• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira injection pain getting worse!

Hi all!

I am looking to get some opinions on your Humira injections. I have been on Humira for almost 3 years now. I am doing a 40mg pen injection every other week. When I first started I was doing the injections in my stomach. After about a year that got to be too painful (which the nurse did warn me about). Then I switched to the leg and it was SO much better. But now, it is starting to get bad again. The past 3 injections I have done have been extremely painful. The burn is really intense, the skin around the injection site is very red and sometimes a little swollen now. That deep ache in my leg lasts a little longer than it used to. When I was having these "allergic reactions" around the injection site in my stomach my GI had be taking 20mg of Prednisone the morning of my injection, and 2 Benadryl's about 20 min. before the shot. It seems that might not be doing much anymore. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so did you find any solutions? I really don't want to have to switch medications because of this but it is becoming pretty awful :sign0085:

Have you tried switching to the syringes? The pen is more convenient, but the syringes are less irritating and easier to control. Also, if you make sure you let the Humira sit at room temp for 15-20 mins before injecting it is less irritating going in.

I haven't experienced this yet. Anyways, you probably already thought of this but do you think like switching the injection site each time would cause it to hurt less? Like right thigh, left thigh, left stomach, right stomach. It would allow each part almost 8 weeks to heal.

I am really not sure if it would affect the Humira if you kept switching like that, but just throwing out an idea!

Have you tried switching to the syringes? The pen is more convenient, but the syringes are less irritating and easier to control. Also, if you make sure you let the Humira sit at room temp for 15-20 mins before injecting it is less irritating going in.
I usually do let it sit out for 10 minutes, maybe I will try 15 next time. I don't know if I could do the syringes haha, I will consider it though if this doesn't get any better

I haven't experienced this yet. Anyways, you probably already thought of this but do you think like switching the injection site each time would cause it to hurt less? Like right thigh, left thigh, left stomach, right stomach. It would allow each part almost 8 weeks to heal.

I am really not sure if it would affect the Humira if you kept switching like that, but just throwing out an idea!
I do switch legs each time, but it got to the point where it hurt SO bad in my stomach between the burning and bruising, now I am just on the legs. I also try to switch the part of my legs I do it on by a couple of inches each time. I don't have a ton of fat on my body, especially my legs and stomach so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

My injection site is red and swollen after each of my injections. It is warm to the touch and itchy. It is usually gone after 48 hours. I move around between my legs and stomach. Zyrtec helps me some. I take it about an hour before the injection. Sometimes I take Benadryl afterwards. Don't really think Benadryl does much of anything for me other than making me sleepy.

I have definitely noticed the pain increasing with each injection. It does not hurt for long, but the intensity is heading up there. I don't think I want to try the syringe yet, either. I'm a chicken :)

rkoll, how much did it hurt when you first started Humira? I wonder why it would start hurting more now; one would think your body would be used to it by now?

Have you tried icing down the injection site beforehand? Do you pinch up a section of skin/fat to inject into or do you just apply the pen directly onto a flat skin surface (pinching up the skin/fat might help)?

I experienced it too. I switched from thighs to stomach, left the pen out about 20 minutes this time, and took a hot shower beforehand. Seemed to help a bit.

the sryinge May be easier than you think...and it is so nice to control the injection rate. It takes me a minute or two to finish my injections and it only took a couple of times to get used to injecting myself...it was far easier than injecting my daughter :)

rkoll, how much did it hurt when you first started Humira? I wonder why it would start hurting more now; one would think your body would be used to it by now?

Have you tried icing down the injection site beforehand? Do you pinch up a section of skin/fat to inject into or do you just apply the pen directly onto a flat skin surface (pinching up the skin/fat might help)?
It definitely didn't hurt this bad. I had read and heard things about how over time your body starts to build up somewhat of a tolerance so they become more painful? I do pinch up some skin, but I am nervous to try the ice because I've heard it can make it more painful.

Just like others said,"what's worse crohns flare or injection pain?" I'll go with minor injection pain. So long as there is no infection or other complications.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Just like others said,"what's worse crohns flare or injection pain?" I'll go with minor injection pain. So long as there is no infection or other complications.
I'm with you on this. I tried everything people have tried here and none of it worked for me. Now I just get it over as fast ad I can.

Make sure the alcohol is dry (blow on it), the pen is room temperature, and some people say that icing the area down first helps numb it to the injection sting. I'd rather sting than be cold.

Try to relax the muscle during the injection. If you are tense, the pain will last longer. Usually do it on my legs. Shake the leg to make sure you are relaxed, pinch the skin and inject.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I definitely make sure the alcohol is dry (made that mistake once, eek!) and that my leg is relaxed. I do pinch the skin as well. I have lost a little weight over the past few months, and am really tiny as it is so there isn't much for me to grab anywhere. But you're right, it is definitely worth it because I have been feeling pretty great since on the Humira. I guess I will just have to suck it up!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I definitely make sure the alcohol is dry (made that mistake once, eek!) and that my leg is relaxed. I do pinch the skin as well. I have lost a little weight over the past few months, and am really tiny as it is so there isn't much for me to grab anywhere. But you're right, it is definitely worth it because I have been feeling pretty great since on the Humira. I guess I will just have to suck it up!
I'm still trying to gauge weather it's worth it to me or not. Between MTX and humira injections making me so tired I have to wonder. Doctors say that it's normal for some people to feel this way. I ice down the injection area as well pior to injecting, makes things easier.

Another option is to inject into either your buttocks or arm. Obviously you would need to get someone else to do it for you though if you wanted to do this. Think the butt might be a good place actually as everyone has loads of muscle there, so shouldn't hurt very much.

Another option is to inject into either your buttocks or arm. Obviously you would need to get someone else to do it for you though if you wanted to do this. Think the butt might be a good place actually as everyone has loads of muscle there, so shouldn't hurt very much.
I am wondering if this is different because you are in the UK, or because I use the pen not a syringe. But I was instructed the only two places to do the injections was stomach and top of the front of my thighs?

There's no reason why it can't be given in any of the many possible subcutaneous injection sites on the body as far as I know, there are definitely people out there who inject it into the buttocks. I believe it isn't readily advertised as it is a bit difficult to inject with the pen anywhere other than the stomach/thigh if you are doing it on your own. If you are in that much pain then I would definitely confirm with your doctor/nurse if it is possible to do it in the butt as that is supposedly the least painful site for any injection. (probably wouldn't try the arm as that is one of the worst)

I've had over 100 shots and the pen is easier but a little more painful. I ice the site a good 15-20 minutes before getting the injection. It helps if someone can give it to you so that you can pinch an earlobe or some other area to distract the brain. It still hurts like hell but not as bad. I don't recommend the arm as I did that once in the beginning and thought I was going to die. Just not enough muscle in that area. Good luck!