• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone Help

Hi, I'm brand new here, had Crohn's for 6 years, mostly been on ASA and doing pretty good. Had a major flare about a month ago, went on 1000 mg Cyrpro for 7 days, felt better for a few days, then started flaring again. Started 30 mg of Prednisone yesterday - never taken it before. I think I am starting to feel better already - is this even possible? Supposed to stay on for 5 days then stop - does this sound right? From what I've read, tapering off is recommended. Any advice?

Hi, I'm brand new here, had Crohn's for 6 years, mostly been on ASA and doing pretty good. Had a major flare about a month ago, went on 1000 mg Cyrpro for 7 days, felt better for a few days, then started flaring again. Started 30 mg of Prednisone yesterday - never taken it before. I think I am starting to feel better already - is this even possible? Supposed to stay on for 5 days then stop - does this sound right? From what I've read, tapering off is recommended. Any advice?
From my experience, Prednisone has helped inflammation really fast, which seems to be what your experiencing. You are right about tapering so you may want to ask your doctor about that so you don't immediately relapse just stopping it cold turkey.

Scipio

In some cases corticosteroids such as prednisone can indeed provide dramatic relief from inflammation in a very short time, which is why they were at first viewed as miracle drugs when they first came on the market back in 1950s. But back then they didn't know about all the side effects of high doses and long term use of these drugs.

Today they can still be a godsend for providing relief from some forms of suffering, but due to the side effects they are mostly used temporarily to get things under control until a more permanent solution to the inflammation can be found.

So, I have 30, 5 mg tablets, supposed to take 6 for 5 days, then quit but I'm thinking 6 for 3 days, then 4 for 2 days, then 2 for 2 days, thoughts?

I suggest you follow the doctors orders. It will foster a better relationship .
With such a short course it is ok to stop suddenly. Your doc probably wants you to avoid long term dependency.
Worth a try. IF it doesn't work you will know right away and can go back on.
Odds are it won't work but you never know.