• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Traveling with Crohn's

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and one of the matters that worries me the most in this new phase of my life, is the fact that I want (almost need) to travel 15 days after my diagnose.

I will be going to Chile for a month. I still don't know what might flare me up or not. I've been diagnosed yesterday, started today with Mesalazine 3g.

So I would like your input about traveling with Chrons:
  • Medication you take with you;
  • Extra attention in the food;
  • Ideas for needed be, going to a rest room;
  • Any other tip you find usefull.

I will be updating the thread as to make a "guide" for people who also want to travel but are a bit confused due to the CD situation.

MEDICATION​
  • More than enough supply of your prescribed medicine;
  • Pain Killers (either Paracetamol or Opiates, whatever works for you);
  • Anti Emetics and Laxatives;
  • Re-hydration salts.

GENERAL ADVICE​
FOOD
  • Avoid raw vegetables;
  • Eat plain food (meat, rice, potatoes, etc.);
  • Stick to bottled water, if there is none available try to boil it before drinking;

ON THE PLANE
  • Try and book a seat near the gallows so that you may go to the rest room without bothering other customers;
  • Speak with a flight attendant about your condition so that they are more lenient with you with bathroom trips;
  • Keep a change of clothes with you and a bag just in case;
  • Try to exercise as much as possible during long flights - Avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis

ON THE VISITED COUNTRY
  • If there is a language barrier try to take some of your medical records. It will be easier for the doctor to identify the issue with them.

ATTENTION​
If it's possible try to get a Travel Insurance. Just in case. Even though Crohn's is manageable by ourselves with dietary care, you never know the conditions you will be in or if something unexpected might show up.
You don't loose much in case it wasn't needed and you win a lot from having one, be there need for it.

CONTRIBUTORS
Rebecca85
pasobuff
Nerple

Last edited:
I went to the Dominican Republic a few months after my diagnosis. Have fun and try not to worry too much!

Medication: 2 lots of all prescribed medications (one in hand luggage, one in suitcase)
Also Painkillers (paracetamol is safest, also opiates if you have a lot if pain) anti diarrhoea, laxatives, rehydration salts.

Food: avoid raw vegetables and fruits (except bananas are good so long as you peel them yourself) and try to stick to plain meat, potatoes etc. make sure food is thoroughly cooked and either piping hot, or properly chilled. If eating off a buffet try to grab food that has just been put out. Only use bottled water, even for brushing your teeth.

On the plane, speak to the stewardess and explain your situation, they may be a bit more lenient with you with bathroom trips. Make sure you exercise and stretch your legs (CD increases chances of thrombosis).

Also I always suffer with my stomach on planes because of the pressure change, I carry spare clothes, bags and sanitary pads (to put in my undies if needed) on the plane just in case!

If you don't have travel insurance, it is strongly recommended that you buy some and declare your CD (if you have already got insurance, check the small print very carefully!)

If there is likely to be a language barrier, you can search online for translation guides in case you need medical help while abroad.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Def. take extra medication - and make sure it is in the appropriate, marked bottles!....

Have at least a couple days worth on you for the flight, also change or two of clothes. Agree on the bottled water, and food that are cooked etc.....

Also, check with your insurance company ahead of time to make sure you are covered for any medical expenses while abroad - also check out the Embassy for your country there (if there is one) - find out what hospital/doctor is recommended in case you do fall ill.....

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
I can only say you can consider hiring a traveler medical insurance (such as assist card) just for the time you are being abroad. I don't think you will really need it, but it would make you feel safer.

I strongly recommend moving to the other side of the Andes to visit Argentina, which rocks! :)

I travel about 75% of the time for my job and I've found no major problems with trvaellign with crohn's.

I agree with making sure to bring your medication on board with you. I also include a few over the counter medications I don't usually take just in case I am having a bad day such as pepto, immodium, nyquil and dayquil.

I also agree with grabbing an aisle seat, especially for flights over 2 hours. It's just easier to get up to go to the bathroom, go to the galley for a drink, or just move around. This is especially true if you are on a redeye flight, because it sucks being in a window seat when the 2 people in your row are asleep and you really want to get up. I can't sleep on planes, so when I'm on long redeye flights like transatlantics I like being able tog et up and just stand in the aisle and stretch for 30-45 minutes whenever I so desire. Especially as it bothers noone because 80% of the passengers are sleeping.

If you're traveling to an area where you don't know the local language, bring along a copy of your medical records. Should you encounter a language gap, it'd be alot easier for the doctor's to read that than understand you.

And keep a copy of your hotel info with you. In Germany I had an obstruction and needed to go to the ER and was subsequently admitted, and needed to contact the hotel to ensure a co-worker could get into my room and take the valuables for safeguarding.

I know exactly your worries. I will being going with my husband to his home country of El Salvador for a month and I need to be prepared... The problem is the country is so much more poor and some bathrooms are just concrete slabs on a concrete pot and they dont flush.. But I am not going to let this disease stop me to going to see my baby girls heritage... I will take all my meds and he guarantees if I need any meds or anything they are so much cheaper there!!! He will just have to translate if I go to the doctor..!!! LOL

Nerple| It is my first "big" flight so I'm a bit confused about if I can get up and everything. I probably won't be able to sleep as I can't do it unless I'm stretched.
I've got already all the meds I think I should take. Most general ones like Paracetamol and such my GF has them over there.
The records of your problem is also a good idea for when there is a language barrier. Thankfully for me I do speak spanish ^_______________^"

Lori| My problem is the opposite. As far as I'm told, in Chile, health care is expensive. Also I'm now aware that for instance the price of a bottle of water is about the double than in Portugal. I'll have to take that in mind as I will not be drinking water from the tap.

Overall I'm hoping for a good flight and a "0-Crohn Symptom" stay. I hope...

Generally if there are calm conditions you can get up and move around anytime but the first 20 minutes of a flight and the last 20 minutes or so. If you hit turbulence in the air, they may force you to stay seated.

And most airlines you can check and change your seats online on their website. seatguru.com is a great site for seeing where you are sitting on a plane and possible problems/benefits of those seats.

Seatguru.com is a MUST for picking seats on a plane. I bring antibacterial baby wipes and wipe down my seat, head and arm rests and most importantly, the tray table. It is one of the dirtiest places on a plane. Plus, the wipes come in handy for everything from cleaning your hands when soap and water isn't available, to spills on your shirt, and cleaning up in a pinch. ALWAYS carry a small travel package of toilet paper. Some places and countries don't have much LOL.

For long flights, eyeshades, a travel blanket and a fresh pair of socks almost makes it feel like you're in First Class. You can also bring an inflatable pillow (this comes in handy in other situations as well).

I bring a small stash of quick foods I can eat as well. But sometimes this isn't feasible depending on the countries customs laws.

Don't always trust "bottled" water. Some unscrupulous people re-use water bottles, fill them with tap water, and reseal the bottles to look brand new. Look it over before you crack it open.

