• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fleshy lumps around stoma

This is all new to me, so I'm having a hard time working out what's normal and what's not. Around the edge of my stoma, there are small protruding lumps, probably a few millimetres across - like warts. They're red like the stoma rather than part of the normal skin around it. They feel sore, but the whole area is still feeling sore.

I have a check-up with my stoma nurse next week, but would be interested to know if this is normal or not.

This is all new to me, so I'm having a hard time working out what's normal and what's not. Around the edge of my stoma, there are small protruding lumps, probably a few millimetres across - like warts. They're red like the stoma rather than part of the normal skin around it. They feel sore, but the whole area is still feeling sore.

I have a check-up with my stoma nurse next week, but would be interested to know if this is normal or not.
Do you have a photo of these bumps?

I had irritation after my stoma was made, and I suspect that it happened as stool seeped onto my skin between wafer changes when it shrunk in size. It looked like canker sores though, not red bumps.

nogutsnoglory

It could be stool eating away at your skin or an allergy/irritation to the wafer. The latter is more likely based on what you are describing. A picture would be helpful.

Do you use stoma powder? I'd recommend ringing your ostomy nurse but also putting stoma powder, let the remainder fall off and then seal the powder with a barrier wipe.

Nyx

Could they be spots where your stitches were? I can't remember what the skin around my stoma looked like, but that seems like it could be a possible reason.

If I've been reading your progress correctly, you haven't suffered with any leaks, (knock on wood!) and these bumps would feel a whole lot worse than "a little sore" if it were do to output getting on the skin. Of course, if they feel a different kind of sore than the other areas, trying that powder/barrier wipe combination might bring you some comfort.

We came home from the hospital with a stoma bridge, which is where they sew a rod through the stoma to hold it in place. Once the stitches were removed, there were two red fleshy looking lumps left behind. They were a little sore at first, but we had trouble fitting the flange due to the bridge, so the soreness was due to some leaking. We are 8 weeks out now, the little bumps have shrunken some, but they cause no other issues.

I hope the stoma nurse can put your mind to rest when you visit her.

PsychoJane

It's possible it has something to do with the stiches. The other thing I'm thinking about is granulomas which can appear at the mucocutaneous junction from excessive friction. If ever it is what you have, the "treatment" is to silver nitrate on them and it is not an uncommon manifestation. My surgeon asked me every time so I assume it's not rare even though I did not get any.

I think I'd feel weird photographing it. :redface:

I've been using barrier wipes, but haven't tried powder yet, so that's something I can try. I've had no leaks. Since the whole area feels a bit sore, I can't distinguish whether the lumps are actually sore or not, but if they are it's definitely fairly mild.

The lumps are all around the circumference of the stoma - would this be where the stitches were? I have an incision in my belly button, and the stitches are still in place there - they're the kind that gradually work their way up through the skin to the point where you can pull them out, though they're still in place at the moment. I can't see any stitches of this kind round the stoma.

My instinct is that they're probably harmless due to the lack of any other symptoms, but it's only a few days 'til I see the stoma nurse so I'll know soon.

I'm seeing my stoma nurse next week - only a few days away now. I changed the bag this morning and gave it a good clean. The skin's a little irritated so I've been checking out powders and am going to ask the nurse what's best. The lumps were really sore when I was cleaning them (I'm using the hygienic wipes the ostomy product suppliers sent me, so I don't think I'm using anything I shouldn't), they're not sore at any other time, only when I was wiping them.

I just did a quick google and looked at some images and descriptions. Besides the fact that google images turned up some really extreme pictures that showed far more granulomas than I have lumps around my stoma, I actually think what I have does look a lot like granulomas. Thanks!

annawato

Staff member
I have a couple of fleshy lumps on one side of my stoma. They bleed a lot when bumped. I assumed it was perhaps just the bag rubbing on them or too much pressure from the convex bag or the belt I wear. Now I'm going to look at the granulomas picture. Wish me well.......:)

annawato

Staff member
yep, looks like I have them as well, though not as ugly as some of the pictures. How are yours going unxmas? Have you had any treatment for them?

Normally the cauterize them with silver nitrate, it is quick, painless (well may sting a little) procedure, and annawato, you are right they can be caused by friction!

I saw the stoma nurse today. She didn't think they're granulomas, and she said it's completely normal to have lumps like I have. So I guess they're just normal lumps. :)