• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice needed from those living in Germany

Hi there,
I will be relocating from the UK to Germany for a year as I will be volunteering with the German red cross. I would love some advice in regards to insurance, how the healthcare system works and how you are managed with your IBD

Thank you ever so much!

After recent events I've been looking at jobs in Germany, so this is a timely post. As I understand it some kind of healthcare insurance is mandatory, but most people are part of the government run scheme that's paid for by your employer. If you earn beyond a certain amount you're required to buy private insurance.

Where this leaves you if you're doing voluntary work I've no idea. It may be that you have no choice but to pay the full amount for private insurance, but have you asked The Red Cross? After all they are The Red Cross. They may have it covered.

The old EHIC card will cover you for a temporary stay, but how long "temporary" is is not clear, and that probably won't cover anything non-urgent - i.e. treatment for chronic conditions. And of course that may be subject to the UK staying in the EU...

But everything I've read says that healthcare in Germany is infinitely superior to our own, so in all likeliness you'll get much better treatment. My family in France tell me astonishing stories of seeing doctors the same day; not waiting weeks for test results, and getting treatments done quickly that the NHS won't do it all.

After recent events I've been looking at jobs in Germany, so this is a timely post. As I understand it some kind of healthcare insurance is mandatory, but most people are part of the government run scheme that's paid for by your employer. If you earn beyond a certain amount you're required to buy private insurance.

Where this leaves you if you're doing voluntary work I've no idea. It may be that you have no choice but to pay the full amount for private insurance, but have you asked The Red Cross? After all they are The Red Cross. They may have it covered.

The old EHIC card will cover you for a temporary stay, but how long "temporary" is is not clear, and that probably won't cover anything non-urgent - i.e. treatment for chronic conditions. And of course that may be subject to the UK staying in the EU...

But everything I've read says that healthcare in Germany is infinitely superior to our own, so in all likeliness you'll get much better treatment. My family in France tell me astonishing stories of seeing doctors the same day; not waiting weeks for test results, and getting treatments done quickly that the NHS won't do it all.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. How is the job search going? I have found out that I will be covered by AXA, I just need to verify whether they will cover pre-existing conditions. I do remember reading about the healthcare system and how it far surpasses our own so I am looking forward to bering out there and being in such safe hands

Wishing you al the best,

June

How is the job search going?
I haven't really done anything, just looked. I don't think it's very likely to be honest, just feeling like now is the time to get out of the country.

Hopefully someone living in Germany can still reply. There's at least one regular German poster on here.