• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Marijuana Canibus Medicine Support Group

This is a support group for those with Crohns looking at alternative medicines for this group it is Marijuana/ Canibus related. I worked as a Drug and Alcohol counseling supervisor, and studied the chemical dependencies for over a decade. This group is for support on treatment not for selling or giving resources to purchase Marijuana/Canibus. I saw the potential in this treatment long ago but never connected it to Crohns until recently. <br><br>There is evidence from trials and testing that a person who has Crohn's has Fungus/Bacteria on their internal digestive lining that those without Chohns do not have. It is also shown in tests and trials that THC/CBD's help fight bacteria and fungus.  There have been thousands of success stories of those with Crohns and using Marijuana/ Canibus with long term success. This is not medical advice, nor is it suggested you stop your current treatment and try Marijuana. I am hoping others who have tried Marijuana for Crohns will post their successes and concerns and that others will seek information as well. I saw first hand the taboo of Marijuana in drug addiction. In my opinion most of what you see in Marijuana portrayed on TV and news is wrong. I found after years working in the Field. Marijuana was not a gateway drug, it was only abused by those with already existing addictive personalities. Before you try Marijuana. We are in my household starting some trials and testing, I will post the results time to time. But this is not advice or approved medical research. Where I live it is legals and we have a MM Card as well this will vary from state to state.:Flower:

Why I personally support its use:

Latest research published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis is effective in treating Crohn’s Disease, which is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBDs such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s affect over a million people in the United States today. Many IBD victims suffer from extreme pain, diarrhea and poor ability to digest food. Up to half of IBD cases are so severe that they ultimately require surgery to remove the affected bowel segment.

So where does cannabis come in?
Recent research done in the UK has shown that two of the compounds found in marijuana, CBD (cannabidiol) and THC, do interact with intestinal function, lending credence to a lot of anecdotal evidence that medical marijuana is an effective treatment for many inflammatory bowel diseases, including Crohn's.

British researchers found that cannabinoids derived from actual plants (as opposed to synthetics), encourage tighter bonds between the cells that form the barrier in the gut that prevents bacterial leakage. This information is new, though it's long been known that cannabis is an anti-inflammatory, which also helps treat the symptoms of Crohn's disease.
In addition to reducing inflammation and helping to regenerate bowel tissue, medical marijuana also helps ease the cramps associated with intestinal irritation and boosts the appetite. While the appetite stimulation qualities of cannabis are known to be vital for cancer and AIDS patients, they're equally important for patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's whose leaky guts prevent the absorption of essential nutrients.

There are many many such reports that are not known to the general public, please do your own research and speak with your trusted Doctor.

Is the above advice only relevant to eating it? I'm unsure how smoking it would have the same effect and would worry about the effect on the lungs too!

Is the above advice only relevant to eating it? I'm unsure how smoking it would have the same effect and would worry about the effect on the lungs too!

That is a excellent question, why most known trials had both smoking and consuming it, as part of their testing.
It is found that using a Vaporizer, not to be confused with Vapes. A herb Vaporizer only allows the THC/CBD to be inhaled as basically all the carcinogenics and the high heat are removed. The vaporizers are cool not hot . They also exhale and inhale vapor not smoke. They run around 150.00 or so
smoking is not the best choice as you mention and oils do work but are expensive to acquire. So I love your comment as I forgot to mention the application. :dusty:

That is a excellent question, why most known trials had both smoking and consuming it, as part of their testing.
It is found that using a Vaporizer, not to be confused with Vapes. A herb Vaporizer only allows the THC/CBD to be inhaled as basically all the carcinogenics and the high heat are removed. The vaporizers are cool not hot . They also exhale and inhale vapor not smoke. They run around 150.00 or so
smoking is not the best choice as you mention and oils do work but are expensive to acquire. So I love your comment as I forgot to mention the application. :dusty:

Ahhhhh ok that makes sense. I wouldn't even know where to start with it all. I can't see my GP approving either hahaha!

Ahhhhh ok that makes sense. I wouldn't even know where to start with it all. I can't see my GP approving either hahaha!
Here even in the legal states here there are hoops to go thru.
Why the use of Canibus has only been a few months, prior research was over a year before heading that way. Neither the GP or GA approve of it. Very hard to get doctor support regardless of the legalization. Whats funny is there are more long term trials on Canibus use then Humira or Remicade, and yet they ignore decades of bacterial research. Also they at once attack the drug as a recreational drug that messes with your head, ignoring the 1000's of meds out there that have huge psychological affects far worse then Canibus and with most oils used there is no " HIGH" . But they wont even look at it so decided to do our own trial and research.

Bufford

I got approved for medical cannabis last year. I've been using it since I was in highschool and now I am close to 60 and it hasn't hurt me one bit. Going the legal route has given me opportunity to try other forms of it instead of smoking it. I do find it helps, and I am only beginning to understand the differences between indica and sativa. Indica seems to help me more, it gives me a nice buzz and I tend to get a good sleep. CBD is something I am still grasping at, not sure how it works but its supposed to help with pain. Legalization cannot come soon enough, the law has destroyed far too many lives and has to stop, this drug is wonders.

