• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So FRUSTRATED

so FRUSTRATED

I am new to the world of stomas, three weeks new.
I am having major problems with my bag, somedays changing the bag as many as four times because it leaked! I live 4 hours away from my stoma nurse, so right now we have phone appointments to try to figure out the problem.
To add to my issues, the skin under the faceplate is irritated.
Yarg. I know it'll get better, but right now it's making this whole thing much harder than it has to be.

Nyx

Call all of the ostomy companies and get free samples. There will be one appliance out there that will work for you. Also, do you use the rings or paste as well? If you don't, they may help as well. Another thing is making sure that the flange is fairly tight around your stoma, if the hole is too big, output will get underneath and leak and make your skin irritated.

PsychoJane

So I went to my ostomy supply store today and I saw a new line of products. I never tried any of these but they did tell me that the users seem to like it and says its effective. The product line is SALTS, it comes from UK and is new in Qc. They have something called dermacol, it is like a seal that you put underneath the flange and it adjust to the stoma to prevent any output from going underneath. I don't know if it is working as great as it seems it could be but I saw the thing and it looks like it could work properly. It may worth a try.

For the irritated skin, I find the fastest way to help it heal is a combo of thermal water and Karaya powder. I wash with soft soap, rince, spray my water, path it dry then cover with karaya powder.

If you havent tried it yet, maybe your stoma nurse already gave you the advice to try to put your appliance lying on your back to make sure your abdomen is as flat as it can be to stick the thing and then you can blow some hot hair with a blowdryer on the whole thing. It kinda helps sticking the whole thing properly and mold the body better a bit. With time it became easier and I did not need to do that for a long time but it helped.

Have you noticed things that are more inclined to provoke the leak so far? Some food that you ate, some type of clothes that you have been wearing, activity you have done?

Terriernut

I am having major problems with my bag, somedays changing the bag as many as four times because it leaked! I live 4 hours away from my stoma nurse, so right now we have phone appointments to try to figure out the problem.
Yarg. I know it'll get better, but right now it's making this whole thing much harder than it has to be.
At three weeks your stoma is shrinking away as Cindy says. The best way to deal with it is to use barrier rings. I swear by them! Also, measure every time you change your bag (obviously not 4 times a day).

Cavilon spray helps, as does stoma powder. When you shower, or have a bath is the bag on or off? Are you using any lotion near your stoma? If you are dont! Also, when applying the bag, make sure it is super dry under there, and apply 'bottoms up' But honestly, the stoma nurse should bring you or send you some rings...pronto! (I use SALTS rings, but as mentioned, it's a product in Europe)

I promise, things will get better!!!!! And yes, absolutely ring all the ostomy supply companies for samples, and also for advice. Alot of them are ostomates themselves, and are very helpful!

Been there, resolved it, either the Salts rings, or the Eakin Seals are the way to go. No more leaks after that. But make sure you don't overpowder, another option is to apply powder, blow the excess off, then wipe over with a barrier wipe (like Cavilon wipe). Then apply the seal.

Is it always leaking in the same position in relation to your stoma? If so, you might have some irregularity or unevenness and, if so, you will need to talk to your stoma nurse about that.

Part of the reason for the irritation of your skin could be just that you are having to take the bag off so often, in addition to the actual leakage being an irritant.

Thanks everyone! these are some great tips. I live in very small town and have very few resources here. I know it'll get better, and I'm so happy I've found this forum!

So I went to my ostomy supply store today and I saw a new line of products. I never tried any of these but they did tell me that the users seem to like it and says its effective. The product line is SALTS, it comes from UK and is new in Qc. They have something called dermacol, it is like a seal that you put underneath the flange and it adjust to the stoma to prevent any output from going underneath. I don't know if it is working as great as it seems it could be but I saw the thing and it looks like it could work properly. It may worth a try.
I've just received some samples of those dermacol collars today, not tried one yet but I have to admit they look brilliant. I'll come back and let you know how they work out when I've given them a go.