• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"fermented brown rice protein" SCD

Hi, I am new to the SCD diet. I have been trying to figure out if "fermented brown rice protein" could possibly be legal. I am a vegetarian, lactose intolerant, can't handle legumes right now, had to cut back on the nuts, I can tolerate eggs to an extent....this is why I am hoping that the above product could be legal, would like more protein options. Any help is appreciated.

Hey holly,
Are you following the way you're supposed to start the diet? She outlines in the book in the first few weeks what you should be eating only. In order to get the full perks of the diet you should follow it to the letter. Have you tried eating any baked white fish? It's very mild on the stomach and might do the trick if you're looking for protein.

Have you tried eating any baked white fish? It's very mild on the stomach and might do the trick if you're looking for protein.
Fish is not a vegetarian food.

As a veg who is also lactose intolerant and can't handle beans in a flare, I feel you. It's tough. I followed SCD when I was first diagnosed and looked to eggs and almond butter (although actual almonds were a problem for me.)

Eventually I added back in some fermented rice protein and other protein sources slowly and it has allowed me to see what does and doesn't work for me. (I added tahini, black beans, a little goat cheese, garbanzos, I also make my own yogurt, which I use for literally everything)

Good luck!

Thank you. What I am trying to do right now is to figure out what to eat that is legal that I like, and how am I going to live like this.

This at least allows me some of the benefits. My liver functions poorly from being toxic from dysbiosis for so long, so actually need the slowest die off ever recorded to still function. It could be ideal for me to start this way, as I am getting die off from removeing all the illegal carbs alone.

I would love to do the first part of the diet, but what the heck do I eat? My book the vicious cycle is missing and I have ordered a new one, so don't have the directions. It is my understanding that the first part of the diet has no carbs at all....is this correct? This is a problem with all my allergies, because I am down to eggs (which give me loose stools and kinda gross me out). My only thought is to endure a water fast for 3 days (never have done this) as an alternative. Then go on phase one, where there is plenty for me to eat. You can see why I am so interested in fermented brown rice protein. The whey protein....I have no idea if I will do good on it, but isn't it a non-legal food?

If you have diarrhea and/or cramping the following basic diet should be followed for about five days. In less severe cases 1-2 days may suffice.

Dry cottage cheese
Homemade yogurt
Eggs
Homemade apple or grape juice
Homemade chicken soup ***IMPORTANT
Beef
Fish
Coconut oil

After this period fruits (try bananas first) and cooked vegetables may be slowly introduced. Take note of any addition that bothers you and remove it.

I paraphrased a bit from the book. Hopefully this can get you started until your new copy arrives.

Also if you are lactose intolerant you might try out goat yogurt. It's not bad as far as taste, but also NOT technically SCD compliant. It does give a nice boost in carories, especially protein, and gut flora.

Hmmm, this part of the diet is not really going to work for me. The thing about the vicious cycle is that she was not kidding.....it continues.

If I only ate what doesn't give me any problems or opposed to (meat) on the above list, I would be left with juice and coconut oil....a pretty darn short list.

Not sure what to do with this knowledge but going to keep being legal and see where that gets me.

Thanks for helping.

The SCD diet is not for vegetarians. You cannot expect to have the desired results while eliminating one of the biggest categories of legal foods.

Brown rice protein is never going to be SCD legal,
That doesn't mean that it is necessarily bad for you, just that is is not 'legal'.

From SCD Wisdom.......
Question: I have a urgent question for you vegetarians... how do you manage to stay vegetarian on the SCD diet and still get enough protein?
Elaine writes: In the book, I say to vegetarians: do not go on the diet unless you will eat one egg per day or more and some cheese. You can get enough complete protein if you eat these foods. But if you do not, you will have a hard time and it is not healthful with IBD. Please reread the book.

BUT, many have problems with eggs and dairy (probably due to partially digested protein getting through the 'leaky gut' and causing an immune reaction - which should improve as permeability is reduced))

I have to ask if your a vegetarian for ethical or health reasons?
If it's for health reasons then maybe try some meat as you may be healthier for it?
If it is for ethical reasons then maybe a small amount of meat from ethically raised animals on a regular basis?

