• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

HELP stoma sizing... skin irritation

I need some help guys.... I had some leaks in the beginning so I am pretty sure this is what caused it??
How I got this way?... do you guys cut yours to size? How close to you cut your bags I am afraid I will cut them to tight so I am afraid I am leaking because I am not tight enough?? Not sure though?

What did you do for skin rawness I have tried antibacterial cream and bandaging it with tagaderm under the bag so it stays somewhat dry ( my hopes anyway but it still BURNS like hell :(
I have had a terrible nurse situation so I am trying to get a stoma nurse ASAP but right now I am on my own HELP....

PsychoJane

hello!
I cut my flange quite adjusted the less space, the less leakage. When I have important skin issue to the point the skin gets "wet" or moist from being too irritated I use something called duoderm from Convatec. It is expensive but when I come to a point of no return from the irritation, that is what I use. It allows the skin to heal as it absorbs the moisture and prevent the leakage to touch the site for a certain time. It is not a conventional method but I find it works out well.
Do you have stomahesive powder/karaya powder, something like that?
These powders also helps a lot when the skin is raw. It will burn a bit when you apply it but it fades out quickly.
Do you use the paste? And have you ever tried the "seals"?
Salts make the "dermacol", that you put underneath the flange and it's pretty much like a "condom" for your ostomy kinda, I don't know how to word it. It's like a turtle neck around the stoma and prevent the leakage.

I hope this can help you. Feel free to ask more infos if needed!

Nyx

I cut my own holes in my flanges. If you look in your supplies you should have a stoma sizing chart (a piece of paper with holes in it)...just keep comparing the holes to your stoma and figure out which one is the best fit. It should be snug around the base of your stoma. Don't worry about it being too tight (unless you can't get the flange over your stoma, then it might be too tight). You shouldn't be able to see any skin around your stoma. Also use the Eakin or Salts rings...I've also used the Coloplast paste strips which work well too. You can always use paste if that's all you have too (I found it really messy, but it's cheaper than the rings or the strips).

All of the major companies have powders you can use for the irritation on your skin. You can also try a skin barrier and see if that helps.

Terriernut

You REALLY need it to be quite snug around your stoma. But as I've said before, you really should get some barrier rings. Have you rung any suppliers for samples yet? Suppliers also carry stoma powder, which will help with your irritated skin.

Did you get any cavillon spray, that is a big help as well.

Putting tegaderm tape underneath will keep you from getting a good seal. The tegaderm is for outside use only.

Take showers or sitz baths without the bag on. Dont use any thing but normal clear water. For some reason, this really heals the skin.

PM me and I'll see if I get can help further if you can send pictures.

When I get irriated skin I use a thin layer of Caladryl, sooths the skin. I let it dry, I use a hair dryer to help it dry faster. Then I prefer to use cavilion spray, but any skin barrier spray should do. I prefer the spray over the wipes because the wipes tend to wipe away the Caladryl. Then I throw the wafer on my skin.
The Caladryl always stop my skin from oozing too.
Also, I cut my hole to size and stoma paste around the hole so it will "turtle neck" the stoma.

I had the same problem and realised i was cutting the hole to big to fit around my stoma. the bags i get always come with a measuring card so that you can place this around your stoma to get a good idea of how many mm you need to cut. leaving 1 or 2 mm to make sure its not too tight. also as people have suggested the barrier rings and stomahesive powder help massive amounts too. At first i had neither of those and constantly had leaks and sore red skin, now my skin is fine.

the dermacol thing which jane has suggested also looks very good, not used it myself but having looked at the website it looks great and i think im gonna give that a try!

When I get irriated skin I use a thin layer of Caladryl, sooths the skin. I let it dry, I use a hair dryer to help it dry faster. Then I prefer to use cavilion spray, but any skin barrier spray should do. I prefer the spray over the wipes because the wipes tend to wipe away the Caladryl. Then I throw the wafer on my skin.
The Caladryl always stop my skin from oozing too.
Also, I cut my hole to size and stoma paste around the hole so it will "turtle neck" the stoma.
THANKS
I am afraid to paste around the stoma because I can still see the stitches and afraid it will pull them out and I will start going to the bathroom through there??
I would always have leaks then ewww..... :(
I can see stitches all around my stoma now not sure why they have not went away yet?

Terriernut

Lizz, After a few weeks those stitches should have disolved. If they havent you will have to have them removed. Ouch. I had about 5 if I recall that didnt disolve as they should've and a nurse had to remove them.

No, you wont 'leak' through them. But if is just causing more irritation and making things more difficult until they are removed. And there isnt an issue using paste (old fashioned way) or a seal on top of them. No issue whatsoever, in fact it can only help your skin to have that barrier to protect them and your skin.

Lizz, After a few weeks those stitches should have disolved. If they havent you will have to have them removed. Ouch. I had about 5 if I recall that didnt disolve as they should've and a nurse had to remove them.

No, you wont 'leak' through them. But if is just causing more irritation and making things more difficult until they are removed. And there isnt an issue using paste (old fashioned way) or a seal on top of them. No issue whatsoever, in fact it can only help your skin to have that barrier to protect them and your skin.
hmmm.... weird the stoma nurse saw them and didnt say anything grrr.... I have a bunch showing and my surgery was the 17th of January .....I will ask my new nurse I am calling my surgeon in the morning and getting a referral for a REAL company this one is a joke.

Terriernut

She may think they will disolve on their own. I know mine didnt and I had the worst time with them, as my stoma shrunk (as they do!) it really started to pull on my skin, and damn that hurt! MOST of mine did disolve, just a few didnt. If you keep an eye on them? It is very possible that by next week you will only have a couple left, or none at all. But DO keep an eye on them.
:hug:

She may think they will disolve on their own. I know mine didnt and I had the worst time with them, as my stoma shrunk (as they do!) it really started to pull on my skin, and damn that hurt! MOST of mine did disolve, just a few didnt. If you keep an eye on them? It is very possible that by next week you will only have a couple left, or none at all. But DO keep an eye on them.
:hug:
ok thanks sweetie...

Hi I use the salts mouldable seals and they are amazing - cant imagine not using them now. It doesn't matter if the flange isn't cut perfectly as these mould around the stoma and fill any gaps. I hardly get any leaks now and only get sore skin from eczema (which can't be helped).