Share Facebook

11-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #2641
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks, guys. Carol, I don't think wealthy is ever going to happen - I'd settle for being financially stable. Tony, I'm working on my health during my time "between jobs" (I was at the grocery store and overheard two women talking, and one of them said to the other that she's between jobs right now - that's a much nicer way of saying unemployed!).

I've been exercising as much as I can. I finally got over my cold a few days ago. Took a long walk through the forest path on Monday, I walked about 3 miles. It was chilly but not unreasonably so, and I had a really nice walk. Tuesday, I went to the big paid membership gym for the first time in quite awhile. I was definitely rusty but I gave it my best effort! I lifted weights for as much as I could & as long as I could. I came away with rubbery arms & legs and could barely finish my cool-down. I usually walk on the treadmill to cool down after lifting weights - I was so weak and rubbery though that I kept nearly falling off the stupid thing! But fortunately I didn't overdo things, I didn't pay for that later on.

Yesterday I went to my favorite hiking place and did a challenging 3ish (maybe closer to 4) mile hike. There's a lot of uphill and then a lot of downhill on this particular trail but it's also really beautiful and I see very few other people there - this was my 2nd time tackling this trail. The first time I hiked there, I saw 2 other people the whole time. This time I also only saw 2 other people. I love the solitude and the forest, it's just the best thing. My fitbit said I walked uphill the equivalent of about 45 flights of stairs during my hike.

So I've had a few good days of workouts and I feel good physically. My guts have been pretty quiet since I got laid off - not having to go to work, not having that stress, has done some good things for me. I'll obviously need to get another job at some point, but not immediately. I am being paid through tomorrow, and then I can get unemployment pay until I find another job, so I'll still be relatively okay financially (I'm very thrifty anyway).

Since I had 2 strenuous workouts the past 2 days, I decided to take a rest day today. I'm going back to the big gym tomorrow for another weights workout, hopefully this time I'll be slightly less rubbery and weak by the end of my workout. Today I went thrift shopping - I'm always up for buying clothes, and I found a few professional pieces that I could wear to job interviews, including a very nice black blazer.

Lily's still doing okay. She just pestered me as I was typing, wanting some treats, so I told her to say "woof" to you guys and she did. Lily says woof (and she received some yummy green beans). Saturday will be 4 months since she had her surgery, she'll have made it a full month past her estimated expiration date. She still seems to be feeling no pain, and still has a good appetite. She also really seems to enjoy having me home a lot more now that I'm not working, and pretty much pesters me for treats every moment that she's not resting.
11-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #2642
cmack

My Support Groups:
I'm really glad you are finally able to unwind after all the stress from your old job. I'm also happy to hear that you are feeling better physically, I really love walking in the forest too. Be good to yourself Cat, you definitely deserve it. Be sure to give Lily a pat and a tummy rub for me.
11-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #2643
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Good to see you feeling better Cat....good news about Lily enjoying her food..
Nothing like good long walks in the fresh air to clear the mind and restore the soul.
Itís very healing in itself.
Winning.....
11-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #2644
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've worked out a couple times since I last posted. Had a workout in my home gym on Friday - didn't feel like leaving the house that day, so stayed home and lifted. Sunday, I had been planning to go to the gym again, but my guts weren't great that day, so I rested instead. Went to the gym today and felt pretty good.

And, I've got some leads on the job situation. The front-runner right now is that I have a phone interview tomorrow for a customer service job at a company that makes colon cancer screening kits, so that's quite exciting. The recruiter reached out to me about the job, so it seems like they like my resume, and I'm excited about this particular company for obvious reasons. Wish me luck!
11-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #2645
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, and Lily is still doing okay. She's resting right now. She's still getting steak even on days when I'm eating ramen noodles - I refuse to lower my budget for spoiling her, even during my time of unemployment. So she's pretty happy and still is showing no signs of pain.
11-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #2646
cmack

My Support Groups:
Oh, and Lily is still doing okay. She's resting right now. She's still getting steak even on days when I'm eating ramen noodles - I refuse to lower my budget for spoiling her, even during my time of unemployment. So she's pretty happy and still is showing no signs of pain.
I know what it's like, I spoiled my old girl till the very end. Good on you for being so compassionate. You are an awesome pet owner Cat. A lot of people just give up...but you aren't a lot of people, what you are is a truly kind soul.
11-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #2647
Tony H

great that Lily is still able to enjoy steak , I think I would prefer ramen noodles , love Asian food .

emazole 40mg daily
11-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #2648
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Tony, me too. The best I've felt in a long time was when I was in Japan. All the food sat really well with me (and was delicious, too). And I can't eat steak anyway as I can't do any beef at all.

