• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New GI Doc Oct. 4th! Need Help With Meds.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
So I'm going to be seeing a new GI doctor on Oct. 4th. My last GI doc that I saw a couple of times was horrible and I never wanted to see him again so I'm still not on any meds.

Its been almost 3 years since I've taken meds for Crohns and last I was on anything I was taking 6MP and Asacol and those were prescribed before I even had my surgery (bowel resection of 8" small intestine removed along with ileum) 10 years ago. Surely there must be new meds nowadays for help managing my condition. Of course my GI might suggest certain meds but I'd like a little homework done on the current meds so a) I know what he's talking about and b) so I might suggest certain ones.

My last scope was clear but I'll bring the pictures anyway and show the doc but I have diarrhea daily and I don't even know when that started or if it never really went away after my surgery. It would be nice to reduce the amount of D. Sometimes I have pain but certainly not daily or even weekly and its minor usually. I've seen mucus as well a couple of times and that's a little more recent (past few years). And one time (a month ago maybe?) my stool was slightly ribbon shaped which isn't normal for me (nor is being that well formed to make a ribbon normal for me :p).

So basically it seems that I'm very SLOWLY going out of remission and do need medication but I'd like to know what would work for my symptoms. They aren't major so no Prednisone for me but I'm sure I probably need something for inflammation or to suppress such things. Any med suggestions that I could look up to bring up with to the doc on my first visit?

How well did you respond to the 6MP? Maybe something like that or Aza would be good for you in maintaining remission? Best of luck with your new GI, I so hope that they're nicer than your last doc and can help you stay in remission :D

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I never had any problems with 6mp so maybe he'll just put me back on the same drugs if not at a lower dose cause the last time the dose was upped but that was before my surgery.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Roo has had the same surgery but a more bowel removed. She was left with short bowel syndrome so always has diarrhoea. Questran works well for this but Roo finds it unpalatable so prefers to plan her eating around her day. She has also been on a maintenance dose of Imuran since her op that has worked well in maintaining her remission.

Dusty. :)

I wish I could give you more advice but I'm not sure what other medications would be best. I've only been on a couple. I have little knowledge in that area. I think I've had the same surgery as you and the only medication that they have me on is mesalamine. My doctor is scared of entocort. He would rather put me on prednisone! What???! lol. Yeah. I still need to find a new doctor. I'm switching doctors once this pill cam is done and over with.

Wish you luck!
-Mary

Diagnosed: Crohn’s December ‘09
Gastritis August ’09, TMJD 1992
Surgeries: 1-terminal ileum removal
Treatments: Current- pentasa
Past- pred. aciphex, ranitidine
Other: Multi-vitamin, calcium,
digestive enzymes, probiotics,
fish oil, and Ginger

I wish I could give you more advice but I'm not sure what other medications would be best. I've only been on a couple. I have little knowledge in that area. I think I've had the same surgery as you and the only medication that they have me on is mesalamine. My doctor is scared of entocort. He would rather put me on prednisone! What???! lol. Yeah. I still need to find a new doctor. I'm switching doctors once this pill cam is done and over with.

Wish you luck!
-Mary

fish oil, and Ginger

Hi Mary

Stange how everyone is diff...even the way docs do things...my docs are scared of too much pred...and they prefer entocort...go figure ...hope your feeling well.

Jerry

Hi Mary

Stange how everyone is diff...even the way docs do things...my docs are scared of too much pred...and they prefer entocort...go figure ...hope your feeling well.

Jerry
Yeah. They are all different. lol. Well, the one I have now is better than the last one I had but he doesn't communicate very much. He was my doctor in the hospital and its like he took one look at me and wanted to run! Its like he was scared to take my case. He is still scared or something. I guess it was pretty bad. I sort of remember what was going on but some of it is a blur. I had the surgery and so many tests done. Then I got a secondary infection. Well, I'm much better now and I've pretty much taken everything into my own hands. Unfortunately, I didn't go into remission after my surgery and he wouldn't put me on entocort even though the mesalamine wasn't working. So, now I'm doing some natural remedies+diet and everything is working really well. Still need to switch doctors.

I don't think I ever posted my story on here. It was just a big nightmare. I guess that is how it goes. I'll eventually post it sometime. I'm just trying to recover for now and discard my mental anguish.

;)

Sorry I kind of went off topic.

fish oil, and Ginger

Last edited: