Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ostomy because of Fistulas?

02-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Ostomy because of Fistulas?

Hoping to hear from people who decided to get either a permanent or temporary ostomy because of their fistulas.

My bowel disease is fairly well controlled at the moment, but my perianal disease is not, and nothing seems to really help. Cipro and Flagyl keep things from being totally miserable, but still having problems, and certainly nothing is healing. It has been over a year (this time around). Waiting on an MRI to see exactly where they are going.

If you did get an ostomy to allow your fistulas to heal - did it help? If you went the permanent route - did it solve your problems. I wouldn't want to do it and still be plagued with the same issues.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 4 weeks, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone, Imuran
02-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi lgpcarter,

I hope you find answers, I chose to refuse the temporary ostomy for similar issues and I may have been wrong. I wish I knew the answer myself.

Regards,

Chris
02-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Thanks Chris. Think I have a new one that just opened and pretty discouraged. Also tired of taking Cipro and Flagyl

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ostomy because of Fistulas?