Before leaving, have your doctor give you a list of meds to take or what to do in any possible "what if" situation. My family doc gave me his cell number to call anytime day or night while I'm out of the country. He's also listed what med to take, dosage etc if I flare. Obviously, bring the meds with you, IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOTTLE, and also bring a copy of the prescription. When I flew to Kuwait, I was required to have all of that to get through customs.

And this isn't Crohn's related but make a copy of your passport and carry it with you. I also have a copy of mine (and my husband's) saved in my email account. So if I needed it, I could hopefully find internet access and retrieve it. You could also email it to a family member so they have it and could get it to you in a pinch. One of my biggest fears is losing my passport.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY...bring your love of life and new experiences. Traveling makes people better human beings, giving them a greater sense of where we all fit in this world. There's always a solution if things take an unfortunate turn healthwise. I don't see the sense in worrying about it beforehand and risk ruining the irreplaceable memories. Planning yes, but worrying, naahhhhh. No fear, you only go around once :)

I'm currently planning my trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands in May. I'm sooooooo excited!

SNIP, SNIPI'm currently planning my trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands in May. I'm sooooooo excited!
Hi ThanksP! I went to Equador and the Galapagos Island in 2010. It was an amazing holiday. I had 10 days on a small boat with EcoVentura - 2 excellent guides to 16 people -and went snorkelling every day with no problems. There wasn't much choice of food on the boat, but I always managed to find something to eat. (I have an ileostomy, by the way, and am in my late 60s.)

I also had time in Quito, with side overnight trips to the Cloud Mountains and to Otavalo and a day trip to Cotapaxi plus 3 days in Buenos Aires on the way home.

Hi ThanksP! I went to Equador and the Galapagos Island in 2010. It was an amazing holiday. I had 10 days on a small boat with EcoVentura - 2 excellent guides to 16 people -and went snorkelling every day with no problems. There wasn't much choice of food on the boat, but I always managed to find something to eat. (I have an ileostomy, by the way, and am in my late 60s.)

I also had time in Quito, with side overnight trips to the Cloud Mountains and to Otavalo and a day trip to Cotapaxi plus 3 days in Buenos Aires on the way home.
YAY!!! Someone who has been there...and with Crohn/UC too!!! I've hit the lottery LOL. If you don't mind, I might be hitting you up with some questions in the next couple months. Right now I think we are going to do land based and visit some of the islands each day. My husband will be home on R&R from afghanistan so he really wants to relax. But I'm sure once he gets there he will be all too excited. I have a slight fear of water and just snorkeled for the first time last year in Hawaii. It was cool but I think I might have a coronary if a turtle or sea lion swam up along side me. But I WILL snorkel and dangit, I WILL enjoy it, come hell or high water :ylol: I really wanted to enjoy the mainland of Ecuador to get the real flavor of the country, and even sneak over to Peru. But time won't allow that unfortunately.

ThanksP, I saw a sea tortoise snorkling off the coast of Aruba years back and it was so beautiful. So graceful and serene. Now a sea lion that would freak me out!

No problems, ThanksP, ask away either here or in a private message. :thumright:

I have Crohns.

You need to get out onto the uninhabited islands to see the blue-footed and red-footed boobies. I snorkelled with giant sea turtles, sea lions, sea iguanas, penguins, small sharks and loads and loads of fish. One day I was lying on my back with two small sea lions nibbling my fins and a large male, whose colony they belonged to, swam over to investigate whether I was a threat to his supremacy. I hastily pulled my feet back under me and backed off, but he just had a look and then went on swimming by, patrolling his beach. :ybiggrin:

SNIP, SNIP So I would like your input about traveling with Chrons:
Imodium (or the like) for diarrhoea - take at the first signs of D, probably earlier than you would take it at home.

If going to less developed countries, I take a dose of antibiotics with me. Make sure that you discuss with your GP or GI which ones are suitable for someone with IBD, some will give you D! :ywow: Fortunately, I've never had to use them yet.

If you have a stoma, take one or two changes of bag (plus everything that you need) in your hand luggage. I was delayed for three days last year by the volcanic dust and was separated from my luggage.

I fedex a case of ENSURE to my hotel if I am travelling away from North America. I have found that it is difficult to find a substitute and if you are going to the Dominican or Mexico or Costa Rica or any type of resort where you will spend most of your time on the resort, you can't access it. When I feel I can't eat what's on offer in the menu, I will have my trusty case of ENSURE. Too heavy to pack. Although, if you get a doctor note, most airlines will not charge you the extra baggage for one suitcase loaded with ENSURE.

I also went to a resort for 2 weeks, and i faxed the hotel a "soft diet menu". I simply explained that I recently had surgury (didn't even bother to explain), and that I am eating a post surgical diet while I fully recover-- the Chef's at the resort were fantastic. They introduced themselves to me and I felt quite special actually, and at mealtimes, they were always looking for me to tell me what enticing post-surgical delights they dreamed up for me to eat!

No one in my circle or life knows I have Crohn's...I do not discuss it, EVER. So, I explain these habits away by simply cashing in on so much stuff you read about "local" veggies, "local" water, etc., saying that i DO NOT INTEND to eat anything that may be sprayed, not very well cooked etc., my family and friends simply think I'm weird! which is okay --- I'm happy to be weird.

Brought back from Dominican Repubic

Our trip to the DR was great except I brought back a parasitic infection that required two courses of antibiotics to beat. The problem was the all day inclusive food being displayed on an outside buffet! Birds fly in and sample the foods while leaving their droppings mixed into the food... really a misery!:frown::frown::frown:

General Suggestion: I read that some people said to put medications in the back that you check in. I would advise that be done with extreme cautious. People at the airport are allowed to go into anyone's bag and I have had stuff stolen from the airport people stealing stuff. I have never checked meds on so that wasn't a issue for me. Since many of us here are on expensive and serious medications, I would caution not having them with me at all time. If they were to take them, we would be in a very bad situation with medication and crohn's symptoms bringing us out of remission.

**Just my thoughts

General Suggestion: I read that some people said to put medications in the back that you check in. I would advise that be done with extreme cautious. People at the airport are allowed to go into anyone's bag and I have had stuff stolen from the airport people stealing stuff. I have never checked meds on so that wasn't a issue for me. Since many of us here are on expensive and serious medications, I would caution not having them with me at all time. If they were to take them, we would be in a very bad situation with medication and crohn's symptoms bringing us out of remission.

**Just my thoughts
I'd have to double check to be sure, but I've had my bags searched at the airport several times, and they have always been in my presence. I'm pretty sure, at least in the US you have the right to be present when they look through your carry-on bags... However checked baggage that set off any alarms you are never present for when they search through them. And the problem of theft from baggage is far worse with checked baggage than carry-on.

