• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long-term remission with ileostomy

Hi
I really want to ask this question because I know a person who had an ileostomy and basically no longer gas Crohns and takes no medication except imodium. Call this a cure call it long-term remission but I have recently got my ileostomy back and during my previous time with it I required no anti inflammatory medication. I just want to know are there others in this forum who have chosen an ostomy and remained med free long-term because medication has failed me severely.

Thank you

Where is your Crohn's isolated to? Mine was entirely in the colon/rectum and having my colon removed put me into remission -there are no guarantees it'll last forever, since Crohn's can travel, but it's helped me tremendously where medication failed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi
Thanks Vegan I have colonic and ileal disease but like before the disease has been removed from my small intestine by resection. I know there is no guarantees but its just because I was so well before I really hopes that is the case again. For once I was able to live and eat like everyone else who hasn't got this wretched disease.

Hi
Thanks Vegan I have colonic and ileal disease but like before the disease has been removed from my small intestine by resection. I know there is no guarantees but its just because I was so well before I really hopes that is the case again. For once I was able to live and eat like everyone else who hasn't got this wretched disease.
Having small bowel or ileal involvement certainly do complicate the matter, but I think a surgeon might be able to give you realistic expectations for long-term remission goals.

Barring surgery, have you been in any drug trials, perhaps for new drugs that aren't yet available on the market?

I had (have) ulcerative colitis, so for me having a colectomy and now ileostomy has me in remission with no meds.

I fit that description. Ileostomy October 2010, reversal June 2011 and in clinical remission ever since. I would never claim not to have Crohn's though. I do now have BAM which can give the same problem as Crohn's ie. dashing off to the bathroom. I take 2 Loperamide capsules a day to control it.

I had a total proctocolectomy and ileostomy in 2000 and haven't been on any medication for Crohn's since tapering off prednisolone after the operation. I sometimes have diarrhoea but control it with Loperamide/Imodium.

I wouldn't call the Crohn's "cured" but certainly "in long term remission". :ybiggrin:

Hi

Thanks everyone for your responses my large intestine is still in place but I have an end ileostomy. Even though my large intestine isn't near my small does it increase my chances of my disease returning because my large intestine hasn't been removed.