I was hoping to hit the gym today, but life got in the way. Long story short, our furnace was garbage and was pumping out some carbon monoxide. We had to get a new furnace installed today which took up a good chunk of the day and a whole lot of money too. So I didn't end up making it to the gym. I'll try again on Friday, as tomorrow is thanksgiving and my parents are coming over for turkey.
11-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #2649
cmack

My Support Groups:
Happy Thanksgiving in advance Cat. I wish I could have been there to help because I used to install and repair furnace systems. I'm glad you found out about the CO. Carbon monoxide is very serious, and I know of people who have lost their lives to it. I hope you have a CO detector. Replace your CO detector every five years and place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Consider buying a detector with a digital readout. This type of detector can tell you the highest level of CO concentration in your home in addition to alarming. You should also change the battery(obviously you don't need to if it is plugged into the wall) every time you change the clocks, 1 year maximum for the battery to be changed. Battery powered is better because it works in the event of a power outage.

Yup I was a fireman before being ill too, what haven't I done besides travel
and own my own house?

Edited to add: Always follow the manufacturers instructions regarding battery changes, some go through batteries faster than others.

Last edited by cmack; 11-23-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Sometimes I make mistakes ;^)
11-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #2650
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chris, yes, I definitely know to change out the batteries often in the smoke & carbon monoxide detectors. A friend of mine died in a house fire - he was 19 years old, and this month it's been 19 years since he died. His smoke detector apparently didn't have good batteries or just plain didn't work (survivors of that fire said they never heard the smoke detector go off, and afterwards it was completely melted off the wall). My friend might have lived if the smoke detector had been working.

Fitness-wise, I haven't done anything. After the furnace fiasco, it was thanksgiving, and then I had to clean up after thanksgiving and put up the xmas tree, and then I've had multiple phone and in-person job interviews, plus I'm trying to hand-make most of my xmas gifts this year due to a lack of funds. Phew! Oh, and my guts were pretty bad this morning, but they're doing better this evening. So yeah, I've been busy, and not hitting the gym. I'm planning to get back to the gym shortly. The weather is looking fairly nice tomorrow, so I'm thinking a long walk is in order. It looks like rain on Thurs, so a trip to the gym will happen then (as long as my guts are okay).

Lily's doing okay. She's been coughing and snorking a little bit more again lately. And she's had a couple moments here and there where I wonder if she's in pain, but then the moment passes and she smiles, so I think she's still feeling okay. It's so hard to tell for sure. She's still eating very well, though - she just scarfed down her dinner and immediately looked to me to see if she could get more food. And she's walked past and smiled at me at least twice as I was writing this post (she's currently staring at hubby to see if he'll give her any food). So, overall I think she's still okay.
11-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #2651
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Guts were unhappy again this morning - we've come to a tentative truce this afternoon. But, even so, I didn't think it was wise to take a walk through the forest path, as there are very limited bathrooms on that path (at one far end there's a gas station with a bathroom, and on the other far end there's a fast food restaurant, but for the middle 2ish miles there's no bathroom). I didn't want to get stuck needing a bathroom and not having one nearby. So instead I ran some errands, went to the bank and went grocery shopping, and then did some cleaning and washed dishes. Going to do a bit of sewing shortly and then will cook hubby his dinner.

The good news is, the weather is looking better tomorrow, it might not rain after all. So maybe I'll walk tomorrow instead, if my guts allow, and go to the gym on Friday. I'm hoping to get some news on the job front in the next day or two. My #2 choice offered me a job, but I told them I need a few days to think about it - I'm waiting for my #1 choice to get back to me (the wheels are in motion, the paperwork was submitted, now just waiting on the liaison to tell the recruiter what the next steps are). My #1 choice is the stool sample place - I think I'd be perfect to work at a place that does stool samples! So, hopefully I'll get a call tomorrowish. Wish me luck!
11-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #2652
cmack

My Support Groups:
Good luck!
11-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #2653
Tony H

sorry about the guts not doing too well Cat but good news that you have at least one job offer
12-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #2654
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I didn't end up doing any exercise yesterday, as Lily wasn't feeling well. Fortunately, she's feeling a lot better today! She really had me worried yesterday, though. Right from when we woke up, hubby and I noticed that she was very lethargic. She wasn't smiling, she wasn't doing her happy rolls after eating (but she fortunately was still eating), she wasn't perky at all - all she did was rest and look sad. And she had some diarrhea too when I took her out to potty. I was honestly worried that we might be nearing the end. But, then later in the afternoon, she perked up and did her happy rolls and started smiling again and was pestering me for treats - she was back to her usual self again. Phew!