If your traveling to Europe, you should expect to pay to use the bathroom. Keep some small change available for bathroom visits. Some places, especially in Germany at gas stations on the autobahn, use an automated pay machine to enter the bathroom. Most of these give you a coupon worth the amount you paid that can be used in their store/restaurant/coffee shop.

Hi

My husband and I thinking of taking our son to San Francisco in October, so I thought I would start shopping about for travel insurance. I'm having such trouble here in the UK because of his Crohns, they'll insure him but not his Crohns (which is completely pointless!). Any suggestions anyone?

Treena x

It's never been the packing of meds and supplies that has given me the most concern when traveling, but the occasional ignorance of the TSA when it comes to the treatment and lifestyle of those with a chronic condition. Especially in the case of Tom Sawyer's pat down - I admit afterwards I was pretty scared to travel by plane. I didn't want to go through the new security scanner so they could take pictures of my bag or have my bag violated in a pat-down.

But so far it hasn't been a huge issue for me since I don't travel that often and when I do I've just walked through the basic metal scanner, which I'm thankful for - if there comes a day I need to patted-down, I know my rights.

I haven't taken big enough trips or expensive enough ostomy supplies to need travel insurance, but I always just my travelers checklist, before I go. If that helps!

Chrismac

Best of British
Hey,
I've travelled to places of varying cleanliness and for the most part I was fine. I went to Beijing and took a letter from my doctor explaining the medication in my hand luggage but they never asked about it so since then I've never bothered and not had a problem. Maybe I'll get caught out on that one day.

I have been to Tanzania and got a small flare up, but I found if I grabbed a bucket of water before I went to the toilet you can pour that down if it doesn't flush and it does the job (not that there will always be a bucket to hand)
Also, I stayed in Maasai villages which was great because it was a big pit in the ground, so you crouch and aim. Easy. No splashback, no flush worries, only bugs. I took loads of baby wipes, much nicer (except the one pitch black night I mistook my mosquito repellant wipes for baby wipes.. burn!)

When I had a really bad flare up I was in Sicily, I'd been docked there/sailing for 6 weeks. I got so bad that I was going every hour all day and night until it was just blood, no food. I lost so much energy that I couldn't even go on my watch, I spent the whole sail in bed.
Long story short, I ended up in a hospital in Catania with a Spanish speaking friend to translate (I'd have been lost without her). They took a blood test, we had to wait for hours for the results. The toilet in the waiting room had no soap, luckily I had alcohol gel. They put me on a drip that had an air bubble in it that I only noticed when it was centimetres from my vein and they had no beds so they wanted to put me on a black 'doctors room' bed. NO. WAY. I refused, checked out and went back to the boat where I was comfortable and had the crew to look after me. Lesson from that: take enough medication. The doctor can get you more if you give enough notice.

I also let my MD, and MD's nurse know I am traveling. That way if they get phone call from me they know I am calling long distance and will help me right away. This has been helpfull in the past when they were able to fax my medication information to me at a MD office in Ireland when a flair decided to hit. Just makes it eaiser

Hi guys! This is exactly the info I was looking for when I logged on.

Definitely agree about the meds. I went to Germany for a friends wedding in 2010 and it was just at the time when we got all the snow and loads of flights got cancelled. I was stuck there for a week longer than I had planned for and I ran out of Modulen and I couldnt get any decent food anywhere! Loads of sausage, chips, cheese and pepperoni.. I'm sure not all German food is like this but thats all everyone I was with seemed to want to eat. One day I took 20 lopermide and it still wasnt working... it was quite funny in hindsight!

I havent been to many countries but Australia, Spain and Frace were all fine. I'd love to go to Vietnam or Thailand but I am worried all the food will make me sick. It probably not a good idea!

This might sound strange, but I would wear one of those underwear type Depends, if you are really worried or in a flare and must travel. They aren't terribly uncomfortable and do give some piece of mind. I've used them when I'm in a flare and have to do long CT tests, just in case.

The last flight I was on, the plane got stuck on the runway for over an hour and no one was able to get up to use the restroom. And I mean NO ONE! I asked and plead with the attendents to let me use the restroom, which didn't work one bit. I even showed them my, "I CAN'T WAIT" card from the CCFA, still a no go.

Hey guys, problem here. Me and my sis are spending a month in Italy at the end of May and I don't know what to do about my Humira!! Theres no way I can keep it cold for the whole flight and everything, and then find a fridge at every hostel we stay at! Plus, I'll probably need a 2 month supply. Is it possible to obtain it in Italy rather than get it here and bring it all over the place ? Anyone have any experience with going overseas on a biologic?

I recently returned from a trip to Thailand and I was very nervous travelling on my own with crohns but surprisingly I had no major crohns symptoms until I literally landed back home, which makes me kinda think about what was so different over there?
I had no issue with getting all my medications on the plane with me I just made sure I had a letter from my specialist on me and a couple spare in my suitcase just incase.
I also requested a seat on the aisle just incase I had to do a quick dash to the loo and I also made sure I was up and moving about a lot .

Have a good trip and safe travels :)

Hey Emily! I was curious about this so I did a quick search from "traveling with humira" and what do you know...lots of other people have this question too. Here's a pretty detailed blog post:
http://travelingwithumira.blogspot.com/

Another thought might be having someone FedEx it to you overnight with dry ice. I know that you can do this domestically, but I'm not sure about international. It sounds like the makers of Humira have some good suggestions, though. Good luck and buon viaggio!

The best thing I ever did for myself on a plane flight was giving one of the flight attendants a heads up! she was so helpful the entire time! try it out some time.

Travel Kit

Aisle seat near toilets.

Tell the cabin staff about your "needs".

In your carry on bag (or pocket) - Immodium and laxatives are top priority - you never know when....

I always travel with my own (half size) toilet roll in case, and a spare clean pair of undies. Also a pack of quality "wet wipes".

Pref. take some food you can tolerate with you in case food on board is unsuitable.

Gra.

I travel about a fair old bit and have done the Uk to NZ and Aussie a few times over the last few years. That was one of my main worries at the time as I was in a bad flare up and had to fly for 26 hours. I just loaded up with Immodium and made sure my seat was "easy access".

What I always try to do, is really not think about it. Sounds weird, but stressing out seems to kick me off more?

Also a top tip, when ever you get up. Just go to the toilet and have a good old release. Also every toilet you pass in transfers, just have a go. I take full advantage of when ever I see a sign.

By the way, I taught the poor Indian fella in Dubai transfer terminal toilets a lesson he wont forget!!

Also anyone ever travelling through Sydney, make sure you have a toilet vist before going to the transfer gate. They seem to take for ever to get people through there!

Cheers
Dave...

