• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor Appt today

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Well.
I had an appt with my new doctor today. Brought some info in to help us get started which seemed to help him a bit. Got a flexible sigmoid procedure scheduled for tomorrow so he can see what's happening with me. They'll be trying to transfer over my original medical records from my old insurance but it also sounds like we're also going to basically get a fresh start with my colon. Will keep you updated...

afidz

Super Moderator
It sounds like your appointment went well! Did you have to switch because of insurance?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Yeah. At the beginning of the year I switched insurances from an HMO to a PPO. It's a totally new experience for me because I'd been born into the HMO and had been with them since a baby. One scary jump. But, so far everything seems to be going well:)

afidz

Super Moderator
I hope it is a smooth transition for you, I am the complete opposite, I grew up with PPO, I was on HMO once when I was a teen but my parents were the ones dealing with it, not me.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Kind of a strange transition to go through isn't it? Thanks for the support:) Will let you know how things go tomorrow. Expect to be pretty knocked out though since they're going to give be anestesia.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
The prep is sort of like for a endoscopy or colonoscopy. Liquids only after a certain amount time. Only difference is that instead of swallowing the wonderful stuff you inject a couple of enemas up your rear within about an hour of each other.

Procedure is where they use a long lighted flexible tube scope that they send up your anal area where they can see/take biopsies if need be. Here's a website that will explain things better than I can.

www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/sigmoidoscopy

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I don't know. He said since I'm not driving and in case he ended up taking biopsies he'd rather to make things more comfortable. We'll see. Didn't sleep at all so will be pretty out of it when we come back. Let you know what happens...

I would say that is a good doctor, I mean at least he seems caring and considerate with your well being. I think it is good they are knocking you out, I mean especially if they are taking biopsies and stuff. Good Luck and hope all goes well...

I don't know. He said since I'm not driving and in case he ended up taking biopsies he'd rather to make things more comfortable. We'll see. Didn't sleep at all so will be pretty out of it when we come back. Let you know what happens...

It is frustrating to have to change doctors due to insurance. But it sounds like your new one is pretty good. Sometimes a fresh look is a good thing

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Procedure went well. Just got back. Says there's some mild inflammation of the rectum. Which is possible proctitis. They're having me do 2 canasa suppositories for a bit to see if it brings down the inflammation and am to be back into the office to see him in a few weeks. Wanted an appt 6th of March, but we're going on vacation for our anniversary so put me in for any cancellations.

Still a bit groggy so will be eating something shortly and be laying down. This doctor seems to be pretty thorough which is nice. Even gave me some pictures with his report on how my colon and rectum looked. Appreciating his fresh eyes as to my treatment:)