• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery in 2 days fistula.. advice?

surgery in 2 days fistula.. advice?

my surgeon told me he will cut a triangle shape out of my bowel that will include the fistula. it is apparently in part of my spinkter but i dont think it is too much. he said he wont stitch the wound because he wants it to heal naturally? im getting just an epidural as i hate anethesia.
also having an enema in hospital. its day surgery and is only expected to take an hr.

im terrified.

i had an extreemly painful fissure 2 years ago which created this fistula. im scared it will be just as painful as he will be cutting inside my bowel just like where my fissure was. im in hardly any pain at the moment.

im also scared of the enema. does it hurt? and the epidural can u feel the needle in ur spine?

sawdust

Hi coco. I have had some surgery for an abscess and fistula in the past, but I don't have experience with the kind of procedure you're discussing. I wanted to reply and wish you success and a bit of reassurance. While there may be some unknowns, there's nothing to be terrified about.

Please tell your surgeon about your concerns. He or she can help reassure you and you'll get the answers to some of the questions that the illusive answers are causing fear. You can do it, coco! :hug:

KWalker

You're going to feel so much better after surgery you're going to wish you had it sooner. I just had two surgeries for an abscess back in November/December. Have a look at my "lots of blood/pus" thread and it might help you out a little.

I'm so glad I had my surgery for this. Best of luck!

my surgeon told me he will cut a triangle shape out of my bowel that will include the fistula. it is apparently in part of my spinkter but i dont think it is too much. he said he wont stitch the wound because he wants it to heal naturally? im getting just an epidural as i hate anethesia.
also having an enema in hospital. its day surgery and is only expected to take an hr.

im terrified.

i had an extreemly painful fissure 2 years ago which created this fistula. im scared it will be just as painful as he will be cutting inside my bowel just like where my fissure was. im in hardly any pain at the moment.

im also scared of the enema. does it hurt? and the epidural can u feel the needle in ur spine?
I wish you the best... WHY no anethesia I have had it 16 times would much rather that then the epidural I have back issues from my epidurals :(

Please tell your surgeon about your concerns. He or she can help reassure you and you'll get the answers to some of the questions that the illusive answers are causing fear. You can do it, coco! :hug:
thankyou sawdust and everyone for ur help and encouragement!
sadly i asked my surgeon all these questions and got basically no answer for any of them. he was so vague and didnt answer them but instead explained the procedure in a different way. it was so fruitless so ask him anything. so i came here to ask if anyone had advice.

the procedure where the triangle is cut out is where thhe gland and fistula is. so basically he wants to extend my bowel to the gland rather than just sewing everything up or putting a seton in. id rather a seton to be honest!

im terrified of the pain that ill probarbly have during bms.

Dear Coco,

A few yrs ago I too have an operation on fistula. It is similar to the one which you will be going through. The wound was opened up and left to drain for a few days.

Do not be too worried about the operation. When they are performing the operation, you will be sleeping, you will not feel any pain or discomfort. After waking up from the operation, you will not feel any pain because they have numb the wounded area. I guess the doc will give you some antibiotics, streiods to keep the inflammation down.

You will notice some discharge from the opened fistula but it is normal because the discharge have to be drain off. I think it is rather important so the discahrge do no accumulate in your body. You may encounter some discharge of blood too. Do not be too worried. I have that too once.

The healing will take about 2 -3 weeks. I know u can overcome this operation. do have faith.

Regards,
Yellowfellow

im terrified.

Dear Coco,

A few yrs ago I too have an operation on fistula. It is similar to the one which you will be going through. The wound was opened up and left to drain for a few days.

Do not be too worried about the operation. When they are performing the operation, you will be sleeping, you will not feel any pain or discomfort. After waking up from the operation, you will not feel any pain because they have numb the wounded area. I guess the doc will give you some antibiotics, streiods to keep the inflammation down.

You will notice some discharge from the opened fistula but it is normal because the discharge have to be drain off. I think it is rather important so the discahrge do no accumulate in your body. You may encounter some discharge of blood too. Do not be too worried. I have that too once.

The healing will take about 2 -3 weeks. I know u can overcome this operation. do have faith.

Regards,
Yellowfellow
SHE is choosing to stay AWAKE :( ouch....

well today was the surgery day. i was all prepped. had an enema which really didnt agree with me. i was in the bathroom for almost half an hr. sweating in shock from the pain and extreemly bad tummy pains. and after that i was ready to go to surgery. just before i was due to go in i wanted to talk to the anestetist and my surgeon. anesthetist didnt want to give me an epidural so i said okay local it is then. he says no only general. i speak to the surgeon he says "do u want to talk about it" i say yes please. he tells me hes informing everyone that they r going to have to wait. he comes back out and tells me he cancelled the op! WTF! i didnt drive 2.5 hrs to there for him to cancel! i just wanted to ask about the pain and that ive changed i want a local. then he tells me i cant have one! when he said i could in his office! he then says he can referr me to someone else or i can come back at a later date. i have 2 words in reguards to that. f*** that. ive come to the conclusion that my mass isnt a fistula its puss and the scar of my fissure. so im going to put some magneplasm on it and try and cure it myself. wish me luck! thankyou for everyones help i appreciate it!