Can anyone help please?
I live in the Uk and im due to go to Kenya 2nd July. Ive had chron's for just over 2 years and i take azathioprine 125mg. Ive been to the doctors to discuss what vaccinations i need and because my medication is an immunosuppresant i cant have the yellow fever vaccination as its a live injection. I can have other vaccinations to protect me just not this. Now as far as i know they dont check what you have and havent had when getting into kenya but has anyone been? Can anyone give me any advice? am i more at risk of getting it? im so confused.

I've booked my holiday with my friends to Rhodes next month. I'm really excited but a little bit worried. The flight is 3 1/2 hours which isn't too bad but I have only ever been on two planes before! I'm going to take all of your advice!

But I've been thinking things like, what if I go on the beach and get sand in my fistula's. I really don't want to feel them building up like an abscess again while I'm on holiday. Maybe I'm just worrying over little things! I went to the beach with them last year, I just didn't realise what they were then and hadn't been hospitalised for them!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Can anyone help please?
I live in the Uk and im due to go to Kenya 2nd July. Ive had chron's for just over 2 years and i take azathioprine 125mg. Ive been to the doctors to discuss what vaccinations i need and because my medication is an immunosuppresant i cant have the yellow fever vaccination as its a live injection. I can have other vaccinations to protect me just not this. Now as far as i know they dont check what you have and havent had when getting into kenya but has anyone been? Can anyone give me any advice? am i more at risk of getting it? im so confused.
Hi Jencav,

Kenya sounds beautiful. I have never been but the safest thing to do would be to not risk it. That being said, here is some information that can hopefully help you make your decision. It is from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), in the US, regarding Yellow Fever Risk in Africa and South America. It appears Kenya has certain high risk and lower risk areas. It also depends on the month you will be there (rainy season or not):
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...s-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever.htm

and recommendations for Immunocompromised Travelers:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...pecific-needs/immunocompromised-travelers.htm

More info about Kenya and vaccinations: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/kenya.htm

Map: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...eases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever.htm#2853

Hope it helps,
J

I have been to Kenya and was able to have the Yellow Fever vaccination, but, as Judith said, was advised that the risk varied on where and when you were travelling.

My certificate was not checked in Kenya, but the Australian authorities can be quite strict about travellers returning from Yellow Fever declared countries and my certificate was certainly checked on my return home. I don't know how the USA stands on this; it would be worth checking.

Having said that, my safari experience in Kenta and Tanzania was absolutely amazing.

I had one bad spell of vomitting and diarrhea and, as I have an ileostomy, that was a bit of a problem but I took a couple of days out, then caught up with the group.

Anyone considering a visit to Panama? We are retired and live in Panama most of the year, traveling back and forth to the USA 3-4 times a year. Here in Panama there is a new benefit for visitors - health insurance comes FREE with your stamped passport for 30 days. Nice to know! [Inquire at the information desk at the airport upon landing for a medical contact phone number in case of a medical emergency]. It is one of the countries known for 'medical tourism' since medical care is top-notch and much less expensive than in the USA. Aside from that, most medications, except controlled meds, can be bought directly from a pharmacy without a prescription from a Panamanian doctor - never tried using a USA prescription, so don't know about that. But, so far we have found out-of-pocket most of our meds cost what the copay is for Medicare or less. We have many fine hospitals and clinics throughout the country. As an example: Hospital y Clinica Punta Pacifica, which is affiliated with John Hopkins International and is located in Panama City [near the Canal], where you will most likely be landing at Tocuman International Airport. [I believe John Hopkins is considered to be one of the top medical groups in the USA, and this Panamanian hospital/clinic extension definitely reflects that reputation and standard.] You will find most college educated people speak some English and many doctors are very proficient. Also, USA money and Panamanian dollars + coins are interchangeable, so there is no "exchange rate" to worry about when purchases are made.

Travel for me has become nothing but a nightmare (since before the CD diagnose). I can't have any form of starch at all, not even trace elements so I basically can't eat which sets off low blood sugar and a pounding headache. It took me awhile after the low blood sugar to figure out to just order milk (real milk because I can't have powdered anything since they use starch as a filler in powdered things). Milk doesn't bother me at all so now I stick to that on the plane. I've had to do a couple of trips where it took over 20 hours and I was no where long enough to get a meal I could actually eat so knowing this became crucial.

Eating in country? Argh. I think it sounds easier for you all (and that's not saying you have it easy at all). For me it's the problem of most countries don't think in terms of all the different forms of starch or believe it's gluten no matter what you say. Also, many countries don't use the word starch like we do in English so you have to know every food and ingredient that has to be avoided and trust that they won't throw spices or powdered consomme in the food. Typically I won't touch anything in a restaurant or a house. I just absolutely refuse. I go to the store and buy fruit, veggies and meat I recognize and make it myself (which requires that I stay somewhere that I can do that). Thankfully fruit and veggies that don't have starch are okay for me but you can imagine how hard it is when things are unfamiliar and you have no idea what you're really getting.

The other thing I learned the hard way is that other countries have limited medication selection and a lot don't have compounding pharmacies so if I get hurt or sick, I'm pretty much done because they can't give me anything. I found that out when I was living in Costa Rica for work and I had to get transferred back.

This has really been terrible for me because I love to travel and I feel like this problem has absolutely ruined it. Instead of enjoying a country and experiencing it, I spend all of my time worrying about what and where I can eat and scheduling around that. I used to have many people I would travel with and now I have no one because none of them want to deal with these kinds of limitations and it takes all of the fun out of the trip for them as well. It's become one of the hardest things with which I've had to deal.

One thing that's useful to take, especially in countries with basic health facilities, is a sterile pack. This contains sterile needles and IV cannulas amongst other things. I'm in the UK and I was able to buy one through my family doctors surgery. Obviously it has to go in luggage in the hold.

My husband and I took them when we went to Kenya on our honeymoon (13 years ago), and that was when we were two healthy people with no medical problems, but wanted safe sharps in a country with basic healthcare and a high HIV rate.

I ended up with rotten D, simply because I wasn't used to eating so much fruit (!!), so if I'd had the gut I've got now I could have ended up really seriously dehydrated and possibly needing IV fluids.

On the subject of Kenya, we did have Yellow Fever vaccinations (though of course we had no health reasons not to), and if I remember correctly, we were told that we didn't need the vaccination certificate to get to Kenya, but that we did need it to be allowed back into the UK. I'm afraid I can't remember if it was actually checked at border control or not.

I'm not sure what the situation is with anti-malarials and Crohn's meds. I remember that different areas of Kenya have different risk levels. You have to make sure you take the anti-malarials for the specified time even after returning, otherwise you're not covered (I think that's why Cheryl Cole got sick recently).

Sorry if I've repeated anything, I didn't get to read the whole thread.

hi all!

this sticky is great! thanks for all the advice! i've got my notepad out recording it all!!

