be thinning in the front - not thrilled with this at all! Wondered if the unmotivated feeling is related to the Apriso? Also, how long do you take this for - doctor gave prescription with two refills - not much else said --

When I am flaring I get horrible back pain. I also get pain in my calves.
wow - I have been also - and in my feet - is this from the UC or the meds? And what is the SCD diet? where can I find the best information on it?

smallz. ...... i had a flare and my feet got bad even now when when mybfeet hurt i tend to have a bad tummy soon after

pat

Recurring back pain here ( Crohn's colitis Dx)unrelated to abdominal symptoms.. It's largely a nocturnal problem (especially lying down, what's fair about that??) - I take a regular dose of slow release paracetamol + Tramadol, which gets me 6-7 hours sleep.
My experience - lying on my back is best, lying on the side seems to stretch the SI joints. A pillow between the knees seems to help if lying on my side. And I apply voltaren gel to the lower back area when the oral analgesics have worn off..

HD

Smaalz, my back and legs hurting are definitely from the flare. When I am on meds. and not flaring, they don't ache. The hair loss is definitely from the meds. I am on Apriso and have lost at least half of my hair from the meds. I never had hair loss before I started taking them. It's all mesalamine products, not just Apriso that cause the hair loss. There is a section on the website about the SCD diet.

I've been having back pain. From my research I feel my symptoms are more consistent with sacroiliitis. Considering the location and pattern of radiation of your pain gallbladder issues should be ruled out if not already done. I hope you get some relief.

I had similar pain that eventually resulted in an abscess on the front side of my groin. I could not push a lawn mower or walk far. The pain in my back would always make me sit or lay down.

It was caused by a fistula that had attached to the soaz muscle. The muscle was then infected with bacteria. The abscess came to the front eventually.

Your pain could be from any number of things but a fistula is one possibility.

I hope you can figure it out.

Dan

Suspicious for gallbladder problem, especially considering you have had some relief with change of diet. Funky gallbladders can also cause shoulder pain, as weird as that seems. Like johnd66 mentioned, have you had it checked?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with UC a month ago. I've been on Asacol and Prednisone since then. I get these horrible back pains at night. Usually I go to sleep with no-problem/no-pain and around 3am the pain starts kicking in taking my ribs and thoracic vertebrates. Lately the pain propagates to my sternum. No lumbar area pain. Once the pain starts, no matter what position I take or how many pillows I use, it won't go away while laying down on my bed. What usually alleviates the pain is standing up and walking around. What could have caused this symptom? Is it the UC or a side effect of the Prednisone?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with UC a month ago. I've been on Asacol and Prednisone since then. I get these horrible back pains at night. Usually I go to sleep with no-problem/no-pain and around 3am the pain starts kicking in taking my ribs and thoracic vertebrates. Lately the pain propagates to my sternum. No lumbar area pain. Once the pain starts, no matter what position I take or how many pillows I use, it won't go away while laying down on my bed. What usually alleviates the pain is standing up and walking around. What could have caused this symptom? Is it the UC or a side effect of the Prednisone?
Hi andi5317. I know Prednisone can give all sorts of aches and pains, so that would be my first guess. What dose are you on?

I've been on Asacol for years and never had back pain from that.

Last edited:
I started with 40mg daily. Now I am on 20mg. This med is only for a short time. I will be taken off from this med at my next appointment.

Whenever I have a bad flare up it sometimes makes it's way into a joint and sometimes my right eyeball. I've had joint pain in shoulder, fingers, knee, and currently lower back around a nerve. The pain can get so bad it's hard to sleep or get out of bed.

I have serious lower back pain. My IBD nurse told me that this can be common with UC. The pain is so bad I have trouble sleeping. Before i was diagnosed i was checked for kidney stones and this lead to my diagnosis as they found nothing.

scottsma

I have back pain daily.After being on my feet for a couple of hours in the morning,I have to take a couple or three Solpadine and sit for a while before I can carry on.I also have pain in my thumbs,wrist,knee etc.My shoulders and hips are completely pain free.I have Proctitis but am at an age where this sort of pain is put down to wear and tear,so I don't make a fuss.I feel really sorry for those of you who are at a younger age,and may have to put up with it for years.

When i flare up i get mid back pain. this can be pretty much 24/7 but does ease with excercise eventually and pain killers . I think it goes with IBD in general, weather its your colon or pancreas i dont know . Recently i was rang by my doctor and asked if i had been tested for any liver or pancreas issues as i was supposed to be every few weeks . Apparently this is with being on ASA drugs for a few years , this is supposed to be monitored.

My daughter has UC and she found if she gets her spine aligned at the chiropractor her pain goes away and her UC goes into remission. She can be off all medications and carry on a normal life just watching what she eats. She loves her chiropractor and he is worth every penny... more so the insurance covers him!