• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best adult diapers for men?

nogutsnoglory

I have been wearing adult diapers the last few days due to incontinence. I have only tried the Depend Real Fit because it's most like boxers. My issue with it is that I wear it backwards because it seems like there is more cushion in case someone has a urinary accident and I'm only concerned with diarrhea.

Has anyone tried anything they can recommend? Something that makes sure that loads of heavy diarrhea don't start dripping down the leg.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I looked on drugstore.com for you. Unfortunately, majority of what I saw was for women. But, I did find 2 specifically for men. One of them was a guard and the other was underwear. The underwear I found said that it was a best seller. I like this website because there's free shipping when you spend $25 or more. This is where I pick up things I can't get in the stores. Hope this helps.

www.drugstore.com/depend-for-men-un...bency-largeextra-large/qxp214003?catid=183060

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey ngng,

I am not familiar with the Real Fit pads. By that I mean, I have seen the ads but not the actual product. From what I have seen I would think that they are suited lighter incontinence issues and so may not be configured for those with faecal incontinence.

Male incontinence products are only made with urinary incontinence in mind.

When you move into the pull up (brief) type products (not Real Fit) they will be bulkier in the actual pad area and are suited to deal with both urinary and faecal incontinence. The type of product I am talking about looks like this:

...these type of pads are suited to quite significant amounts of incontinence.

Dusty. xxx

nogutsnoglory

Thanks for the link cross I was thinking of buying those and trying them out.

Dusty I think you are right that most of the products are designed for people with bladder issues. My only hesitation with the thick pads is that you sweat more in them and they might be visible through the pants.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I hear exactly what you are saying ngng and understand your concerns. :(

I hope you are able to find a suitable product that meets your needs. You could contact your hospital, although not sure how that works in the US, or a medical supplies distributor in your state as they often have incontinence consultants that may be able to advise what product is best for you.

Dusty. xxx

I use tena super absorbent there unisex and have heaps of padding where you need it. I wear them out and at night

nogutsnoglory

Isn't the Tena just a pad though? I need to go diaper shopping (how exciting) maybe ill pick up a few and try them all.

I normally don't need them but lately I have no control. It might be due to the abscess or antibiotics I was on.

I was just wondering, maybe you could find something at one of those medical supply stores opposed to just the regular stores. They sometimes have better options when it comes to these things. I hope you find something that works well for you. it just sucks being sick! Hang in there.

nogutsnoglory

I'm always uncomfortable buying them since im a young guy. I mean they don't know that I'm not buying it for someone else but it's just awkward. Whatever anyone thinks I need to just do what I need to do.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
As far as I am aware all the major the major manufacturer's of incontinence aids carry the whole range, from a small insert pad right through to nappy style pads.

So that would include the makers of things such as Tena, Depend, Molicare, Abri San and so on.

Dusty. :)

I understand you being uncomfortable buying them, but don't be. I remember when my son was a baby ( he was a very big boy) we had to actually buy him depends towards the end a couple months before he was potty trained. Regular diapers just did not fit him.
I remember feeling awkward too( I was only 18 years old at the time). Now I am 38 and I have so many health issues I just stopped getting embarrassed when having to buy stuff at the store. I figure Screw people, it is none of their business anyhow! I have been poked and prodded by so many doctors in every area of my body I guess I have lost that whole embarrassment thing. The way I look at it is you are sick, you have a health problem that is out of your control. If people cannot understand that, **** them!

I'm always uncomfortable buying them since im a young guy. I mean they don't know that I'm not buying it for someone else but it's just awkward. Whatever anyone thinks I need to just do what I need to do.

nogutsnoglory

I agree I'm no longer embarrassed for doctors to look at or ask me anything. I'm used to talking about diarrhea, blood etc it doesn't phase me but they also know about this disease.

It's true who cares what the cashier at the pharmacy thinks. If they give me a problem ill poop right there and show them it is for me lol.

Ha ha, I love it! That will teach that cashier not to be rude!! Lol.

I agree I'm no longer embarrassed for doctors to look at or ask me anything. I'm used to talking about diarrhea, blood etc it doesn't phase me but they also know about this disease.

It's true who cares what the cashier at the pharmacy thinks. If they give me a problem ill poop right there and show them it is for me lol.

I'm female, but I wondered whether there's a continence service in your country? I'm in the UK, and my incontinence pads are delivered to my door, completely free. I don't have to worry about getting strange looks as I might if I had to buy them at a shop. In the UK each county has a continence service where you can have appointments to have your medical conditions assessed by a specially trained nurse, can get psychological support if you want it, and the nurse recommends which products should suit you best. They sent me Molimed maxi pads. Maybe you could ask your doctor if there's something similar where you are?

nogutsnoglory

I doubt it, the UK is much more progressive in terms of their healthcare. Nothing is free or offered to make our lives easier in the U.S. it's all profit driven.

NGNG I have found depends that look like briefs that are ok but I was stuck in traffic once and had a few accidents in the car and they leaked but think it was more to do with the amount of mucus and diarrhea that came out hope you find something to help

nogutsnoglory

Right now I am using the Depends Real Fit for incontinence but also for all the blood from my abscess drainage. I also purchased a store brand that says extra thick or absorbent so ill see which does a better job.