I'm interested in anyone's experience of travelling long haul with sri lankan airlines with crohns? I'm going on my honeymoon in august (i can NOT wait! so excited :dance:) and I wonder how accomodating they are? would love to chat to someone who works for them in heathrow, this forum is amazing i would not be surprised to find someone!lol

I also read something about dvt being high risk. is this something i should worry about? i had surgery 2 months ago. could this help me get extra leg room (ie which means i can run out to the bathroom when needed!).

Im also so worried about the lines that form for the loo! First- the wait when u feel like u are going to poo your pants, and second- the embarrassing smell that may be left and someone has to walk in to/ floats down the plane :stinks:
sorry for being graphic but we all know what its like!:blush:

thanks!x

Tesscorm

Staff member
FWIW, just some general travel info for Canadians...

You may find some useful information regarding steps to take while travelling with a prescription medication at the following links:
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/pdf/bon_depart-on_your_way-eng.pdf
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/medical-eng.asp#5

Should you require further information, we would recommend that you contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), since it manages Canada's borders by administering and enforcing domestic laws that govern trade and travel, as well as international agreements and conventions. Please contact the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. For calls outside of Canada (long distance charges apply), please call 1-204-983-3500, 1-506-636-5064, or e-mail at CBSA-ASFC@canada.gc.ca.

hi Ekuskrash, I have travelled heaps with crohns, India (northern) hong kong, Taiwan, Japan heaps in asia, the only advice i can give is make sure u get a letter from your DR listing your meds, take some with you on the plane the last thing u want is lost baggage with your meds in there and travel insurance declare your crohns, it may cost more but if u need it it will be worth it. I always tried to use the loo before iwent anywhere for a long period of time and just didn't eat a terrible lot when i was going to be away from a toilet for a long period of time and if i was out and about i would find a hotel and in the eating area was usually a loo nearby. Enjoy your travel dont let crohns rule your life
Cheers
healthy

Hi Mia E, this is going to sound weird but, the trick of pooing in public is flush as soon as it goes in even if u flush a few times who cares, and my poor daughter when she was little and i couldn't leave her outside while i went to the loo and i was travelling with her airports ect she had to come in with me so i got her to 1 look the ohter way and tell her sing me a lovely little song really loud so no one would hear the explosion going on (bless her little cotton socks) it was hilarious she would be disgusted if she remembered that now (she is 15 now) when u r on holidays and walking around seeing the sights need to go find a hotel where the eating area is is usually a loo nearby
Cheers have a good trip away

Diet and stress are HUGE factors. Im pretty sure Ive tried every Crohn's medication out there. Some work for a while, some don't. EVERYONE is different. Many people, like me, have obtained a symptom free life medication free simply by changing their diets. Works for some, others it doesn't. Always worth a try though, right!? I follow the "specific carbohydrate diet".

As for traveling, always know where the restroom is :) Best advice from one Crohnie to another lol. Good luck to you. :)

Hi all, I am still a newbie to this site, but I thought I would share my traveling experience. First I would like to thank everyone in this thread for their comments and suggestions because it really helped me.

I went on a three week vacation to Europe - Germany, Netherlands and Austria. Since I was newly diagnosed, I took my colonoscopy/upper endoscopy report with me as my medical info (which is all I have and my doctor suggested it as well). I also had to get a "vacation advance" on my meds, so I definitely had enough. I packed some in my purse and some in my luggage. I followed the advice of packing extra underwear and pants, toilet paper, wipes, diaper/pads, etc. in my backpack I took everywhere with me. I never ended up using them, but the comfort of knowing that I had them "just in case" was a good feeling. I used the toilet every chance I had. Sometimes even if I didn't even think I had to go, I would make the stop anyway. I always scoped out where the restrooms were. I also carried a small perfume in my purse to help with any odor (and a larger perfume/deodorizer for the hotel bathroom).

I packed some food that I knew I could eat so I would always have something safe (peanut butter, manuka honey and some gluten free crackers). Servers in restaurants were always good about letting me know what was in the dishes (my husband is fluent in German, so that also helped). Sometimes there was not a lot I could pick from, but there was always at least something. There were some times I strayed off and ate something that I knew would cause problems, but I would only eat a little and the side effects were not that bad. I did have a glass of beer, that was not a nice experience later. I don't do anything with bubbles because it just hurts too much. That was also a learning experience...a lot of places only served or carried bubbled water. I learned to always have "still water" in my purse (and stock up on it when we found it).

All in all the experience was good. Being prepared for anything really helped and also set my mind at ease. Thanks again everyone for all your input and suggestions. =)

HI everyone, I recently went on my honeymoon to Mexico in June. Everything went pretty smoothly with my Crohn's. No major flares. I took all my meds in my carry on in their original containers.

One thing that did go wrong though was my husband had the tip of his finger cut off on our second day. He was climbing up the ladder of a boat in the ocean and his finger got caught in the hinge of the ladder and it cut the tip off. We ended up staying 2 days in a mexican hospital where no one spoke english. They never asked for what drugs he was allergic to, nor did I fill out any medical paperwork for him.

Although this happened to him and not me, I did learn something about traveling and having Crohn's.

Always carry a list of your current medications in you and a list of what drugs NOT to give you if you are hospitalized.

Communicate with the people you are traveling with that you have an autoimmune disease and what they need to do if you are taken to the hospital

Fight to get a translator if you are in a nonenglish speaking country

Fight to have open communication between you and the doctor/nurses

Do your research before you travel about the surrounding hospitals etc

Always be prepared! You never know what can happen!

Well I have just booked a holiday to Los Angeles next march. Thats a 11 hour flight. Just hope im not flaring at the time. Because I do get stressed when flying and 11 hours is a long time. Still not being diagnosed with anything definate, just told it was distal proctitis 15 months ago after sigmoidoscopy and again im just settling from my 2nd flare after 4 weeks of bledding etc after suffering from some bug.

Im on mesalazine and have taken the predfoam again which works. Im just wondering if I have to get any insurance cover for Proctitis? My consultant said dont go labelling yourself a colitis sufferer on policies etc as it may burn out and was caused most prob by the virus I had. But now had another flare i think Im going have this for life.

Any info would be great?

Lara

O how exciting I lived in Colombia for a few months and it was such a good experience. The food was amazing and I wasn't strong willed enough to say no to trying all the new food so just lived with the consequences... It was worth it. I don't know if it is the same in Chilie but in Colombia you are not meant to flush toilet paper down the loo. I did not find this out until after a few days of being there...also may be helpful to carry some toilet paper/tissues with you wherever you go as a lot of the toilets didn't have any or you had to pay. O and likewise for soap, do may pay to carry hand sanitizer with you.

I hope the Crohns stays under control and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

I would strongly suggest taking Activated Charcoal tablets with food as it helps to eliminate any bad toxins or bactirea that you may have ate (consult your doctor first)

Aside from that, most medications, except controlled meds, can be bought directly from a pharmacy without a prescription from a Panamanian doctor - never tried using a USA prescription, so don't know about that. But, so far we have found out-of-pocket most of our meds cost what the copay is for Medicare or less.
Hi Tummyache!

