• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore throat

My daughters had a sore throat for a few days, l thought she might be coming down with the flu but last night she said her throat felt tight when she breathed in. Now l'm thinking its acid.

As its Saturday here l can't talk to the nurse till Monday. I have Nexium at home so l'm thinking of starting her on it today. She was going to start it a couple of months ago when she was getting pain after eating, but the pain went away on its own.

I don't know what to do.:confused2:

does she have an temperature could just be virus /toncilitusbut one of my sons first symptoms was ulcers in his throat have a look with a torch his looked like white plaques and very sore, plenty of fluids and pain relief.

No temperature. Throat looks normal. I'll see how she feels when she wakes up, l might take her to the DR.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't know what is happening in Sydney but up here at the moment we have a really nasty virus doing the rounds. Throat looks normal (hence the virus) but very, very sore...hurts to swallow, tightness...lasts anywhere up to 2 weeks and for some longer. :(

Please let us know how you get on. :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

Dusty l haven't heard of anything going around.

I started her on the Nexium. I also sent the nurse an email so hopefully she'll get back to me on Monday.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I hope things soon settle whatever the cause upsetmom. :ghug:

Good luck for Monday!

Dusty. xxx

She still has a sore throat. I just spoke to the nurse and she said its hard to tell if its caused from a virus or acid. But she said to continue with the Nexium.

My daughters still got a sore throat.:( It has started to look a bit red so l took her to see the GP. GP said to gargle with warm salt water and to use throat spray.

Aussie posted this in another thread so l'll be contacting the nurse tomorrow.
I would suggest you get a blood test ASAP, a sore throat is one of the more common signs of a significant bone marrow suppression.

Looking back at my diary...crohn's forum.:) she's been getting a sore throat on and off since starting the Pentasa

l've emailed the nurse asking if this could be caused by her medication and can she just stop the Nexium as its not helping at all. She still hasn't got back to me.

One thing I have found to work is what is called "oil pulling"..Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita, where it is called Kavala Gandoosha or Kavala Graha. I've started this and any sign of sore throat dissipated.

It looks like shes coming down with the flu/virus??. She woke up today sore all over but she still went to school. Then an hour later l got a call to pick her up as she was getting stabbing pains in her head. Shes been getting this stabbing for a few weeks now, GP called them icepick headaches.

Catherine l was thinking the same thing. All this smoke were're getting from the bushfires wouldn't be helping at all. Its so bad here in the mornings.

brucep10 thanks for the info that's handy to know. I don't know if she'll try that though.

The nurse doesn't think this is related to any of her medication and she said to stop the Nexium.

I know Johnny had a persistent sore throat when his white blood cell count got really low. We would have him gargle with mouth wash or salt water, something to help kill the germs. He usually had a few white specks. This was when we were going through med changes and once his WBC went back up it went away.

I know Johnny had a persistent sore throat when his white blood cell count got really low. We would have him gargle with mouth wash or salt water, something to help kill the germs. He usually had a few white specks. This was when we were going through med changes and once his WBC went back up it went away.

Hi How long did it take for his WBC to go up? we are struggling with that at the moment

They adjusted his meds and his WBC actually kept going down for a few months after that. The GI said that was completely normal. It took about 3 months to return to normal. The sore throats would occasionally pop up but if he gargled with mouth wash or salt water that seemed to take care of it.

Hope things get better for you soon. ((((Hugs))))

Her sore throat went away for awhile and then it come back and now its gone again.

No bloods have been done as the nurse doesn't believe its caused by any of her medication.

We have an appointment at the IBD clinic next month so l'll talk to the DR about it. Something is definitely causing this sore throat.

Just wondering if she's had a throat swab taken?
Pentasa could be responsible for the sore throat - though my impression has been it's less likely to cause immune suppression than some of the of meds used for Crohn's...
Another thought - is it worth checking to exclude a fungal cause? (In the same vein as babies getting oral thrush/candida - very common infective agent!)
Hope you get some answers soon..

HD

Ellie shes never had a throat swab, no DR has suggested it.

I still think it might be the Pentasa.:confused2: