• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD / Paleo / GAPS Support for February 2013

I made great Ranch...

1 cup homemade mayo
1 cup full fat canned coconut milk (the SCD safe kind)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

I added the following to taste. Sorry, I will measure next time.

garlic powder
dried dill
chives
ground mustard
sea salt
pepper

It was good :) Very good :thumright:

I was also thinking about KWalker and his suggestion of using Pinterest for recipes. I opened an account and am trying to figure it out.

If you are on the SCD/paleo or similar diet and want to be friends on Pinterest to share recipes just message me and I will attempt to figure out how to add you.

KWalker

Wow, for some reason I thought I was tagged in the January support thread so I never replied to this. Is the SCD mayo hard to make? I would love to make ranch sauce because it would really open up options because I could take regular meats and just dip them to change it up.

Wow, for some reason I thought I was tagged in the January support thread so I never replied to this. Is the SCD mayo hard to make? I would love to make ranch sauce because it would really open up options because I could take regular meats and just dip them to change it up.
Do you have a decent blender? The homemade mayo rocks. It opens a ton of dressing and sauce options. We make ranch, honey mustard, etc. Also, it is really good mixed with salsa (tastes like sour cream and salsa mixed). I make it out of light olive oil and it really isn't difficult. I can give you tips if you want to try it. Just let me know :)

Yes, I have a very good blender.
Mayo is pretty easy, really. Once you get the hang of it you will love it. In the bottom of your blender put a whole egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (or 1 Tbs each ~ that is what I do). Let these ingredients sit for about 30 minutes to get to room temp. Measure one cup olive oil in a different cup/container. The glass measuring cups with a pour spout are perfect. Do not pour the one cup into the blender yet. This where it gets tricky ~ if you have a lower end blender, put the blender on high. With my vitamix, high is too high. So, unless you have a vitamix, blendtec, or a similar very high speed blender high should be fine. Once it is on high, very slowly drizzle a steady stream of the olive oil (the one cup you measured) into the blender while it is blending on high. It should take about 60 seconds for you to drizzle the olive oil. If you dump, it will not work. If you end up with a small layer of oil on top of the mayo, that is okay. When you are done you can simply stir it into your mixture. I put the end product in a mason jar and label it. Let me know how it works.

How long dose the mayo stay fresh? Also do you think you could use a Cusinart mixing wand?

My sister sent me the book "Eat Well Feel Well" so I have been reading up on SCD. I just ordered "Breaking The Vicious Cycle"

Not ready to commit just yet but getting closer.

Currently taking Humira 40 mg every 2 weeks and Azathioprine 150mg daily. Humira is going to be weekly soon.

Crohn's Dx June 2011, primarily in the TI some in the colon

Past meds: Entocort, prednisone and Pentasa.

How long dose the mayo stay fresh? Also do you think you could use a Cusinart mixing wand?

My sister sent me the book "Eat Well Feel Well" so I have been reading up on SCD. I just ordered "Breaking The Vicious Cycle"

Not ready to commit just yet but getting closer.
It is suggested that you consider the expiration date the same as the expiration for the eggs you use. I try to use my freshest eggs for mayo. The mixing wand? Hey, it is worth a try! I have heard of people using similar tools. Let us know if it works for you.

The book is great. It is easy to read and it makes sense. I wasn't sure about the diet either (from just internet reading) but then I read the book and it was so clear how this method/diet could help.

I found a better bread recipe. The batter made the best pancakes ever.

Bread (Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Gaps)

The pureed cashews and unflavored gelatin help add structure to this bread. I store the bread wrapped in a large piece of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Elana’s Pantry
Makes one 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ loaf

For the dough:
1/2 cup cashews (I prefer to use soaked and dehydrated cashews)
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (I prefer Great Lakes or Bernard Jensen)
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon honey (I used clover)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Place cashews and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and let soak for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Butter a 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ glass loaf pan. Pour cashews and water mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times to ensure all cashews are pureed. Add almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin, salt, baking soda, eggs, butter, honey and cider vinegar to the cashew mixture. Process until smooth. Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outer edges of the bread and then invert bread onto a cooling rack and remove from loaf pan. Serve.

Here's a couple recipes I recently made which were good

Zesty Shrimp-Avocado Omelet
2 omega 3-enriched eggs
1 T olive oil
1 T chopped scallions
1 T chopped tomatoes
1/2 c small shrimp
1 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp black pepper
Guacamole Fiesta

Cook an omelet and fill it with the scallions, shrimp, tomatoes then the dill and pepper. Fold in half and top with guacamole fiesta.

