• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side effects of Omeprazole, Imuran, Budesonide

Any known side effects/ things to worry about for Omeprazole? Taking this for my GERD as well as Imuran and Budesonide which I believe are steroids for Crohn's any one know any negative outcomes of any of these.
I believe I will be on Asacol after steroids if I remember correctly, but I've been doing some searching and it led to finding out Asacol is for Ulcerative colitis only maybe it was something else that I have to take after the steroids.

Just for context, I'm 19 and recently dx with Crohn's incase that would help with what prescription is usually recommended after the steroids. Will ask GI but would like some insight of personal expierences as well and any other information.
Thanks

Omeprazole is for nausea.. Not any side effects that I know of.. You can take it while pregnant so i don't think it's too bad.. I don't know much about budesonide except that it's a steroid.. So you could expect weight gain, osteoporosis if on it for a long period of time. I'm currently on Imuran, it made me very nauseated for the first 2-3 weeks i was on it. Can cause you to get sick easier, makes you at risk for cancer I believe.

I'm also on remicade, that has been an amazing drug for me.

I've been on budesonide for a couple of months and the side effects have been endless. I got a nasty chest infection for a month, awful headaches and dizziness, itching, frequent need to urinate even through the night etc etc. Current symptoms are not so bad - urination not quite as bad, though still getting up three or four times in the night. Muscle weakness has become a minor problem, I can hardly lift a chair at the moment. Sleeplessness is very bad, mostly not sleeping till 4.30 am, but oddly, waking at 7 and not feeling tired - I seem to have more energy than before. Unfortunately, as the side-effects have eased off, so has the effectiveness of the medication and I'm anxious that it's going to stop helping any time soon. I understand that the long-term worries about steroids are eye problems (cataracts, glaucoma) and bone density problems, quite scary.

Omeprazole is for nausea.. Not any side effects that I know of.. You can take it while pregnant so i don't think it's too bad.. I don't know much about budesonide except that it's a steroid.. So you could expect weight gain, osteoporosis if on it for a long period of time. I'm currently on Imuran, it made me very nauseated for the first 2-3 weeks i was on it. Can cause you to get sick easier, makes you at risk for cancer I believe.

I'm also on remicade, that has been an amazing drug for me.
Thanks for the information.
I hope to try and treat this with a combination of diet and medicine as I know Crohn's can change quickly and there is no real alternative to cure except some rare cases apparently. I have expected weight gain and higher appetite. Hopefully I will not have any bone problems as I'm going to end it soon I believe. For me Omeprazole is for reducing the acids in the stomach for GERD. What was the reason you switched from Imuran to remicade?
and by first 2-weeks you mean the first two weeks once the steroid period ended or two weeks even with the steroids

About the Cancer related risks, should I ask my GI for alternatives for that? Or is this medicine most likely appropriate for my age?

I've been on budesonide for a couple of months and the side effects have been endless. I got a nasty chest infection for a month, awful headaches and dizziness, itching, frequent need to urinate even through the night etc etc. Current symptoms are not so bad - urination not quite as bad, though still getting up three or four times in the night. Muscle weakness has become a minor problem, I can hardly lift a chair at the moment. Sleeplessness is very bad, mostly not sleeping till 4.30 am, but oddly, waking at 7 and not feeling tired - I seem to have more energy than before. Unfortunately, as the side-effects have eased off, so has the effectiveness of the medication and I'm anxious that it's going to stop helping any time soon. I understand that the long-term worries about steroids are eye problems (cataracts, glaucoma) and bone density problems, quite scary.
Sorry to hear your experiences hopefully we'll both be off them soon . besides budeosodine what are you taking out of curiosity to treat Crohn's?

Scipio

I've been on 20 mg/day omeprazole for years and have had no side effects to speak of. It just keeps my heartburn down and helps protect the stomach. There are studies published showing that it increases the risk of some conditions - osteoporosis by reducing calcium absorption from the diet. Also increased risk of some infections due to decreased killing of bugs by the reduced stomach acid. And most recently a long term risk of dementia in very old patients. So far I have not had any of these.

I've also had one two-month course of budesonide and had no noticeable side effects. But one thing to remember with budesonide is do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while on the drug. The grapefruit will interfere with the metabolism of the drug and increase its "hang time" in the blood and thus increase the risk of side effects.

I've been on 20 mg/day omeprazole for years and have had no side effects to speak of. It just keeps my heartburn down and helps protect the stomach. There are studies published showing that it increases the risk of some conditions - osteoporosis by reducing calcium absorption from the diet. Also increased risk of some infections due to decreased killing of bugs by the reduced stomach acid. And most recently a long term risk of dementia in very old patients. So far I have not had any of these.

I've also had one two-month course of budesonide and had no noticeable side effects. But one thing to remember with budesonide is do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while on the drug. The grapefruit will interfere with the metabolism of the drug and increase its "hang time" in the blood and thus increase the risk of side effects.
Thanks, Scipio what are your meds for Crohn's?
I see in your support groups Imuran, was that one of your past meds why did you stop and how did you feel on it. And what do you have to say on the increased risks (such as cancer on it)

Scipio

My only medication for Crohn's is intermittent budesonide. I am fortunate in that my Crohn's is very mild, and I have not had to move up to anything stronger (so far).

