• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed- already have an abscess

Hey everyone! I was diagnosed with Crohns a week after my 27th birthday, a month ago. Ever since, I've had nothing but problems. I have had a colonoscopy and lots of blood work that confirmed the diagnosis. My GI seemed very optimistic that I was dealing with very mild to moderate Crohns and started me on Entocort and Lialda. After a week of feeling completely tired and ill, I began to have a lot of right side pain. After heading back to the hospital, it turns out I have an abscess near the bottom of my colon. Four days in the on Flagyl and Cipro, and now I'm home. Im supposed to take the antibiotics for 2 more weeks and then repeat the CT to see if it's still there. If it is, it'll be drained. My GI said it's best to delay any type of surgery as long as possible with Crohns because you typically just keep needing surgeries. Not very comforting. Because of the abscess, I'm now on no medication for the Crohns. This is all very new to me, and I honestly am feeling very discouraged. I have three small children that have no idea why mommy is suddenly so sick all the time. So for now, I'm trying to learn new eating habits and learn my way through all this confusing information about Crohns. Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Traci. Thank you for joining and sharing your story. I'm so sorry to hear you're having complications though. That's really rough and my heart goes out to you :(

*hugs*

I really dislike you not being on anything except the antibiotics. My suggestion would be to research and discuss the idea of utilizing enteral nutrition with your doctor. Not only can enteral nutrition help you get into remission, but it'll provide your body with the nutrients in needs so your immune system has a better chance of fighting off the infection causing the abscess.

I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon!

I am actually feeling much better, which makes me extremely happy. Im supposed to go back to my GI and he said we'll probably start a taper dose of prednisone and then go back to the meds I had previously started, Entocort and Lialda. What Im reading on here, it seems lialda isn't even for crohns. My small intestine is what's inflamed. The abscess that formed is near the right side of my colon. So confusing.

Sorry to hear you are flaring right now traci0531. That is the fun of CD it can show up anywhere in your digestive tract. I just hope that they can get you on a proper maintenance medication to hopefully put in remission.

You mentioned that you have been reading around the forum. Please have a look at the treatment and diet sections. they are full of great information on how to fight back.

There is also many on here that have small children as well and I hope they chime in with some advice on how to explain this to your babies.

sending hugs your way. :hug:

David

Co-Founder
I am actually feeling much better, which makes me extremely happy. Im supposed to go back to my GI and he said we'll probably start a taper dose of prednisone and then go back to the meds I had previously started, Entocort and Lialda. What Im reading on here, it seems lialda isn't even for crohns. My small intestine is what's inflamed. The abscess that formed is near the right side of my colon. So confusing.
Correct. Lialda is indicated for use in Ulcerative Colitis. It is formulated to treat inflammation of the colon. If you have inflammation in your small intestine, chances are it won't do much. If you have inflammation in your colon from Crohn's it may help some but it is thought to act topically (sort of like a lotion) whereas Crohn's disease can affect the entire width of the bowel wall.