Making guacamole fiesta
3 ripe avocados
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 jalapeno pepper finely diced, destemmed, deseeded

Mash avocados together with a fork or potato masher until smooth, then mix the rest and stir until well mixed.

-------------------------------------

Omega 3 mayonnaise
1 whole egg
1 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c flaxseed oil

Put egg, lemon juice, mustard in a blender for 3-5 seconds. Continue blending and slowly add oils. Blend until the mayo is thick. Refrigerate and it keeps for 5-7 days.

Veggie Dip
1 c Omega 3 mayonnaise
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pepper to taste

Just mix the ingredients with a spoon. (I've been going through raw vegetables like crazy with this dip)

It seems like E has settled in at 82 pounds. 82 is within the healthy weight range for his age and height. At his lowest, he looked bad, but he really doesn't look unhealthy at 82 pounds. Before he got sick he was around 90-92 pounds, so I was hopeful to get back up to the starting weight.
Should I just relax and consider this the new normal? Any thoughts? Thanks ya'll :)

KWalker

That's great news! I look at it like it's better to be a little smaller but healthy than the previous weight and not healthy.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking about keeping a food diary and counting calories, but (as you know) I already spend so much time focused on feeding him and cooking special foods. I hate to add to my workload. Trying to calculate calories with everything being made from scratch ~ what a nightmare! So I plugged his current weight into a pediatric BMI calculator and he is in the normal range. So the only reason I would be calculating it all out is to make sure he puts on weight to impress the doctor. I am just not convinced it is worth it. I have noticed the last few days that his skin coloring looks so much better. He doesn't look sunken in the face and his wrists aren't bones. The ten pounds he has put on has done quite a bit for him.

KWalker

You should have a look at www.myfitnesspal.com because you can use it as a food diary/calorie counter. I used to use it a lot and you just find the food you eat from the drop down box and then it does the rest for you. It tells you how much you would have to eat if you want to gain/lose/maintain, etc.

Those hand blenders work GREAT for homemade mayo. Using a regular blender my mayo wouldn't work half the time. I saw some YouTube videos using a hand blender, tried it, and have yet to make a bad batch. I've made a gazillion batches successfully. You don't have to drizzle the oil or let it come to room temp. Just dump everything in and blend. Fifteen seconds later you've got mayo. :D

I got this online somewhere. If I ever remember I'll credit the author.

Jimmy Dean Style Breakfast Sausage (SCD legal)

16 oz gr pork
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp coriander
* 1/4 tsp cayenne

Mix, patty out, fry or bake. Enjoy.

I use Penzey's spices. They affordable, high quality and SCD legal.

*Regarding the cayenne, if I used the whole 1/4 tsp it'd bother me so I just used a tiny pinch. IMO, the sausages are missing something essential without it though.

Stuffed Burgers (SCD legal)[/B]

2-1/4 lbs ground beef
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 cup chopped parsley (I guesstimated a dried amount)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup gorgonzola cheese

Mix beef, tarrogon, parsley. Form mix into 12 patties. Sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over half the patties, put other patties on top and seal edges. Grill, fry or bake until done.

KWalker

Its true in my opinion. Being on heavy for a big part of my life I always felt like I was just placing a band aid over the damage from crohns and being told I could never manage without medicine. I honestly feel now that I'm in the healing process. I feel healthy, and better about myself knowing I've become healthier and not just putting more chemicals into my body.

Chive Shallot Dressing, SCD legal
All amounts are approximate
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 to 3/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil
couple splashes white vinegar
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tsp shredded fresh shallot (I ran it across a hand grater)

Mix and enjoy the salty-tart-chivey grooviness.

I have been watching and waiting to see what E is doing right now. He went for a very long time (like 10-14 days) completely solid and now he is a tad bit loose (only like 1-2 BMs a day though). He has had the flu though? I think it might just be sickness. We also tried some salsa and this would be our first attempt at tomatoes. I am thinking the flu, but I don't know. For the first time, I am not really stressed about it just keeping my eye on it :)

KWalker

I am also having loose stools at the moment :( Somehow I managed to catch another cold and I'm hopong its because of that and not the potatoes. I'll have to keep an eye on it

KWalker

The loose stools doesn't really bother me to be honest. It just seems to irritate my abscess as well. That's the part I could live without lol

KWalker

That's okay! I hope things return back to normal for you soon!