We are pretty fortunate as we do not have to pay for Cannibus, something interesting we met with a Homeopathic Dr, that supported the use of the Cannabis and suggested trying Naltrexone. Its normally used to treat Opiate and alcohol addiction but they are finding in low doses around 3mg a day it helps the bacteria receptors associated with Crohn's without affecting the immune system like most all drugs for this illness do. Along with Cannibus which in tests and trials does show fights the fungus and bacteria found in Crohns patients exclusively, and helps to control the systems with minimal side affects. Naltrexone can be harmful in higher dosages above 300mg but at 3mg a day at night its a non-issues other then not taking when drinking or on pain killers there are no affects reported. We will be starting a 90day trial on this starting this evening.

For Crohn's disease, which is better, indica or sativa? And any specific kind of product that anyone used that particularly helped? Thanks for any info as I'm seriously considering trying this. I'm sick of switching meds every few months and being sick all the time. Life is awful if you can't eat, drink or socialize anymore.

Thc cannabis helps with eating pain relief and sleep.... cbd works wonders on colon. I have crohns for over 21 years and have couple resection on my colon. I started medical marijuana about 8 months ago. I just had my colonoscopy and doctor was shocked how clear my colon was. No polyps or fistula growth anywhere.

Even I had a hard time convincing my doctor that medical marijuana does work....

I'm feeling awesome and more healthy using marijuana.

To to answer that question. It's a matter of choice. Smoking into lungs and actually have a normal life is worth it... it's just my opinion...

I started medical marijuana about 8 months ago. I just had my colonoscopy and doctor was shocked how clear my colon was. No polyps or fistula growth anywhere.

Even I had a hard time convincing my doctor that medical marijuana does work....

I'm feeling awesome and more healthy using marijuana.

That is amazing! I must admit, I'm a little nervous about it. I know several people who use it recreationally and appear to be addicted. The problem here in the UK being its illegal, but many many people sell and use it on the streets. I believe you can be caught with a small amount for personal use, but any more than that you would be considered a dealer and likely prosecuted. I have a family member who abuses it and it does appear to have caused/worsened mental health issues. That's the bit that concerns me, although I know studies are conflicting on this issue, it's a chicken/egg scenario if ever there was one!

Saying that someone I know who has MS did tell me they found the CBD oil helpful. I work in the vaping industry and I've heard anecdotal stories from people who vape the e-liquids too. It's just the thought of taking the leap really :-/

I guess it's something I would definitely consider for bad days, but I haven't exhausted conventional medicine yet so I don't want to introduce any confusion there, especially as there is a very strong history of mental illnesses in my family.

More info on this would certainly be very welcome!

Spooky1

Well, it's do or die. Today I have my hands on my new CBD/THC oil. The Crohns has been so painful and even inflamed under the skin on the abdomen. Sick of the pain killers not working, sick of the loo visits, sick of surgeries and sick of living really.

I will try one drop at a time and only two per day to start. I'm so nervous about this as I did have steroid psychosis many years ago, but I have exhausted every med out there. It's been 43 years of Crohns and RA with some Iritis and not to mention the complete fatigue that goes with it. I want some energy to do something with my life. I'm so hopeful but hopeful i'm not carted off to the looney bin. What a worrier I am, lol.

I'm sure there once was another thread on medical marijuana on this site before. Quite a lengthy one. Mind, I never had the pluck to walk towards a dealer. I would probably have been kicked in the Crohns and robbed knowing my luck.

cmack

Staff member
Good luck, Di. We call it cannabis here, or marihuana flower... According to the government of the day. I've tried it and I just might again. 420, 247 lol ;^)

You can always give me a private message... I do care bud. I don't judge either.
XX big hugs

A family member of mine have been using cannabis and it has been really helpful for him. He has been battling depression and some other mental health issues that he has because of Chron's. He tried different types of cannabis throughout the years and he really liked CBD oils but recently he discovered edibles. I was surprised that he switched to edibles especially with Chron's but he still has been saying that he is feeling well and he like the chewing sensations that the gummies give him. He has been trying different brands because it feel like he is trying to figure out who has the best cbd gummies but it has been a fairly fun journey for him. I did notice that he has been more positive since he started taking CBD and I think that taking care of yourself not just physically but also mentally is very important. I feel like a lot of people forget about that part. I think that it is important to keep that in mind and always seek help when you are not feeling great not just mentally but also mentally.

Last edited:
With the part about cannabinoids, I see what you mean, but I'm not entirely convinced. However, I can share my experience. I am regularly consuming CBD oil twice a week, and many of my friends and relatives were saying that this is not healthy. I was starting to feel tired and had a regular headache when I was thinking about this. So I decided to make a medical examination of my body. I was completely shocked when I saw the results. My body was completely healthy, and even my lungs were in excellent condition. This is why I have trust issues online.

Last edited:
My sister has Crohn's disease for a long time. Sometimes it seems to recede, but several times a year she has relapses. As far as I know, any kind of smoking should be forbidden if you have Crohn's disease. Regarding cannabis - she uses oil infused with it since the doctor said it'd be good for her health. I also buy it cause I'm prone to anemia, for which cannabis is also recommended. Just in case, I'll leave the link to Health Canal. I use it in a number of ways, actually, including salads and cold dishes. I also take vitamins on the side. Of course, you can't say that only one oil can cure Crohn's disease, it's more like good supportive therapy.

Last edited: