• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Perianal Fistula - Help Please

Hey,

I had a perinanal abscess that was surgically drained in August. However, it developed into a perinanal fistula after a month or so. I have been managing the drainage and pain for a while now and I plan to get my surgery done in January. However, for the past few days, I feel like the external wound, the wound through which my fistula was draining has been closing up.

Should I be concerned? Is there a possibility that with the external wound closing up there might be an incidence of an abscess again. How can I make sure the external wound remains open? Would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Hey,

I had a perinanal abscess that was surgically drained in August. However, it developed into a perinanal fistula after a month or so. I have been managing the drainage and pain for a while now and I plan to get my surgery done in January. However, for the past few days, I feel like the external wound, the wound through which my fistula was draining has been closing up.

Should I be concerned? Is there a possibility that with the external wound closing up there might be an incidence of an abscess again. How can I make sure the external wound remains open? Would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.
I have a fistula at the top of my abdominal incision. Drs are arguing what caused it. But that's not the point. I've had this for a year. It drains a tiny bit daily, but will close for a few days. It builds up pressure and bursts open again. I was told that fistulas usually close on their own. Yours maybe doing that. You will know in a few days of it closing if it's about to reopen. It will be very very tender and swollen. With the holidays here getting to the Dr will probably be difficult, I'd just watch it. If it does close and swell putting hot packs on it helps.

Do you have a sitz bath? It fits over your toilet. You could soak it with very hot water 3 times a day to help keep it draining. You don't want it to close. Or just use the regular bath tub. The sitz bath is just more convenient.