So glad to see your post. My husband and I are hoping to move abroad at some point hopefully in a year or so. I am taking Pentasa which is keeping my Crohn's in check. My quality of life is great, but we are concerned about moving abroad and being able to continue to get Pentasa.

I was wondering - what medications have you gotten in Panama? If you have gotten Pentasa, how much was the Rx? Have you seen doctors there or had any procedures like colonoscopy, etc?

Thanks for any and all info! We were looking into Costa Rica because it has a good reputation for healthcare but Panama is also a top option for us.

Thanks!

Actually, I am one of those very lucky folks who evidently has very mild IBD which is controlled with a restricted diet [no dairy, no gluten, very low sugar], vitamins + minerals, and probiotics. I never cheat. I have been given a med to control intestinal inflammation only a few times in my life.

However, I can tell you that we live in Panama City, Panama [in a neighborhood called San Francisco], only about a mile from Punta Pacifica Hospital and Clinic [a John Hopkins International Hospital] which is excellent. We travel back and forth to TX 2 times a year where we use our medicare for those things that are less expensive there - currently medicare cannot be used in Panama. Those few meds we buy in the US through insurance are sent to us via a forwarding mail service in Miami, FL, or we get them while in TX - we do the 3 month mail order meds. This has worked out quite well! Generally in Panama, all medical care we have had costs us 1/2 to 1/3 TX medicare copay cost, plus most meds are at medicare co-pay cost or lower. For example, the most dramatic difference in cost is my thyroid med which is $8 for 50 pills in Panama. Meanwhile, our insurance in TX charges us $30 for 30 pills [all from the same original pharma company].

We thought originally we would retire to Costa Rica - but after doing our homework, we decided that Panama had a lot more to offer retirees. Panama gives us 25% off all airline fares that originate here, for example. After visiting both countries, we found Panama to be a better fit for us. Before deciding, we recommend you visit on your own in both countries and talk to as many other retirees as possible, rather than taking one of those commercial retiree trips that are pushing their agenda and keep you in a controlled environment. International living can be wonderful if you are willing to adjust to a non-USA culture and willing to try to learn Spanish, but it is not for everyone. We have known folks who couldn't adjust and soon returned to the USA. However, the rest of us are REALLY enjoying the adventure! We wish you lots of luck and fun as you explore the options!

Anyone considering a visit to Panama? We are retired and live in Panama most of the year, traveling back and forth to the USA 3-4 times a year. Here in Panama there is a new benefit for visitors - health insurance comes FREE with your stamped passport for 30 days. Nice to know! [Inquire at the information desk at the airport upon landing for a medical contact phone number in case of a medical emergency]. It is one of the countries known for 'medical tourism' since medical care is top-notch and much less expensive than in the USA. Aside from that, most medications, except controlled meds, can be bought directly from a pharmacy without a prescription from a Panamanian doctor - never tried using a USA prescription, so don't know about that. But, so far we have found out-of-pocket most of our meds cost what the copay is for Medicare or less. We have many fine hospitals and clinics throughout the country. As an example: Hospital y Clinica Punta Pacifica, which is affiliated with John Hopkins International and is located in Panama City [near the Canal], where you will most likely be landing at Tocuman International Airport. [I believe John Hopkins is considered to be one of the top medical groups in the USA, and this Panamanian hospital/clinic extension definitely reflects that reputation and standard.] You will find most college educated people speak some English and many doctors are very proficient. Also, USA money and Panamanian dollars + coins are interchangeable, so there is no "exchange rate" to worry about when purchases are made.
Just wondering if you receive remicade, and if so what is the cost in Panama?

I am taking no meds - am strict with diet [gluten free + dairy free + low sugar] and suppliments [vitamins + minerals + fish oil + probiotics]. My scopes + biopsies were clear and normal last month -so doctor said to keep doing what I am doing, for me it is working. But, some years ago they said it's likely mild Crohns. Now I am wondering if that was not miss diagnosed at the time.

I travelled from Glasgow to Australia via Dubai and back on holiday last year. I was pretty worried before hand. The flight itself was horrific but my bowels didnt move, infact they dried up a little, so make sure you drink plenty of water. Although, the que to the toilet was always massive which was a bit of a worry! Thankfully i never needed.

A couple points I like to add to this if I can: I have something called air ambulance.com basically they do international travel or cover international travel. Basically the requirements are if you're inpatient in a hospital in foreign country or anywhere 150 miles from your home and the doctor you're in the hospital with in-hospital you want to go to agree that you can be transferred were having need to be transferred they will make the arrangements and transfer you to a hospital of your choosing. That should cover the worst case scenario to get you back in country if you're really really bad.
One problem I do have a question about is we travel were some of us on Himara travel with medications like needles passing through TSA might prove to be a challenge. Those of us who have ileostomy's, might have other issues going through bio scanners. I cannot attest to TSA and ileostomy as I do not have one. But I would not go to a Third World country with our disease. That should be for obvious reasons. For people traveling overseas along Mikey different thing traveling with a companion or so, I know that I'd be traveling alone so that I have to make extreme arrangements with doctors and medication. As for telling stewardess on airplane your condition I recommend against that based on personal experience on Southwest Airlines. I would just go ahead and make the decision if you feel you need to sit near lavatory then do so on your own if you can. They told me off the plane I had to speak to an airline doctor about my Crohn's disease and I got kicked off. Just wanted to give you guys some feedback on that.

Yes, it's really important to have adequate insurance when travelling overseas. I travel a fair amount and have found that some companies will not cover me, or will give only reduced coverage, once they find out that I have Crohn's. If you shop around, however, or get advice from your local Crohn's and Colitis association, you will find an insurance company that will cover you.

I have travelled with needles, but only in my checked in luggage, so I don't know how difficult it is to get needles through security, even with a doctor's certificate. I have an ileostomy but haven't yet come across a bio scanner when travelling, however I don't think that it should create a problem.

As to Third World Countries, they can be a challenge but, with adequate preparation and precautions when you are there, do not need to be ruled out entirely. I have travelled a number of times in Africa and Asia and once in Equador and I know that some of the Forum members, like Samboi, have also travelled in Asia. I have had one situation where I was badly dehydrated from a combination of vomitting and diarrhoea, but not badly enough to be hospitalised. Yes, I get diarrhoea, but then so do many of the people around me who do not have IBD; I carry my trusty Imodium and also a stronger prescription anti-diarrhoea medication. I also carry anti-nausia medication and antibiotics, but have never had to use those.

I have never told an airline that I have Crohn's although, if I am using a travel agent I always ask them to get me an aisle seat, if possible. Some airlines will let you see what seats are unoccupied and let you choose from those.

Hello!

