• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemmies

At the moment they are raging. I had been taking Mag Citrate via a product called Natural Calm ( sold at Whole Foods) Very low dose. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but hemmies have awoken. I thought the mag citrate would be right to take as it softened stool, but should I be taking Psyllium husk or flax seed instead. Those bulk but keep it soft?

Can someone help? I need soft gentle stools or these hemmies are going to own me.

Hi winter, I know with my daughter we were told if she had hemorrhoids to call the GI. I believe this has to do with a possible inflammatory response. She had rectal involvement so problems down there has to be reported.

As far as the bulking agents. I'm not sure. Grace had cramping when I tried to use those.

I'll tagged in DustyKat as her daughter uses the phylum husk. She's always better at advice then me.:hug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks Fw. :)

winter, a couple of questions:

Do you have any perianal disease?
If so are these definitely haemorrhoids and not skin tags?

My kids take psyllium to bulk up there stools only. They have had ileal resections so suffer with diarrhoea without it.
Where is your disease located and is there a risk you may have stricturing/narrowing?
If so then you must use psyllium or any bulking agent with caution or it may cause blockage.

You may need to go an OTC stool softener.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks Fw. :)

winter, a couple of questions:

Do you have any perianal disease?
If so are these definitely haemorrhoids and not skin tags?

My kids take psyllium to bulk up there stools only. They have had ileal resections so suffer with diarrhoea without it.
Where is your disease located and is there a risk you may have stricturing/narrowing?
If so then you must use psyllium or any bulking agent with caution or it may cause blockage.

You may need to go an OTC stool softener.

Dusty. xxx
Thanks for following up. I have yet to be diagnosed with any perianal disease, though something seems off in that area. The x3 I have been evaluated, nothing has been seen. Can hemmies be diagnosed if they are not inflamed?

I am still at loss how this last one has been brought on as I don't feel like I strained nor was it a noticeably hard stool.

I have been trying to read up on psyllum vs flaxseed. My concern is the bulk. Flaxseed contains from what I've read 2:1 ratio of insouble vs souble fiber. With insouble being the higher of two. Insouble adds the bulk, but its also supposed to soften? I want less bulk, yet want the softening! That being said Flaxseed also has nutrient value where as psyllium doesn't.

I need moderate to low bulk as I usually go every morning, but most importantly I need it to be SOFT. I am confused which one psyllium or flax would be most appropriate when hemmies are inflamed. Does anyone definitively know? I founds the following, but then will find something that states psyllium is better. I am a technical person so knowing whats better is imperative to me.

"The high fiber in flax seeds makes them a good dietary addition for individuals with hemorrhoids. About 40 percent of a flax seed is made up of fiber, about 10 percent soluble fiber and 30 percent insoluble fiber. This is a higher percentage of total fiber than oat bran and a higher percentage of soluble fiber than wheat bran, oat bran, rice bran or corn bran. One fiber component of flax seed is mucilage, a gummy substance that adds bulk to stool and softens it. Softer stool is easier to pass and less likely to create or worsen hemorrhoids."

Also starting out at 1 tablespoon seems a bit risky. Was thinking more like a 1/2 tablespoon mixed with water if I were to do the Flaxseed route

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I’m don’t really know the answer to either of your questions winter, sorry. :(

I think the ability to diagnose the haemorrhoids when not active may depend on how long they have present and therefore any telltale lingering evidence.

Have you have a flexi sig to rule out any internal issues in the rectum?

I don’t know which is better between psyllium and flaxseed. What I can say though that starting out with tablespoon of psyllium would not be wise either. Start slowly and adjust up as needed.

Dusty. xxx