I found this little article about dark chocolate that talks about how Elaine's original research about chocolate is outdated and now the benefits outweigh the risks.

http://thescd.wordpress.com/tag/chocolate/

With that being said, I bought some 72% unsweetened dark chocolate. For 3 small squares it's actually 180 calories and I actually like the taste. I'm going to keep looking for higher percentages but I've read from multiple sources that 70% + is good.

KWalker

It's completely up to you but I think it's healthy enough. Like I said, I'm going to try it and experiment to see how it goes

The loose stools doesn't really bother me to be honest. It just seems to irritate my abscess as well. That's the part I could live without lol
OUCH. Having gone through a constipated stage once I much prefer the Big D. But then I don't have an abscess. :ack:

Hi all, day 12 on GAPS. I didn't really do intro very well. Was only able to do that for 3 days. I wasn't fully prepared for it and the yogurt made me sick. So I'm just doing full GAPS now, but no diary except ghee.

I've bought a juicer on ebay and can't wait for that to come:dance:, it'll open up so many possibilities for me food wise and really help me 'eat' my veggies. It's a Champion juicer and it can make frozen fruit sorbets and nut butters too.

My son loves this chicken sausage for breakfast.

1 lb ground chicken
2 eggs
1 Tbspn honey
1 apple, peeled and finely chopped/grated
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup almond flour

Mix all the ingredients, form patties, and fry up. They freeze grate and microwave in about 1 minute.

I'm lactose intolerant and so the only dairy I'm having now is ghee. The process for introducing dairy in GAPS is VERY slow, takes several months before they have you trying any cheese and the first cheese is cheddar. This confuses me because I always did alright with blue cheese and swiss and only a little bit of cheddar occasionally.

I don't know why it wouldn't be okay for me to have swiss and blue cheese now. Is there anyone else here doing GAPS. What do you think about this?

Jer

I've been eating Paleo for about 3 weeks now and have made some great dinners, that even the wife (big time carb lover) even likes. They've all been pretty easy, but then again, I like to cook. lol When I get a little more time later in the week I'll post up the ones I've done and enjoyed.

I'm lactose intolerant and so the only dairy I'm having now is ghee. The process for introducing dairy in GAPS is VERY slow, takes several months before they have you trying any cheese and the first cheese is cheddar. This confuses me because I always did alright with blue cheese and swiss and only a little bit of cheddar occasionally.

I don't know why it wouldn't be okay for me to have swiss and blue cheese now. Is there anyone else here doing GAPS. What do you think about this?
True hard and aged cheeses have no lactose. E produces zero lactase and he does fine on aged hard cheddar. We didn't try it at first though, we waited quite a while.

Rough morning. E had a sugar free carbonated soda yesterday and I think it might be the culprit. He has only had soda one other time and it was in the beginning of the diet and he had a bad reaction. He tried it for the second time yesterday afternoon. He is having a "wipe you out" bout with D this morning.

I could suspect the cocoa powder but I won't unless he doesn't recover from this quickly. I think he doesn't do well with either saccharin or the carbonation?

I hate it because he has been doing so awesome. Hopefully it won't last long.

I have no idea about Boy George.

I managed to get symptom free with the SCD and reintroduce some foods successfully, but now I'm flaring again so I need to go back to the stricter version of SCD for now. I'm not feeling too motivated, but I know I need to do it! I'm also allergic to milk, beef, pork, and hazelnuts, so my diet is even more restricted.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if Boy George has an IBD. Thought it interesting about his diet changing being similar to ours though. It does seem more and more celebrities are trying these grain free diets to improve their health. Saw Kobe Bryan looked to be eating this way now. I play tennis and enjoy watching pro matches. Seems anymore I can't watch a match with the number one player Novak Djokovic, with out the commentators mentioning at some point his wheat free, grain free diet.

I hadn't listend to Culture Club or Boy George music in a long time. But found myself on my walks over the weekend listening to his music.

Jer

Apple Glazed Turkey Breast (can use chicken too)

Here's what you'll need:

4 turkey breast cutlets, 4-6 oz each
1/2 cup apple juice (or the juice of 1 medium/large apple)
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Tbs fresh tarragon, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs coconut oil

1.Combine the apple juice, chicken stock, garlic, tarragon and ginger together in a small bowl. Set aside.
2.Season both sides of turkey cutlets with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional).
3.Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add coconut oil.
4.Sear each cutlet 1-2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place on plate and set aside.
5.Reduce heat to medium and add apple juice mixture to pan.
6.As the sauce comes to a boil add the turkey cutlets back to the pan. Simmer until sauce reduces and turkey is fully cooked

Got the recipie from Paleoplan. They actually have a lot of good ones.