• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vsl #3

Hi,

Has anyone here tried VSL #3 (450 billion lactic acid bacteria)? What was/is your dose? How long were you on it before you starting having an effect of it, and what was the effect you noticed, if any?

I'm on VSL since 11. June, but I find that I forget to take it as it is in powder form, and a bit more of a hassle than just a pill... (I know, lousy excuse! :p) Also, I'm not sure what effects I've had of it yet, and how fast I should expect to feel a difference!

It would also be interesting to know where your inflammation is located?

All replies would be most appreciated!

Lots of love,

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Sophia, I am on VSL,and like you I forget but if I do remember I just double up on it. You go by the amount of bms you have, and I take two a day, one in the morning and one at night. I take it with Cranberry juice or yogurt. Try to avoid anything acidic or you will distroy the bacteria. It is a good choice to be on that and pentasa. Avoid antibiotics and or use it after your use of them.

It is expensive, but it controls my diahreah, and bloat. Takes about 3 weeks to get the full effects. I forget too, bad.... My location is right lower quadrant but also lately the left side a bit too, been told it is IBS spasms.

Mine runs $210.00 dollars a month. But the more you order the shipping is less. Must always be kept in the refridgerator! Good luck with it.

Some people in the states can get it covered by insurance in double dose pkg. Works for me. ;)

Hi,

I just tried mixing VSL with cranberry juice and it tasted quite good! But isn't cranberry juice too acidic too? I used the Ocean Spray light one...

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, I use generic , and I water it down quite a bit. Just enought to fill half a water bottle and drink it down or with yogurt mixed in. ;)

My consultant suggested I get some. He said I should start off with 2 sachets a day for the first month and then go down to 1 sachet each day. He said it would cost me approx £40 a month. Are some of you UK peeps getting it on prescription?

I have yet to look into it as that is not something I can really afford espeically as he didnt say it was a necessity that I take it...

My inflammation is in the termial ilieum, I also have severe IBS.

Realtormatt: I haven't tried the capsules, only the sachets with 450 billion bacteria. If the content is the same in one pill I would definitely like to take the pills instead. So much easier than the powder! :)

Pincushion: It is a prescription medicine in Norway, but you still have to pay for it, and it costs more than twice as much as in the UK! :S But it is definitely worth a try. I've read a lot about it, and it is apparently one of the most effective probiotics out there, and the bacteria supposedly survive the whole travel down to the intestines, unlike many other probiotics (for example those added to certain types of milk etc.).

I'm not sure if it has had any effect yet, though. I'm tons better, but I'm not sure if it is the diet or the probiotics or both! :D

I'v been on it since Nov 09 and it is deffinatly helping but not as much as I would like. When I first started using it, it took maby 4-5 weeks to start working and put me in almost full remission for about 4 weeks then slid back again but i'm still better than without it.