I have a few questions, I'm an American but I'm currently living in Japan and I was diagnosed with Crohn's in Japan in February of this year. I am travelling back to America in a few weeks for the Christmas holidays and I'm wondering what I should bring? This will be the first time I'll be going to America since I've been diagnosed and I have never been hospitalized in America so I don't know how Crohn's treatment works in America. I don't expect any problems since I've been in remission for a while now, but just in case. I've seen people say to bring medical records but mine are in Japanese so I'm not sure if they'll be helpful. I'm on Pentasa and another anti-diarrhea medicine both of which I take three times a day, should I bring a doctor's note or just a prescription? I'm staying for 18 days and I'm currently taking 9 pills a day so I'll have to take a lot of pills with me. Luckily, I have insurance here which covers me for 30 days in my home country. I am glad this thread reminded me to check that and bring my insurance info with me!

I know this is a strange situation so I understand if I can't get answers here, just thought I'd try! This thread has been very helpful already! I have two flights, the longer one is 13 hours and the whole trip is about 18 hours all together and I am really dreading it! Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I would feel very ill during these long flights (which I now think is probably due to the fact I had Crohn's but didn't know it yet) so I'm hoping to make this one as painless as possible!!

Last edited:
I always put my meds in the hotel room safe. You should always have travel insurance which covers crohns even if you dont think you will need it. I found the actual UK crohns web site charged way more for travel insurance than what you can get in moneysupermarket. I always have a food bag in my pocket, the ones with the zip on them, just in case I feel sick. I would avoid the plane food and take some plain biscuits and crisps

My son went to the US Embassy when he got to Slovenia when he was just 17. They were great help in an emergency.

Hi All,

I just found this forum tonight, but plan to be an active member.

I am 1000s of miles from home with my husband we are due to fly tomorrow but we are both freaked out because true to form I am having a terrible flare.

We have been here 8 days and only 1 of them have I been able to leave the hotel. I am now so weak that I cannot walk to the toilet alone.

I am, actually we are desperate for ideas on how to get me home.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sherrim

You must have a wheel chair waiting for you at the airport, call ahead and they will let the other end of your trip know that they need to meet you plane and have a wheelchair. Someone will be there to push the wheel chair as you husband probably has some of your luggage to carry. They are good about that if you call ahead.

Kinsey

This probably not recommended worked for me no food 12 hours before flight,2 loperamide couple of hours before one as I board,it worked for me.

Artisan105

Yondaime
I think everyone covered most of the important details. I would recommend you carry most of your medications on your carry-on. And maybe a little bottle with your daily worth of medication handy. Why not just put everything in the check-in bag? Because your bag might get lost. There is a possibility it might get mixed up; then you are basically screwed. I suggest the little bottle with the daily amount of meds because you don't want to open up all the medicine bottles in the middle of the flight. People are going to think you are a drug dealer or have a serious disease or something. :]

Always know where the bathrooms are. Eat light. Don't indulge in foods you know will harm you. Carry some sanitary wipes if you can. Be prepared. Think of the worst case scenario and prepare for it. It is always comforting to know when something happens you are ready for it. Less stress. More fun. Good luck!

Not sure how helpful this may prove to be, but one thing my husband had started doing on long road trips was bring along (and wear) some of those Men's Depends "diapers", just in case he had the urge to use the restroom, but couldn't find one or get to one soon enough. They say that stress can trigger Crohn's flare-ups, so these diapers just helped take an edge off that stress of "What if I can't find a bathroom in time??"

I find train travel works best for me. At most of the smaller stations you can usually pic your own seat. Isle tends to be best and towards the rear of the car. Normally I just sleep it off, but if i need to I can walk it off

Culturelle (probiotic) seems to help a TON with the problems I used to have with differences in water for those moments when bottled water isn't available.

Don't eat or drink before...fly in the PM if possible. Don't touch anything and keep some antiseptic wash in your pocket. Anything you don't want lost keep in your pocket

I have travelled a fair amount with my meds on me going through security. As an insulin dependant diabetic as well as a CD suffer I have never had problems with my needles. I carry the box with the prescription on it. I have travelled within Canada, the United States, Mexico and the UK. I also have a letter from my dr. and a last of prescriptions from my pharmacy. January will be mt first time travelling to Florida with my humira. Has anyone had any problems with the cold gel packs?

I'm actually about to see your country in a few weeks. I've had Crohn's for 20 plus years, and travel on a regular basis from New Zealand. Take meds., and all will be great. Enjoy your trip, as I will mine.

I have traveled all over the world. First thing is bring travel toilet paper most countries don't supply it. Make sure your meds is in carry on! Bring Imodium it will help a ton!! On the plane you can get up a lot and if the plane isn't full ask the stewardess if you can have an aisle seat and explain. Bring extra clothes in carry on and try to just relax, stress makes it worse. Know how to ask for the bathroom " puedo ir al bano?" You will do great dont let crohns hinder traveling. I was amazed I could travel

Some of my travel tips:
I don't eat a lot the day before I fly, but make sure I drink plenty of water. I always travel with baby wipes/flushable wipes for clean up with extra clothes/underwear. (especially in the carry on) I do pack my medicines in my carry on, so if the luggage gets lost I have them, if you have enough you can pack more in the luggage so if your meds get stolen you still will have them.

As far as eating I agree, stay away from raw vegetables and stick with foods you know don't aggravate symptoms.

I have not traveled out of my country yet, so I don't have travel tips for that, but copying drivers license, credit cards, and passport are a good idea.

Kudos to all Chronies that travel outside your country. Frankly I would never consider such a thing as I get stressed too easily and prolonged stress is one of my triggers. However, I do need to get away from home and as an avid photographer and artist, I love going to new places. My solution was a camper van. It has a bathroom and a bed. I keep it stocked with bottled water, foods I know I can tolerate, OTC medicines, several changes of clothes, wipes etc, that way I can easily go on day trips or over nighters. Next week we are planning to go leaf peeping in the Berkshires and are hoping to stay for 4-5 nights at a campground. This will be the longest time I have spent away from home in years.....except for hospital stays!:dusty::dusty::dusty::dusty:

I recently got back from the Bahamas and I did have some issues while I was there, but please make sure that you stay away from the spicey foods, as well as vegetables, I have had Crohns disease now for years and the best advice that I can give you is watch closely what you eat, and stay AWAY from the veggies, a normal person who doesnt have the disease has a hard time digesting vegetables, imagine what our system goes through when we try to digest them, also stay away from nuts; anything that is high in fiber. Make sure that you take all of your Crohns meds and also make sure that if your doctor has prescribed pain medicine that you take it with and always take extra (of all of your meds) for those just in case moments. Also, depending on how you are traveling; I would ask for the motion sickness patch they work great if you are traveling by boat; but, they also work for planes as well, our system gets a little shaky when we are doing anything that causes our gut to move around. Stay away from alcohol, it can throw you in a flare in no time, and stress can do the same, the last thing that you want is to go into a full flare while you are away from home! It may sound like a lot right now, but once you get used to traveling it will become like second nature to you! It is much better to be prepared for the what if's than to be stuck over there and the worst case scenario happens! My motto is "over prepare or stay here"! I hope you have a great time!

