• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed 6 year old *Help* colonoscopy prep!!

Colonoscopy tomorrow and he was only able to finish 3/4 of prep. Are they going to be able to scope? It was a Mirilax prep and he drank most of it and took two laxitives.

He had two bowel movements right away...within the first 2 hours and the 2nd was a cloudy brown but not clear. He really hasn't went much. He has taken two laxatives also. He was about to vomit when he was drinking the last glass so I gave him a break and now he is sleeping. He has about 1/4 of the 32oz left.

Maya142

Staff member
I would call the GI on-call. They are used to deal with prep problems.

I'd also try and get him to drink more when he wakes up. If he's only gone twice so far, the prep hasn't worked yet. Believe me - you will know when it starts working. He will go a lot.

Good luck!!

Maya142

Staff member
I wanted to add - sometimes they will do an enema the morning of the scope, if he isn't well cleaned out. Or if you call the on-call doc, they may tell you to do one tonight.

There are options, so try to stay calm.

He had two bowel movements right away...within the first 2 hours and the 2nd was a cloudy brown but not clear. He really hasn't went much. He has taken two laxatives also. He was about to vomit when he was drinking the last glass so I gave him a break and now he is sleeping. He has about 1/4 of the 32oz left.
The metric isn't bowel movements but completely clear output. I don't want you to have to go through this again! Maybe someone else has a tip?

my little penguin

Staff member
And to clarify it's not clear
It's like peeing Mountain Dew when it's all clear
I would wake him up honestly and give him the rest
Thinking your going to vomit and actually vomiting at two different things
GI gave us zofran to keep at home in case the kiddo vomits

I know it's not fun but if he isn't cleaned out the scope isn't going to be helpful

Ds was dx at age 7 so I understand ....

Thank you everyone so much! I called the GI on call and she advised to encourage finishing the Mirilax. He woke up and has been on the pot several times. Stool looks like tea right now. I think things are finally starting to move.

Maya142

Staff member
Glad he has gone!! He will probably be going for a few more hours. Sometimes it lasts into the night (which is no fun for a little kid!). My daughter was much older, but we had her watch movies on an ipad so she could just stay in the bathroom instead of running back and forth. It helped pass the time.

Using a barrier cream (like Vaseline or Desitin) on his bottom will help with soreness. Also, wipes are much gentler than toilet paper.

Good luck!!

And to clarify it's not clear
It's like peeing Mountain Dew when it's all clear
I would wake him up honestly and give him the rest
Thinking your going to vomit and actually vomiting at two different things
GI gave us zofran to keep at home in case the kiddo vomits

I know it's not fun but if he isn't cleaned out the scope isn't going to be helpful

Ds was dx at age 7 so I understand ....
They use the term clear at Boston Children's and that certainly describes how clean out impacts my son!

Maya142

Staff member
Our doctor says clear too, but when I've called the on-call GI, they said a slightly yellow-ish liquid is "cleaned out enough" and not to expect it to look like water. So I assume both things are right - it depends on the doctor probably.

We just stop when it's no longer brown liquid and is yellow-ish liquid - as close to clear as possible.

We made it to a clear yellow!! He is actually in procedure right now. Thank you all for the responses. It's nice to know I have a place to come to for advice and help and receive quick answers from you all with experience. ☺