Try this podcast and see if it is much of use to you,
I thought it was pretty good
Vegetarians: Tips for Improving Gut Health (With or Without Meat)
http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/08/vegetarians-tips-for-improving-gut-health/

I would love to do the first part of the diet, but what the heck do I eat? My book the vicious cycle is missing and I have ordered a new one, so don't have the directions. It is my understanding that the first part of the diet has no carbs at all....is this correct? This is a problem with all my allergies, because I am down to eggs (which give me loose stools and kinda gross me out). My only thought is to endure a water fast for 3 days (never have done this) as an alternative. Then go on phase one, where there is plenty for me to eat. You can see why I am so interested in fermented brown rice protein. The whey protein....I have no idea if I will do good on it, but isn't it a non-legal food?
Definitely not “no carbs at all”
-all complex-carb rich foods are eliminated so no starchy foods, but all veggies have carbs, they are just not rich in them.
that said, the intro dirt is meat broths and carrots boiled for 4 hours (bleargh....)
these two links are about the intro diet.....

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html
http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html

Last edited:
Brown rice protein is never going to be SCD legal,
That doesn't mean that it is necessarily bad for you, just that is is not 'legal'.

From SCD Wisdom.......
Question: I have a urgent question for you vegetarians... how do you manage to stay vegetarian on the SCD diet and still get enough protein?
Elaine writes: In the book, I say to vegetarians: do not go on the diet unless you will eat one egg per day or more and some cheese. You can get enough complete protein if you eat these foods. But if you do not, you will have a hard time and it is not healthful with IBD. Please reread the book.

BUT, many have problems with eggs and dairy (probably due to partially digested protein getting through the 'leaky gut' and causing an immune reaction - which should improve as permeability is reduced))

I have to ask if your a vegetarian for ethical or health reasons?
If it's for health reasons then maybe try some meat as you may be healthier for it?
If it is for ethical reasons then maybe a small amount of meat from ethically raised animals on a regular basis?

Try this podcast and see if it is much of use to you,
I thought it was pretty good
Vegetarians: Tips for Improving Gut Health (With or Without Meat)
http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/08/vegetarians-tips-for-improving-gut-health/

Definitely not “no carbs at all”
-all complex-carb rich foods are eliminated so no starchy foods, but all veggies have carbs, they are just not rich in them.
that said, the intro dirt is meat broths and carrots boiled for 4 hours (bleargh....)
these two links are about the intro diet.....

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html
http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html
You are thinking of brasco's intro diet? SCD is not just broth at first.

Thanks for all this. I was actually born a vegetarian, never would eat meat without crying. Then when I got older, I got obsessed with the animals and not wanting to eat them. I take a lot of flack for being a sickly vegitarian...it is embarrassing. I don't really blame my early intestinal troubles on the lack of meat but to the fact that my mother switched from breast milk and started feeding me cooked malto-meal. She mixed this with water and shook it up in my bottle when I was just several months old. She is appauled at this now.

I am eating eggs right now, I don't want to get more malnurished. Of course they are local farm eggs, raised with kindness....I check these things out. I am going to attempt the home made goat milk yogurt (delicous), once I can find the right goat people.

I will read those links. I do understand the concept of the SCD, and makes more sense than anything for me, but like I am hearing here, not designed for vegetarians that have been forced into a mostly vegan diet by food allergies.

The last 10 years I found a way to be half-way stable, and function OK. I accepted my moderate sicklyness. In the end this did not work out because I got extreamly Vitamin D malnurished and really messed myself up, now I have to climb out of a fairly deep hole.

You are thinking of brasco's intro diet? SCD is not just broth at first.
Yeah, sorry, GAPS intro is 2-3 days of broth before the actual soup with meat in it
SCD starts with the soup

Holly300 -
Fermented foods are usually considered good so maybe a quality fermented rice protein is worth a look?
Kefir has more bacteria than yougurt and is easier to make (room temperature)
Even if SCD isn't for you , you can still apply much of the wisdom from Paleo/SCD/WAP......
no processed food, limit sugar, no gluten, less grain, good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, butter)
-maybe just eat the yolks and see if that is an improvement?
good luck

Hi, this diet is working for me. Basically in 6 days, my digestion is improved, the inflammatory pain I was experiencing has reduced about 80%, my energy is much better, and a shocker my temperature has raised. I started feeling very hot and started checking my temp and it is rising and topped off at 97.5 yesterday which is an all time high (non fever) since I started taking my temp about 8 years ago. Just 2 weeks ago my high was 96.6, so I am impressed. I would encourage vegetarians to try this diet, even if they can only follow the legal foods. I have never followed any diet that gave me this much gain in so little time.

Holly I am glad to hear you are improving! You may be shocked at how healthy you will feel after a month more.