One more thing, I used to swear by water to keep from dehydrating, however my dr's informed me that while it does help all that you do is void it out (urinate) which means that you don't keep any of it in and it takes a whole lot of water to hydrate you. When if you sneak in a coke it has calories and helps your caloric intake which also means that you are holding more of it in. The carbonation also helps to ease your stomach and Coke is what works best for me. Also try not to eat the day before you travel, that way the stress from traveling doesn't have you running to the bathroom every 5 mins! Make sure to take baby wipes with you as well, if you do have multiple "meetings" in the restroom you don't want to get raw from the cheap TP! It's also great to have if you have an accident as well! Good luck and safe travels ~Kristy

All good advice, Kristy. Just to add for those with stomas, I always carry a roll of Micropore (or other similar paper surgical tape) in my handbag. If you feel that the edges of your ostomy bag are lifting, a quick tape around will hold it until you can change the whole thing. It is gentle on the skin and is easily removed.

What can I use to carry the Humira pens on trips longer than 2 hours? Also when traveling on a plane? I got a travel kit from the Humira company but it is only good for 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What can I use to carry the Humira pens on trips longer than 2 hours? Also when traveling on a plane? I got a travel kit from the Humira company but it is only good for 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a small, sealable cooler/lunch bag and filled it with commercial grade ice packs to keep my Cimzia cool. Had no problem and it was a 6 hour flight. I did make sure to wrap the syringes so they did not freeze if touching the ice packs.

I'm an experienced international traveler with CD and the only thing I can add is when traveling abroad, don't leave a restaurant right away. I have to relax for at least a half hour after finishing a meal in case I need the toilet. I'm also VERY selective with airport restaurants between flights - too many fried foods chains. The food in coach class has gotten so bad that I no longer eat it - I pack non perishable stuff like nuts, granola bars, crackers.

I have a pretty basic question. My 13 year old just started Remicade about a month ago. What have you done to avoid all the germs on airplanes? I'm half tempted to have him wear a mask the whole time, but I know he'd roll his eyes at that one. I'm a bit of a germaphobe myself. Any suggestions?

Take some Lysol wipes and clean the seat and all around it. I did that as well as hotel rooms etc to make sure it was clean. You have to keep on living but use some strategies to make it a bit easier.

I have a pretty basic question. My 13 year old just started Remicade about a month ago. What have you done to avoid all the germs on airplanes? I'm half tempted to have him wear a mask the whole time, but I know he'd roll his eyes at that one. I'm a bit of a germaphobe myself. Any suggestions?
I wear a N95 mask every time I fly on an airplane. I have never gotten sick once I started wearing it. Before that I always seemed to catch something a day or two after flying. People look at you a little funny but I don't care. I tell the person I'm sitting next to that I'm not sick but that I don't want to get sick. Once I say that it seems to break the ice and I have no problems with others flying.

I always use lysol wipes on the arm rest, head rest, window (if I'm in window seat) and most importantly, the tray. I read a study once about the dirtiest place on a plane and it was the tray, and the back seat pocket. I also have a dear friend who is a flight attendant and she tells me all the disgusting things people do on the pull out tray. Ewwwww. I fly quite a bit and have never gotten sick specifically from air travel. Just make sure to wash hands more frequently and he'll be good to go.

I travel quite regularly both professionally and personally. The only thing I would add on the medicines is when I'm on immunosuppressants I get my doctor to give me a prescription for a Zpack, in case I pick up a respiratory bug. I always do a little research on the public restroom situation before I head out. It gives you an opportunity to think through strategies before you leave and prepare. I just returned from China and that research was a life saver!

I went to China for what was meant to be a year, ended up being 16 months. I did pretty much everything on that list, apart from the simple foods part, well, meat buns are kind of simple, but highly seasoned noodles/meat/fish/everything else, maybe not so simple.
I had 3 months worth of Azathioprine with me, and paracetamol, but I could get more if I needed, dirt cheap there, had rehydration capsules and everything. I even had insurance in case. I was meant to somehow get a repeat prescription of Azathioprine while I was over there, but it seemed like alot of trouble... and I didn't want to bother my boss, at the risk of being sent home because I was 'sick'. But as it turned out. I didn't need it. I went 12 months pretty much without meds. The only time I visited the doctor was when I had a really bad cough/cold and in China they just stick an IV in you for a few hours over a few days and you've fixed. For cold's and simple things I mean... but otherwise apart from the occasional niggle from things I ate(mostly when I ate western food I might add), I was fine. I stopped drinking alot of fizzy drinks over there too, and drinks that were super cold. Because pretty much everyone I spoke to said warm/hot water is better for you. It's why everyone where I was carries these flasks around with them... for tea and hot drinks... not sure I believed it while I was over there though lol. Still. 12 months with no drugs and eating what I liked. It's bizarre and my doctors can't explain it... specially after coming back to the UK it's pretty much all gone to hell.

Indeed it does. But I ate what I assumed was processed Chinese food while I was there too. These delicious hot dogs which I used when I cooked my own stuff hehe. And there was alot of street food which can't have been good for you, hot dogs, fried pancake roll things, processed fish and pork and meat balls, more deep fried stuff hehe. But I was eating alot of tofu and rice cakes and fish and all the other meats. With various kinds of noodles. And rice and soups. But in comparison, I only seemed to get niggles of any kind from McDonalds, and pizza... KFC popcorn chicken was ok, and I think the chicken burgers were too. But the cheaper place further from the town center had nicer burgers anyways. If I was hankering for western food hehe. 5-6yuan(50p-60p) for a beef burger or chicken burger. Small. but delicious.

Be careful with anti-malarial meds!

I started working in Africa (Angola) back in August. I was prescribed Malarone as a prophylactic anti-malarial. On my second hitch in October I had a terrible flare that I attribute to the malarone. It was this flare that actually led to the colonoscopy and crohn's diagnosis. After talking to coworkers, many healthy folks have had issues with malarone. I am no longer taking it or any anti-malarial.

Sauerkraut seems to really help my digestive system. I actually made some while in Africa in December. I go back soon, I am going to pack some homemade sauerkraut in a cooler in my check bag. Otherwise, I bring lots of food with me (isopure protien shake, lots of nuts, beef jerky, and quest low carb protien bars).

Hi there.

I just got back from a trip back and forth from Sydney-USA ... 2 weeks after surgery (had no way of changing my ticket).

Other people have mentioned a number of things. Two things that helped me immensely on my return trip: Personal fan (lots of travel stores sell small fans), and an inflatable pillow for comfort.

I need decent air circulation because of my constant heat/hot flares.

Take care.