• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What should i have for tea?

Im having a Chinese takeaway tonight and think im gonna have to put my usual Beef Curry and Fried rice to one side. What should i have that isnt going to make my insides implode?!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
For all outside the UK, tea is NOT tea it is a meal, found out the hard way LOL. Fried foods do aggrivate the gut, and to help I use digestive enzymes to help break down fats and carbs. I usually have just the fried rice, other stuff does me in. Hope others here are more helpful.

Oh - and I was just going to say - decaf tea is nice - LOL! I avoid chinese food altogether (really, really bad experience) but if I was going to have it, I would stick to chicken dishes and plain white rice.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I was going to suggest chamomile or peppermint tea, then I read JettaLady's post and was disappointed, ha ha. I also have a hard time with chinese food. The last time I went to a chinese buffet, I had plain rice, plain noodles, and jell-o. I didn't see plain baked chicken there (fried chicken yes, but I can't do fried foods) or I would have eaten that too.

Thanks, Pen, for the explanation ;)

We got Chinesetakeout recently and I just got wonton soup and plain lo mein noodles. Usually I get szechuan chicken, but not brave enough to try too much spice yet and I currently am trying to avoid veggies w/ skins.

My husband and I make some of our own Chinese food so I can eat something more flavorful than plain noodles and wonton soup. Just recently we did General Tso's chicken and we used green beans instead of broccoli. So much easier to cook your own and have control over what veggies go in and peeling skins off and making it a meal that does work for you.

But I can understand not wanting to cook and getting takeout every once in a while. For me, it's much more of a hassle to eat out these days than just plan meals for the week :)

ameslouise

Can't help you much here... if you read the "Never again will I eat...." thread you will find that Chinese food is a killer for a lot of people.

I gave it up for good about 8 months ago. I really don't think there's much other than white rice and steamed veggies that could possibly be good for any of us. Maybe a lighter noodle dish - like Chow Mei Fun?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I was going to suggest chamomile or peppermint tea, then I read JettaLady's post and was disappointed, ha ha. I also have a hard time with chinese food. The last time I went to a chinese buffet, I had plain rice, plain noodles, and jell-o. I didn't see plain baked chicken there (fried chicken yes, but I can't do fried foods) or I would have eaten that too.

:ybiggrin: I know! I was going to mention a good tea that has natural iron it it. Tetley (Inspire) Summer berry herbal tea.... then I remember Astra (Joan) telling me she had to make the family tea and I thought ...then said "how hard is it to make tea"? Then she told me it was "our dinner" their tea... no wonder they tea so much, in a cuppa or dinner :ysmile:

I am back up to things like Hot&sour soup, black bean chicken, Eggrolls, And anything and everything fishy.

I am more of an authentic food guy anyway and started back into the Asian foods with Egg-drop soup and a slab of poached or baked fish.

Ok, we know this is a "Chinese food" thread by the "tea" man, but just wanted to shout out that for me as I cannot eat Chinese anymore I replaced it with Sushi and have no problems at all with it, I can even enjoy a little wasabi and soy sauce with it all. I did however change from having the sesame seeds they roll on the outside and also changed from having the kelp seaweed to having rice paper instead.

Try it and see, for me it's a great healthy alternative and my stomach is always happy afterwards.

Colette the crohny.... for 24 years and counting.....

i have a real urge for a big mac seeing all the mc donalds advertising at the world cup!!! how about one of those for your tea?

Astra

I might as well chuck a big mac straight down the bog! that's what it does to me!
Re: Chinese, it's the monosodiumglutomate that kills us! In a town near me, there's a Chinese that uses no MSG, and it is gorgeous, and stays in, rather than straight out within minutes!

reading above i have to say that takeaway chinese food is called a medicine here, lol, every time i eat it i feel great for about two days later bm wise, im sure its the msg or the sesame oil thats diong it, if i could afford it id eat it every day, btw chicken kung po is my fave at the mo lol, and its the same with indian curries too madras doesnt even bother me, another beneficial meal , but im wary of a good ole bacon and fried egg roll though, still have them but pay later lol