• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very uncomfortable :(

I don't know if I am headed for a blockage or what. I haven't had a good poop in 3 days. Yesterday afternoon I definitely had some sharp pains near my ileum but they subsided. Tonight I ate some fettuccine Alfredo (light on th sauce made at home) and dreaded salad. I ate the salad to try and "get things moving". About 30 minutes later DEATH gas hot and awful but no relief. I look pregnant. I'm not in too much pain, but very uncomfortable!!! Am I headed for a blockage?
The thing is I hear my bowels a ton and I am passing gas, but it isn't relieving at all, and I don't even feel like I could poop. You know how if you're constipated you feel the need to go a lot but it just won't come out? I don't feel like that. Just full of tons of air, sore abdomen, and I look several months pregnant. Also the eye pressure, joint/muscle pain is really kickin up as well.
I guess just wait and see what happens? I feel it's too early to seek medical attention, this could be really severe indigestion and pass.? I've been on Humira since December, and just a few weeks ago began to taper off entocort, I got down to 6 and lived through the terrible aches and flu like stuff but when I tried to drop to 3 forget it! I got really sick. Dr pushed on my abdomen on Wednesday and it was very tender so he told me to stay at 6mg until the humira gets in my system more. Guess I'm just looking for advice/thoughts.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If the pain increases and becomes too much to bear then go to the hospital. Also go if you start vomiting. Check your temperature as well if possible so if you have a high fever, then also go to the hospital. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=55447

Try to increase your fluids instead to get things moving. Eating foods that move through you too fast will just bottleneck at the narrowing and may cause you to vomit. Hope it clears up on its own. In the meantime you may want to switch to softer foods that are easier to digest, a soft low residue diet.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. :hug:

My vote is with Jennifer, you could possibly be partially blocked right now. Fluids, possibly some mineral oil (my GI recommended 1 tablespoon nightly). You don't really want to increase muscle contractions beyond what they are, as that is a problem if you are backed up. Fluids and the oil can lubricate things and help them move a little easier. Take it carefully, and as Jennifer said, if things deteriorate any more, head to the hospital.

Thanks for asking :) um I haven't gone in 5 days now. :/ my stomach is distended but I still have an appetite and felt mostly ok today. I definitely have the head and joint pain though. How many days can you go without "going"? Eh!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Your stool only gets harder and more compact the longer it stays in there (webMD mentioned that 3 days is too long http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-constipation). I would call your doctor first thing tomorrow and let them know about it. Eating more may just add more fuel to the fire that may happen (hopefully won't). Switching to soups, smoothies and meal supplement drinks may be more beneficial. You still need to watch out for any nausea, vomiting, pain and fevers. Hope things start moving for you soon.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I honestly don't know what would happen if you did. Some members have mentioned taking something to get things moving and sometimes it helps yet oftentimes it causes vomiting. So just be careful.

I get quite bunged up on the steroids at the moment which can get uncomfortable. My doc prescribed me Lactulose, it got things moving fairly gently. But I have felt pretty inflamed since, I can't be sure if they are linked yet

This week I went five days without going. I always end up between going a hundred times and not going at all. The last time I went 17 days and ended up in the hospital for a week. Just call your doctor if you don't start going soon.

This week I went five days without going. I always end up between going a hundred times and not going at all. The last time I went 17 days and ended up in the hospital for a week. Just call your doctor if you don't start going soon.
Oh God 17 days !! Wow ok that makes me feel a little better thanks a lot for commenting! Not that you had that awful experience, but that I'm not in serious trouble yet. Mine is as you described as well. :( man after my loading doses of humira I was literally sx free, however weaned from 9 mg to 6mg of entocort and sudden to very symptomatic. This is discouraging :(
Thank you so much!

Thanks guys for looking out. I have orientation for my internship tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m it is a 25 ish minute drive in traffic. I am terrified I'll need to suddenly go while in the car and am also just nervous in general so this is NOT ideal. My Humira injection is due on Wednesday so maybe it will help? I don't know.
I am going to get up really really early and drink coffee and hope and pray I go so I don't feel/look 6 months pregnant and have the anxiety about that on top of all the usual that would come with meeting with a new boss for the first time and wanting to be up to par. :/

Good luck tomorrow, coffee usually makes me have to run to the bathroom, usually. Sometimes when I stress out about it I end up making it worse. Keep us updated and have a good day tomorrow. :)

Have you ever asked your doctor if you could give yourself an enema under such circumstances? I've only gone 4 days without going and was miserable.

Hi there, i get the exact same symptoms as you on a regular basis and i panic alot and that doesnt help either. i start panicking if i havent been to the loo in 1 or 2 days because i know hoe difficult it is when you are bagged up. it plays on your mind constantly and you just wish you could go into the toilet and unload (sorry about the expression) lol.

Anyway in the last year ive been taking 1 mild laxitive (stool softner) per day, its called 'Movicol' and its very gentle on the bowel and that prevents me from getting chronic constipation, it just makes things run a little smoother.

If i forget to take one or if ive been out at the weekend on the sauce then my colon dries up and i end up in the position you are in. So what i will do in that case is i will take 3 or 4 of them throughout the day and by nighttime or the next morning i can do the toilet again without much persuasion. So i would recommend Movicol, you just pour it into a glass of water and drink it (i usually drink it in a oner). Hopefully that will work for you aswell, because constantly thinking you have a blockage is the norm when your severely constipated.

But i would also agree that if a stool softner doesnt get things going then you would be best going to see your doctor/consultant.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nicky

So I went this morning. I am not sure whether to be relieved or not because it as tiny bullets and mostly D. :( Now I'm having intermittent sharp pains in my lower right. My Crohn's is in my ileum. Also I am wiped OUT! Having an orientation with D and a half pregnant looking belly was totally unpleasant. I am home in bed at least. I am just unsure what to do. For now I am going to rest a little. This disease is just SO frustrating. Just when you think you are feeling better something else hits you. It's like living for the good days, which is a bummer.

Next week I have a 5 day domestic violence training for my internship site and I am afraid I will not be up to it :(

So I made it through my internship orientation but since early afternoon have been having sharp pain on my lower right. It comes and goes, but it is coming more than going now and I feel crappy. I don't know whether to wait and see if it gets worse or go get attention now. I don't want unnecessary stuff done to me or meds etc so I'm hesitant to go to the hospital, but at the same time I don't feel well. However since I'm not in agony I'm afraid to make a worthless trip. I'm waiting for the on call dr to call me.

I was going to suggest calling the dr and seeing what they say. I hate going to the hospital bc they always end up doing a million tests and then either sending me home or admitting me. I don't like either one :(

They had my dr call me which is nice :) she wants to send me for a regular X-ray today to check for a blockage. I didn't think they could see much of the bowel on a regular X-ray? Anyway I feel less bloated but the pain in my lower right is still coming and going. And the reason I think I feel better is bec she told me only to have liquid and jello last night.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes regular x-rays can see a blockage. If they wanted a clearer image then they could do a CT scan etc but a regular x-ray will pick up a mass. I had them done every morning after my last blockage (was hospitalized). When are you having it done?

I'm going through the EXACT same thing right now and it is the COMPLETE opposite of my norm. I do have a stricture in the TI though. GI told me last week to take Miralax (it's safer than stool softener) and has an MRE in the works for me to see whats going on in there. Sorry I have no advice but thought I'd let you know, you're not alone! Hope things get better quickly for you.