My GI talked about Imuran as a follow-on to the budesonide, which is why I joined that group - to learn about it. But so far we have agreed to hold off on the Imuran due to the very mild nature of my disease coupled with my increased risk of cancer due to my age. Risk of cancer from aza/6mp goes up rather sharply after age 50. For a younger patient, or one with disease worse than mine, Imuran is often a pretty good choice.

My only medication for Crohn's is intermittent budesonide. I am fortunate in that my Crohn's is very mild, and I have not had to move up to anything stronger (so far).

My GI talked about Imuran as a follow-on to the budesonide, which is why I joined that group - to learn about it. But so far we have agreed to hold off on the Imuran due to the very mild nature of my disease coupled with my increased risk of cancer due to my age. Risk of cancer from aza/6mp goes up rather sharply after age 50. For a younger patient, or one with disease worse than mine, Imuran is often a pretty good choice.
Ok that feels more settling, still I want to ask the GI if thats the best route and what backup meds I should take if some eventually do not respond I feel like with Crohn's the more information I have the more comfortable I feel about it.

sorry omeprazole is for acid sorry.. i was thinkin odenastron for nausea.. omeprazole is a ppi, so it reduces the acid in your stomach..

I'm on both Imuran and Remicade.. I was nauseated for the first two weeks of being on imuran.

I wouldn't worry about the cancer risks just yet.. Your dr will keep an eye on everything.

Sorry to hear your experiences hopefully we'll both be off them soon . besides budeosodine what are you taking out of curiosity to treat Crohn's?
I'm not on anything else at the moment - the GI wants me to go on biologics but I am resisting this because the thought scares me to death. I am starting on Vitamin D and calcium to mitigate the effect of the steroids on my bones, and she also thinks I should take Movicol if the constipation continues and I can't overcome it by eating a greater variety of food and drinking more water.

I'm not on anything else at the moment - the GI wants me to go on biologics but I am resisting this because the thought scares me to death. I am starting on Vitamin D and calcium to mitigate the effect of the steroids on my bones, and she also thinks I should take Movicol if the constipation continues and I can't overcome it by eating a greater variety of food and drinking more water.

Just out of curiosity what is scary to you about biologics , as I believe imuran is a biologic as well right?

Imuran isn't a biologic, it is an immunomodulator tho. So has risks just like biologics.

Just confirming, Omeprazole and Buedosodine are biologics correct?
I believe my GI said something is biologics I must not have been paying attention much at that first appointment on specifics.

Biologics would be Adalimumab (Humira), Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia), Infliximab (Remicade), Golimumab (Simponi), Natalizumab (Tysabri) and Vedolizumab (Entyvio)

Omeprazole would be a Proton Pump Inhibitor, which would be similar to Prilosec or prevacid that you can get over the counter
Buedosodine is a type of steroid

Biologics would be Adalimumab (Humira), Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia), Infliximab (Remicade), Golimumab (Simponi), Natalizumab (Tysabri) and Vedolizumab (Entyvio)

Omeprazole would be a Proton Pump Inhibitor, which would be similar to Prilosec or prevacid that you can get over the counter
Buedosodine is a type of steroid

Thanks I knew that omeprazole was a ppi and buedosodine was a steroid I'm just confused atm I guess on what biolgics are. I assume the GI must've been talking about me eventually taking a biologic. I believe my GI said Asacol, is that a biologic?

I'm not very knowledgeable about the terminology, but I think biologics are, as the name suggests, drugs originally created from either animal or human biological material (mouse or human foetus). The reason they make me nervous is the idea of being hooked up to a drip for several hours at a time, in the case of some biologics, or alternatively, extremely painful injections in the case of others. The side-effects for many people sound quite bad, too. I know that logically we stand a much greater chance of bowel cancer through having Crohns but I do find the thought of taking a cancer-causing drug scary too. Mainly, though, it's my fear of needles.

I was put on Budesonide after a recent Crohn's flare had to stop taking It ! It gives me the same side effects as prednisone. EXTREME gas abd. distention, look like 7 mth. preg. can not pass the gas, extreme sweating. Does anyone else experience these side effects? My Dr. stated no other pts. report this.

I was put on Budesonide after a recent Crohn's flare had to stop taking It ! It gives me the same side effects as prednisone. EXTREME gas abd. distention, look like 7 mth. preg. can not pass the gas, extreme sweating. Does anyone else experience these side effects? My Dr. stated no other pts. report this.

Hi, I finished my temporarily taking Budesodine, and I did not experience those side effects. Although it has been some time, I believe at most I used to get headaches and what not. That being said I'm sure its different for everyone. I'm sure your Doctor would be able to give you advice with what you're saying. Feel better!

I have been on Imuran for a number of years now. Last year, i developed a squamous cell cancer on my scalp. I need to have regular skin checks with my dermatologist.

I have been on Imuran for a number of years now. Last year, i developed a squamous cell cancer on my scalp. I need to have regular skin checks with my dermatologist.
Do most people regularly have skin checks with their Derma due to Crohn's or should you only have regular skin checks once there is an issue?