• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How probiotic bacteria protect against inflammatory bowel diseases

Invisible helpers: How probiotic bacteria protect against inflammatory bowel diseases

Yoghurt has been valued for centuries for its health-promoting effects. These effects are thought to be mediated by the lactic acid bacteria typically contained in yoghurt. Evidence from recent scientific studies show that some bacterial strains actually have a probiotic effect and can thus prevent disease. A team of biologists and nutrition scientists working with Prof. Dirk Haller from the Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM) has now discovered the mechanisms at work behind this protective effect (Cell Host & Microbe).

In experiments with mice, the scientists observed that lactocepin – an enzyme produced from the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus paracasei – can selectively interrupt inflammatory processes. As the scientists observed, lactocepin degrades messengers from the immune system, known as chemokines, in the diseased tissue. As a part of the "normal" immune response, chemokines are needed to guide defense cells to the source of the infection. In chronic intestinal disorders like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, the otherwise highly effective defense mechanism against infectious agents is malfunctioning. Chemokines such as "IP-10" then contribute to the tissue damage due to chronic inflammatory processes, preventing the tissue from healing.

"Lactocepin is a familiar element in food technology research," says Prof. Dirk Haller, who holds the Chair for Biofunctionality of Food at the TUM. "What is surprising, however, is its biomedical effect, namely the force with which the enzyme attacks and degrades very specific inflammatory mediators." Haller is certain that, based on this mechanism, it will be possible to develop new approaches to the targeted prevention and treatment of chronic bowel diseases as well as skin disorders: "The anti-inflammatory effect of lactocepin is limited to specific areas and up to now it has no known side effects."

The scientist therefore plans to carry out clinical studies in order to test the possible pharmaceutical application of the enzyme. Questions also remain to be answered in relation to the "production" of lactocepin by lactic acid bacteria. Some bacterial strains, such as Lactobacillus paracasei, produce highly potent lactocepins; however, the effectiveness of other microorganisms has not yet been proven. Dirk Haller therefore warns against false promises: "Not every product labeled as 'probiotic' actually earns this name."

###
Publication:

M.-A. von Schillde, G. Hörmannsperger, M. Weiher, C.-A. Alpert, H. Hahne, C. Bäuerl, K. van Huynegem, L. Steidler, T. Hrncir, G. Pérez-Martínez, B. Kuster, D. Haller (2012): Lactocepin Secreted By Lactobacillus Exerts Anti-Inflammatory Effects By Selectively Degrading Proinflammatory Chemokines, Cell Host & Microbe, doi: 10.1016/j.chom.2012.02.006

Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2012.02.006

Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Chair for Biofunctionality of Food
Research Center for Nutrition and Food Science / Department of
Biofunctionality
Prof. Dirk Haller
Tel.: + 49 (0)8161 71 2026
E-Mail: haller@wzw.tum.de
http://www.wzw.tum.de/bflm/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-04/tum-ihh042612.php

Ok I heard so many people suggesting that having yoghurt has helped them.
My regular diet inculded yoghurt made at home,everyday...and honestly I never experienced a bad flare up ever...no am not saying that yoghurt helped in that case, but I think youghurt is certainly good for people with IBD. Now the question also arises why did I have this deseases if I was a regular user of yougurt ?? But there can be exceptions.

My confusion at the moment is...my doctor has asked me not to have milk or any milk products....youghurt is a milk product so am confused because, youghurt has never triggered the symptoms for me. so am not sure wether I should restart using yoghurt or stick to what my doctor has asked me to do.

another silly question....
But why exactly is milk and milk products prohibited in crohn's ??

kiny

another silly question....
But why exactly is milk and milk products prohibited in crohn's ??
The lactose, it's hard to digest for many. They also saw that many people who are lactose intolerant are the same people who suffer from crohn.

And dairy is full of bacteria if it isn't pasteurized enough, and even if it is, stuff like MAP can survive pasteurization and could be the cause or side-effect of crohn.

And to get the bacteria from yoghurt some are using unpasteurized milk or unpasteurized yoghurt, so it's shock full of bacteria, but that's kinda crazy, since you have no idea what's in it, might as well find a probiotic then without all the garbage.

For probiotic to survive they need sugar though, pick out any probiotic and there's sugar in them, even the ones that claim they don't need them, there is sugar in it, just so they can survive. So on the one hand some studies say to avoid too much sugar for crohn, but on the other some studies say probiotics could help for crohn, which would either require the intake of lactose...or..sugar, lol.

Another thing is that many probiotic need NOD2 signaling to work properly. So testing these probiotic is all good and well, but many are tested in mice or in labs, where NOD2 was not an issue, but in crohn the tables turn and these same probiotic might not work if they're not getting correct NOD2 signaling. But then not every person who has crohn seems to have a disfunctional NOD2, so yah, hmmm.

I like the idea of probiotics working for crohn though, but they need the exact strain we need, and they need one that doesn't depend on NOD2 signaling, or they would need to know which crohn patients have defective NOD2 signaling, which I think would be a pretty expensive solution. I like the idea though.

Sid,
Milk and milk products are difficult to digest properly for some people. It can be the lactose that is hard to digest (due to a lack of enough of the enzyme lactase) or it could be one of the milk proteins that causes a problem.
The reason yoghurt is better tolerated is because of the bacteria used to make the yoghurt. These bacteria partially digest the milk protein casein, as well as breaking down the lactose into glucose and galactose. Most people with lactose intolerance can have a small amount of lactose in their diet, and yoghurt generally has less than milk. Hard cheeses are also low in lactose and usually well tolerated.

Diagnosed 17 years ago - been on yogurt since - but recently started talking a probiotic pill - Sustenex - with remarkably good results - which tells me that the semi-enteric capsule may be effective in getting the cultures past the stomach acids and into the gut. Phillips evidently has a similar capsule, with same objective. Might give the capsules a try.