But, because of her not feeling well yesterday, obviously I didn't want to leave her, so I stayed home and watched over her. Today she seems to be feeling okay (she was just pestering me for treats), so for real I'm taking a walk today. The weather looks gorgeous, unseasonably warm for Wisconsin in December. It's going to be 50 degrees F today! And it's sunny and just gorgeous. I will only need a light jacket for my walk, not a winter coat like I should need this time of year. My guts are feeling pretty good today, too, so I'm not too worried about finding bathrooms on my walk.
12-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #2655
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I did have a long walk yesterday. I had made it my goal to get all 10,000 steps on one walk, and I almost made it. I did 9,000 steps in one walk! I walked a little over 4 miles on the forest path. I felt really depressed at first - I was feeling really down the whole morning. I always listen to my ipod when I walk, and at first I was stuck on one really sad song that I kept playing on repeat. (Goodbye (Annyeong) by 2NE1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEkLHC7l25w - click on captions to see the English translation of the lyrics.) I just got stuck in a sadness spiral. I was sad about Lily and about my job situation and my financial situation and just had myself a little pity party. Walking usually makes me feel better, especially in the forest, but it took most of my walk for me to start to feel less sad.

Once I got myself out of that sadness spiral, I put a much happier, peppier song on repeat instead (Clap Your Hands (Bak Soo Chyeo) by 2NE1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTw-UM5Jy4E - obviously that song is from much earlier in their career; Goodbye was literally their goodbye song as they broke up and were saying goodbye to their fans and to their 4th member who had left the group earlier.) Music powers my workouts 100%, I could not do a workout without music, and obviously I have strong feelings about 2NE1, so that peppy song really got me through the last of my walk and put some pep in my step. So in the end I did have a nice walk, even if I started out having a pity party.

I think today I'm going to have a hike. My walk in the woods yesterday did such good for me, that I want to keep that going. With less sad music today. I'll go to my usual spot with all the uphill. It's a pretty place, and we haven't had rain lately so it won't be muddy.
12-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #2656
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I should add that Lily's been feeling okay the past couple of days. A friend of mine who battled cancer earlier this year told me that Lily is entitled to have bad days, so I'm trying to be mindful of that.
12-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #2657
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hey Cat,

I'm listening to Warren G today, so yeah, (I was the kid listening to Hip Hop while you were studying). We're about the same age. I have been very hurt and stuck in a bit of a spiral before, I hope you remember to keep feeling positive. You are a very positive person and you are a pleasure to talk to.
12-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #2658
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks buddy. Sometimes it's very hard to be positive, but I'm trying. Yeah, I think you and I must be very close in age? I just turned 38. I never really have listened to popular music myself either - in high school I was listening to Bjork and TMBG. Nowadays I mostly listen to Japanese and Korean pop. My favorite singer is Utada Hikaru, who sings in both Japanese and in English, but she took a very long hiatus starting in 2010, so while she was away I got into K-pop, especially Big Bang and 2NE1. Last year, right around the same time that Utada finally broke her long hiatus and released a new album, 2NE1 broke up and Big Bang also went on a long hiatus. My favorite singers and groups keep going away...

I had to think hard about who Warren G is. All I could think of at first was Kenny G!

I didn't end up hiking today. I kept trying to get myself motivated to get up and go, but I just felt so lazy today. So I ended up having a lazy day instead. Will try again tomorrow for a hike. It looks like I should have about one more week of going hiking and having lazy days. The week after next, I have an interview for a temp position, and it sounds as though they'd like me to start that position "immediately" following the interview. I should be a shoo-in for the position - it's at the stool sample place. And they have a permanent position which I should also be a shoo-in for, which starts in late January. Soo, with any luck, I'll be back to work soon, at the place I have been hoping to work for. Getting back to work should help me feel less depressed.
12-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #2659
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had a nice long hike yesterday, that made me feel a lot better. And today, I hit the gym for a weights session. Totally wore myself out and ended up really shaky again at the end of my workout. But, I feel good. My body usually responds well to me exercising intensely, and today is no exception. Even though I exhaust myself, I feel really good both during and after a workout like that.

My week has been thrown for a loop! I had been intending to hit the gym Mon, Weds, Fri and Sun. And then a phone interview next week Monday. But I got an email this afternoon saying they want to move my phone interview up sooner, to this week. I responded saying that I'm available at any time this week, so I'm waiting to hear back from them as to when the interview will actually be. It sounds like I'll start the temp job right after the phone interview. So, my workout schedule will change, but I'm not sure how much.

The temp job will last 6ish weeks, and then the permanent position starts in late January, and I know I'll have to sit through a training class (4 weeks?) for the permanent position. So, the next few months will be busy. I'm going to try to exercise as much as I can during this time in spite of the business - fortunately, the big paid membership gym is open 24/7, so I will likely hit the gym in the evenings after work as I'm just not able to be a morning exerciser (my GERD and my guts are often not happy in the mornings - I did once try hitting the gym in the morning, but I refluxed too much and had to stop).
12-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #2660
Tony H

Hey Cat hope the rescheduled interview goes well today , hope your gut gets over the stress , hugs to Lily from Alfie and myself
12-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #2661
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Hope everything goes your way. Cat...big hug for Lily...

Last edited by Trysha; 12-08-2017 at 06:01 PM.