• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5 Unproven Crohn's Treatments to Avoid

nogutsnoglory

I think it's a great article but some of the unproven ones do show mild improvement in symptoms for some but certainly not enough to warrant it as a treatment.

The hell, lemon juice and cayenne? This is a thing? It literally exists? I wish I went the rest of my life without knowing this. God people drink the weirdest concoctions.

I came across this article this morning. Thought I would share.
All I needed to do was hover my mouse over the word "drugs" on that web site's menu bar to know I should ignore everything on that site. It said "Cholesterol Drugs' Benefits Far Outweigh Side Effects". So I conclude that if that's their lead headline, they're pushing pharma.

They're saying the SCD might make it hard to get all of the nutrients? What a crock! How did humanity make it through the hunter-gatherer span without bread?

Absolutely awful article (awful writer).

To list probiotics as safe but ineffective is just mind numbing.

SCD unproven and not helpful!? May not be my chosen diet but how stunningly dishonest or uninformed can a 'journalist' be?

Chinese herbs can't be an entire category to avoid. Ginger, anyone? Not to mention just the disgusting, blatant racism in demeaning an entire cultures medical research. China has never come up with anything that helps digestive disorders? Ever? Kinda think someone like Chris Kresser may disagree.

Warning Crohn's patients away from healthy fats and turmeric, even glutamine!?

Of course I don't see anywhere to comment or even to email the writer. Funny how that works.

There are no high quality studies on SCD's effect on Crohn's Disease, the statement they make on SCD is entirely correct. I'm sorry but Amazon reviews and word of mouth are proof the same way I'm Fidel Castro.

nogutsnoglory

The hell, lemon juice and cayenne? This is a thing? It literally exists? I wish I went the rest of my life without knowing this. God people drink the weirdest concoctions.
Interestingly enough I did this year's ago and felt better but I chalk it up to a liquid diet detox and any liquid diet is shown to help the inflammation calm down. The problem is as soon as solids are introduced its usually inflamed again.

There are no high quality studies on SCD's effect on Crohn's Disease, the statement they make on SCD is entirely correct. I'm sorry but Amazon reviews and word of mouth are proof the same way I'm Fidel Castro.
That doesn't mean it should be avoided. There is nothing harmful about the SCD diet and for many it has helped, myself included. Not that it is a cure or will work forever or in place of mainstream therapy but is something anyone with Crohn's can try and should not be "avoided"
BTW who is going to fund an SCD study anyway.
Fasting can help as well by the way but not as a long term thing obviously.

rygon

The thing about studies is that they use the scientific approach which leads to correct information, which is not swayed by human assumptions or outside influences.

For instance, I have a cold so I take lemon tea. I feel better.
Now is it the lemon tea that has helped me get better, or is it having a placebo effect upon me.

Also I nomally take lemon tea when I feel my worst. Your body has an amazing ability of getting better on its own, so naturally you would expect to feel better even if you did not take anything. Is it my body making me feel better or the lemon tea?

What I'm trying to say is just because I took something and I feel better it does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that it is actually helps me.

I'm well aware of that. Has nothing to do with what the article or I said.

The statement they make is entirely false. I honestly don't care enough to explain it anymore. It's explained a million and 1 places on this forum, elsewhere on the Internet and in numerous books still in print.

rygon

I agree with pretty much all of what was written, but for an article it is very shoddy as it does not reference anything. Personally there's no difference between this article and one on miracle cures, as eveything is just opinion without the proper studies shown

In my opinion unknown diets and diets people recommend , don't work very well for crohn's disease. There is no cure for the bloody stuff even some or most medications don't work. so, it seems to reason that certain spices, herbs, and other wierd supplements will not work either. Where do people come up with this stuff. I have had crohn's since i was 20 and i was in remission for 20 years until lately . It has reared it's ugly head again and i am on medication and was eating almost anything i wanted without any flares. and i was on no special diet i will tell you that. But, Two things to avoid is Alcohol and smoking that are heart and crohn's breakers. I don't believe it taboo diets and supplements. Just keep a diet journal of what you can or can't eat and stay with your meds. And hopefully everything will be fine.

That doesn't mean it should be avoided. There is nothing harmful about the SCD diet and for many it has helped, myself included. Not that it is a cure or will work forever or in place of mainstream therapy but is something anyone with Crohn's can try and should not be "avoided"
BTW who is going to fund an SCD study anyway.
Fasting can help as well by the way but not as a long term thing obviously.
The article said it's hard to get adequate nutrition on the diet - which could be true. Some people have a better understanding of nutrition than others. And some people can afford to spend more on food than others, some people are better cooks than others. Just because you can go on the SCD without compromising on nutrition, doesn't mean that everyone will be able to.

When I tried restrictive and alternative diets as a teenager, it did come with a cost - I couldn't understand why I was just getting sicker, and with so many messages telling me that I should be able to improve my health, I ended up feeling like a failure, and the constant disappointment was hard to deal with. Being told that so many foods were bad contributed to a phobia of eating (I've since found that the foods I'd been avoiding were actually just fine for me), And when following various diets, a lot of the foods I was eating actually made my symptoms a lot worse, as my system can not handle fibre well at all. So some people may find themselves getting sicker on the SCD, depending on whether they can tolerate the foods it allows or not.

But I also basically agree with this:

I agree with pretty much all of what was written, but for an article it is very shoddy as it does not reference anything. Personally there's no difference between this article and one on miracle cures, as eveything is just opinion without the proper studies shown