Yeah I'm a 31 year old guy and understand what your going through with the diapers I hope to be outa them soon I only wear them at night and when I go out but I put a pad in my undies when I'm at home sometimes I get weird mucus/water leakage that just comes out when I bolt to the toilet

I'm not planing to there expensive and I'm always searching to help my crohn's never give up dude there's always hope

nogutsnoglory

The Depend Real Fit sucks. I just had major diarrhea and it didn't hold it at all. I had my whole pants messed up and it dropped down my leg and all over the floor.

Ugh what's the point of a diaper if it holds as much of the diarrhea as boxer shorts. Luckily I was home and could run to the bathroom and change. So frustrated!

Hey Nogutsnoglory,

I was researching and found this website that specializes in products for varying degrees of fecal incontinence. Here is the link:

http://www.securepersonalcare.com/fecal_incontinence_information

I am so sorry you are having a hard time finding a good product. How frustrating, I mean you would think they would have some better options out there for people! Lord knows this is a real problem for a lot of people out there I am sure. They should have better products out there in my opinion! I see your issue though, I was searching and most of the products are for light leakage and stuff or for urinary incontinence.

The Depend Real Fit sucks. I just had major diarrhea and it didn't hold it at all. I had my whole pants messed up and it dropped down my leg and all over the floor.

Ugh what's the point of a diaper if it holds as much of the diarrhea as boxer shorts. Luckily I was home and could run to the bathroom and change. So frustrated!
I hate when this happens at home when your close to a bathroom sometimes I go down the drive to check the mail and have to run back to the toilet not always making it

It totally sucks but its better than being out in public without a bathroom and change of clothes. Nightmare.
True that I always carry some spare diapers and wet wipes and paper been stuck in too may public toilet's without paper sometimes all I get on the brain is need to poo as fast as I can and forget to check for paper then it's too late.

But yeah I wear the tena brief's and find them really good for leakage the smell is still there but not as bad.

Another thing I can suggest is they make diapers for older kids with developmental problems I'm fairly thin so I fit in them and they make some for both fecal and urinary incontinence but I can't remember who makes them just google them.

My stools are formed but having inflammation in the area that holds the poop is what makes me need to go according to my GI and having inflamed colon and parts of large intestine doesn't help either.

Hey guys I have this problem as well and it's killed my social life recently. Did occasionally as a kid, but hadn't for a long time. This has started up for me the past 6 months or so. The mucus, the liquid, at night while sleeping, but also during the day without realizing it. Happens to me sometimes while sitting down. I think I'm holding my bowels fine but I end up streaking. I now have jeans that I know I can shit myself in.

Anyways found another good website for all of this...

http://www.northshorecare.com/tranquility-diapers.html

Shows a wide range of styles and absorbencies.

I found that site through this... http://www.tranquilityproducts.com/vwhere2index.asp

The above link are specific retailers that carry tranquility products, they also carry alot of other specialty products related to incontinence.

Figured the knowledge should be spread. Good luck out there guys!

The only thing worse than having to wear an adult diaper to work is not wearing it home. I went to the bathroom today and all the stalls were full so I threw the dice and grabbed an elevator up a floor. Both stalls were full there too but I knew I couldn't walk anywhere. So I stood and waited 10 minutes for one of the stalls to come open and lost control somewhere around minute 6. Absolutely humiliating. However, I was wearing Tena Super Absorbant for men, backwards and and just hoped they worked.

The little stall opened up and I grabbed that and got myself cleaned up, paths untouched no leakage, but I couldn't take off my diaper without broadcasting everything I was doing so I waited for the guy next door in the handicapped stall to be done so I could move over. Another 15 minutes that guy sat there and then I had to wait another minute or two for the bathroom to clear so I could move over. I got myself cleaned up, got a clean pair of underwear from the car and my dignity remains intact.

I've had Crohn's 11 years and been crazy sick but never until April of this year had I ever more that mildly streaked a pair of underwear. Since then, I've had probably 4 major incidents at work. I've always been able to take care of the mess and head for home without alerting anyone but I really really hate this new aspect of this disease.

I have issues with IBS. I have found most men's products only work for urinary issues only. I had to end up buying the women's specific ones because they have the absorbancy in the back and seal better around the legs. I have tried many different types; got the free samples etc. Other than the big bulky unisex diapers; (which make noise; are hot to wear and bulky looking in clothes) the only briefs I found that work for this are the ones for women. I am not sure why they don't just make those unisex; and get rid of the girly colors they come in. I have found the TENA women's ones come in plain white; so I use those.

Depends here as well. I can commiserate though fellas, in a pinch I tried to use a generic depend that grandpa had left and oh boy. They are SOOOO made for urinary accidents! I had to wear it backwards then it dug into my legs :-( Maybe you could find ladies depends in a white color?. Hope you find something.

Just out of curiosity, why would men need a different type of product than a woman? We've all got basically the same anatomy at the rear end! I use Depends F6 pads along with tight underwear and they seem to work well in most situations, giving me ten minutes to get somewhere to clean up (as I have no control at all over timing of bowel movements). I've had leakage with very large amounts of liquid stool but they cope with a mixture of formed, unformed and liquid.