• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How old are you?

How old are you

• 17 or younger

Votes: 52 9.2%
  • 18-21

Votes: 81 14.4%
  • 22-29

Votes: 156 27.7%
  • 30-39

Votes: 108 19.1%
  • 40-49

Votes: 85 15.1%
  • 50-59

Votes: 57 10.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 3.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 7 1.2%

• Total voters
how old are you?

I was just wondering how old everyone is and how old they were when they were diagnosed? I am 27 years old and was diagnosed about a month ago.

HAHA Penny! (She's really in her late 20's)... You could do a poll Donna - or 2 separate polls.. That would make it more anonymous.

Astra

I've had symptoms since early 20's, was diagnosed 5 years ago, I'm 46 now!, nearly 47, nearly 50! Oh God!
and anyway, you're only as old as the man you feel!! (allegedly)

i (apparently) look in my 30's, i feel in my 20's, i act like a big kid, but i'm actually 46. can't believe it sometimes lol.

i was diagnosed just before i was 20, but had been suffering typical Crohn's symptoms since about 15, & had signs of it from early childhood.

Astra - i think you & me might be cyber twins! is your birthday next month?

I am 46 and in the process of being diagnosed. I have had my regular MD tell me he thinks it is Chrons. I have had sever abdominal cramps. Bleeding (for years) diarreha (for years) was diagnosed by a gastroenterologist 4 years ago with IBS, but the IBS meds have never seemed to work for me. I think I have had symptoms for about 20 years.

25, diagnosed at 25, who knows how long I have had symptoms! (I have had 'episodes' before, but always attributed it to food intolerances since they would typically only last a few hours).

30, had a dozen tests including endoscopy, and colonoscopy and the GI said I don't have crohn's. Yet I have mouth sores, swollen joints in my right hand, massive weight loss, nausea, ya know the usual,beginning to think the Doc's here fell asleep during the Crohn's segment of their training. Have had "Crohn's" like symptoms since I was 8.

rygon

26 and diagnosed a yr ago (although if i went to the doctors more often it would have been 3-4yrs ago)

Hi All,
I'm 42, was formally dx'd @ 42 but suffered off/on for at least 20 yrs.
The porcelain bleeding started in my late 20's.

I'm 27 and was diagnosed when i was 8.....wow that makes nearly 20years living with this thing....hadnt realised it was that long....properly a part of my life now!

I am 30 yrs old, diagnosed at age 28. Symptoms since I was 16 yrs old

Is the late 20's the time they are seeing this? Seems like alot of people were in their late 20's when they were diagnosed..kinda scary!!

Shanan

I'm 48. Had first abdominal scan at 18 with minor sypmtoms. Next 15 years problems were contributed to female issues and alcoholism. At age 33 had first abnormal colonoscopy, but was not officially dx'd until I was 43, 3 weeks after partial hystorectomy. Over 10 years I was treated for unknown arthritic symptoms, erythema nodosum, and skin irritations, all of which I have since learned are side effects of Crohn's. Who knew? Apparently none of my doctors.

I am 46. Will be 47 in 9 days. I am in the process of being diagnosed. If this is Crohns I have had symptoms for some 15-20 years.

I am 29 and was dx in Sept last year!! In another month it will be the ann of a year ago I started my first major flare!! Have had issues & symptoms since I was 17 tho.
It is interesting to see alot of people were dx in their 20's and most had issues for along time before being dx.

47 and diagnosed at 24. I can remember having gut problems since I was 10. Hmmm, memories, caster oil mixed with Pineapple juice to cover it. Still don't like the taste of Pineapple.

30, had a dozen tests including endoscopy, and colonoscopy and the GI said I don't have crohn's. Yet I have mouth sores, swollen joints in my right hand, massive weight loss, nausea, ya know the usual,beginning to think the Doc's here fell asleep during the Crohn's segment of their training. Have had "Crohn's" like symptoms since I was 8.
Hey there,

It's been my experience that there are many docs that don't understand Crohns, if you think you have Crohns and that your current doc isn't getting it I would suggest looking for a new doc quickly! I have met many people that had doctor issues and it made their situation much worse over time before they finally switch Docs!

I was diagnosed at age 12. Received Phil the bag at age 17. Revisions of Phil many times over and then got Bob the bag last yr. in October 2009.

I'm in my early 40s but I've been told by several people in the surgeon's waiting room that I don't look like I'm in my 40s at all and I'm too young to be sick. God love 'em.

Heck, my 10 year old niece tells me that every time I cut and color my hair, it takes 10 years off instantly and looks way better than Uncle Phil who looks really old. I'm taking her on a shopping spree and to Disney world when she turns 16. It'll be on his dime of course....... he doesn't know it yet though, lol (yes, I'm soooooo bad hee hee hee)

old man chronie

I am 65 and was diagnosed in 1968. So I'm betting nobody trumps me in age.
For many years, all i took was lomotil. Now I find colestipol to be a good binding agent. But, with age and resections, and blood transfusions aplenty behind me, i'm just glad to be still up and around. Any old timers out there who can relate?

I am 36 and was diagnosed last year. No symptoms whatsoever before, actually I still dont look like I have crohns. I lost some weight last year (yeah I did not eat anything for six weeks this can make you loose weight) But I am still fat (85 kilos - 1.70m height) and since I am on prednizone right now I will probably look puffier in the future (oh joy).

30 diagnosed at 28. My mom thinks that I had my first flare when I was about 12 but we didn't know it was that at the time.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
A GREAT BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU MERRY WOOHOO!!!!!!

:mbh::mbh:

:bdayparty::bdayparty::bdayparty::bdayparty:

:birthday2::birthday2::birthday2::birthday2:

Have a wonderful day, :):):)
Dusty

I'm 34 and was diagnosed in 1998 (my son was 3)
I did have symptoms prior to that, but officially a crohns patient in 1998.

Tell me about it. I was diagnosed 4 mths ago and am still in shock, devastated, depresssed, angry and hoping to wake up from a bad dream. It has changed my life and furture completely.

Tell me about it. I was diagnosed 4 mths ago and am still in shock, devastated, depresssed, angry and hoping to wake up from a bad dream. It has changed my life and furture completely.
I think we all kind of went through that, the biggest shocker for me was when the doctor told me i would have to take pills everyday for the rest of my life, for some reason that was the hardest.

Im 26, diagnosed when i was 23. Ive had symptoms my entire life, in and out of doctors and hospitals since i was like 6.

Well, if you must know, I'm 35 and I was dx in Oct. 1991. In fact, it was about this time in October. I remember being in the hospital over Halloween. My appendix had burst. That's when they noticed the diseased intestines. Biopsy confirmed CD. Then they made me go through all the wonderful tests. Upper/Lower GI, CT scan. Oh what fun. A month and a half later I was back in the hospital with an abdominal abscess. They had to surgically remove that and do a resection, I woke up with an ileostomy. Hello CD.