• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira experiences and how is it delivered

I'm going to be starting humira in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with it, good or bad. I recently was ok remicade infusions, but I had an allergic reaction to it.

I'm also wondering how it's administered. Is it in a pre-filled pen (like an epi pen) or is a syringe. Also where on the body does it have to be injected? If you can't tell, I'm a little nervous, but also excited to see if it's going to work! I've been "flaring" for the better part of three years. Any responses wI'll be greatly appreciated

I'm going to be starting humira in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with it, good or bad. I recently was ok remicade infusions, but I had an allergic reaction to it.

I'm also wondering how it's administered. Is it in a pre-filled pen (like an epi pen) or is a syringe. Also where on the body does it have to be injected? If you can't tell, I'm a little nervous, but also excited to see if it's going to work! I've been "flaring" for the better part of three years. Any responses wI'll be greatly appreciated

Hope this helps:

I have been o humira injections around 5 months. I get the pens. They also come in the syringe. The pen is easy for me. Just pull off 2 caps, push and hold the button for 10 seconds. I cant lie to you, it burns for about a minute after the injection. I pull mine out of the fridge in the morning and take it about 10 at night. You can leave a shot out of the fridge for up to 14 days. Although I wouldn't want to try it. The normal injection spots are around the belly button and the thighs. I have heard of some people injecting in the back side of the arm. I prefer the thigh because I dont think I could handle the pain in my belly. Keep in mind, everyone is different. Im going back to my GI to increase my dose or change the meds. It has only give me minimum benefit for the risk. The crohn's disease is spreading through my body and the humira is supposed to stop it at no avail. My only side effects have been, 10 minutes after the injection, I better be laying down of I will fall flat on my face. It knocks me out. The next day I suffer with a severe migraine. Hope it works for you.

Hope this helps:

I have been o humira injections around 5 months. I get the pens. They also come in the syringe. The pen is easy for me. Just pull off 2 caps, push and hold the button for 10 seconds. I cant lie to you, it burns for about a minute after the injection. I pull mine out of the fridge in the morning and take it about 10 at night. You can leave a shot out of the fridge for up to 14 days. Although I wouldn't want to try it. The normal injection spots are around the belly button and the thighs. I have heard of some people injecting in the back side of the arm. I prefer the thigh because I dont think I could handle the pain in my belly. Keep in mind, everyone is different. Im going back to my GI to increase my dose or change the meds. It has only give me minimum benefit for the risk. The crohn's disease is spreading through my body and the humira is supposed to stop it at no avail. My only side effects have been, 10 minutes after the injection, I better be laying down of I will fall flat on my face. It knocks me out. The next day I suffer with a severe migraine. Hope it works for you.

Oh my gosh! This is very helpful thank you. If nothing else, I have a better idea of what to expect. I hope I get the pens too, I'm a baby. Thanks for including the part about it making you sleep, I have a 3 year old, so I'll have to make sure someone is here. Do you get sleepy everytime? And how often do you take it? Is the migraine everytime also? I hate migraines I get enough as at is, luckily I get imitrex, but it doesn't always work. Thank you for any response you can give, and again for the first one, I truly appreciate being aware of what could happen

Yes I get sleepy every time. But, my GI told me in 10 years he has never had it do that to someone. Maybe make someone tired feeling, but not knock someone out like a bad night of drinking. Out of about 10 injections, only 2 times I didn't get a migraine. There is a humira support group on this sight where you can get more information/experience from other people. I have read some people get injection sight reaction, I never do. Some people get the, "CROHN'S FLU", where they feel crappy for a few days like being sick.

I dont know if they told you that there is a 2 loader doses? Your first kit will have 6 pens/syringes, depending on what your GI orders. You will take 4 injections the first time. Two weeks later you will take 2 more. Then the normal maintenance dose of 1 every 2 weeks. Hope that helps. And its no problem, I will tell you what I can.

DH was on Humira for 8 years. He began taking it when it was still "off-label" for Crohn's sufferers. He has two abdominal fistulas and it did keep the output down. He used the syringes, tried the pens one time because pharmacy made a mistake and ordered them instead of syringes. The first pen malfunctioned and we had to call manufacturer and get a replacement. DH never wanted to try them after that. He did often remark that sometimes the injections smarted. He always injected the med into his thigh. He also took Remicade years ago when it first became available. They didn't know as much then as they do now about the dosing. We didn't see any improvement on it so it was discontinued. Then GI tried it again later and DH has a severe reaction so no more Remicade. In March we were told Humira was no longer working that that it looses it's effectiveness at a rate of 20% per year, so if true, it hadn't been helping DH for a long time. He just finished the loading doses of Cimzia last month and takes his first maintenace dose later this month. Good luck with your Humira, I hope it workds wonders for you!

I use the pre-filled epi pens and find them really easy. I always inject in the top of my thigh - tried my stomach but found it more painful. For me the injections do sting a little but nothing terrible. And I've never had any side effects, no tiredness or anything :)