• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A place to talk Support Group

Hi there,
I thought I'd create this group so that members could join together and share their interests or worries; be it about IBS, IBD, Crohn's or a completely unrelated topic all together :rosette2:
Basically, it's just a little corner to vent how you're feeling and meet some new friends who understand! :hug:

All are welcome! :ghug:

This is a great idea! Just what I need right now. I'm sitting in my room in incredible pain down south, but also stuck listening to my roomate and their new girlfriend flirt, giggle and share other intimate things that I cannot enjoy right now. I know it won't always be this bad, but it's hard to stay positive with the blatant reminder of what I can't do right in the next room.

I'm glad you think it's a good idea :) I get what you mean too. It can be really frustrating when there are blatant reminders of what you can't do stuck in your face throughout your daily life. Adjusting to this way of life can be hard but it really strengthens you. The important thing is that you talk about how you feel and acknowledge the things that you can do. The small things matter the most. Besides, maybe you can find a more genuine relationship this way.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I feel like this thread is a great idea. I need to vent a bit in here if that's okay. My body just keeps throwing one thing after another at me. I really like to work out, but it's been difficult/impossible lately. Here's how my past 3ish weeks have gone - first I felt like I tweaked my shoulder in the gym and had some shoulder pain for a few days, so that was the initial thing that kept me out of the gym. Then as the shoulder was just about healed, I developed a new hemorrhoid right inside my anal sphincter and it bled and bled and bled and the blood loss made me light-headed and the hemmie itself gave me a bunch of pain in my anus - seriously not fun and I had to go back on steroid suppositories, yuck. Then, as the hemmie was healing, I caught a cold and spent a few days coughing and sniffling and being dizzy from the weird congestion/pressure in my sinuses & ears. And just as I was recovering from the cold, I got a multi-day migraine with throbbing head pain.

So now I'm recovering from the migraine but am wondering what's next! What do you guys do when you're finding it really hard to stay positive because one thing after another just keeps knocking you down? It particularly frustrates me when these things keep me from going to the gym. I'm having a hard time keeping my chin up right now because I feel like I'm just waiting for the next domino to fall. How do you guys stay positive in situations like this?

Hey there! First off, I'd just like to take my hat off to you because that all sounds real rough. I can really sympathise with you as I'm also really into my health and fitness. Keeping healthy always use to keep me positive and it really sucks having to take it slow. When I want to be positive I either throw myself into a new hobby (a great chance to try out new stuff), or take a time out in a scenic place. Sometimes it's nice to find a mountain someplace, dander slowly to the top and look out at the world from above. It really helps me keep things in perspective. Other than that, I just talk about it. I hope this helps my friend and keep 'er lit! :) Life takes guts! X

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I wish we had mountains around here, but the nearest mountains are several hundred miles away at least. A new hobby is a good idea - I thought about it and I actually need to get back to an old hobby. I'm going to Japan next spring and I had been trying to learn some Japanese, but it's really difficult, particularly the written parts. I sort of grew frustrated with it and set it aside. I really do want to know how to say and read some things in Japanese, though, so this is inspiring me to get back to studying. :) I want to be able to say Wakarimashita (I understand) rather than have to say Wakarimasen (I don't understand) when I get there.

Arigatou gozaimasu (thank you!)

I too have stacking medical issues. I've stopped making plans in advance- literally taking it one day at a time. Even with work, since I'm a community worker, I'm calling clients when I have a bit of energy to see if I can visit that day and doing lots via phone. I'm basically trying to keep my head above water until I don't work anymore (just put in my notice to apply for disability). I also set daily goals for the minimum required to get through the day. Today's: go to my one work meeting, one doctor visit and do laundry since I'm running out of undies). I also do something nice for myself each day, usually something arts and crafty, but sometimes just listening to my favorite song or watching a TV episode. I'm also 'planning' aka fantasizing about an anniversary trip for me and one of my partners for when I'm better enough to go.

I think that all of you are dealing with things great and you should keep it up! :)
I understand that it can be quite exhausting sometimes- like today for example. It's my first week back at school for A-levels and between work and friends I'm just so tired now. I'm also going to the hospital a lot for medication and to get check ups and so forth with my stoma nurse. Up until this point I've been super positive and have blatantly ignored the fact that my operation was only 3 months ago but now it's starting to hit me now. I'm just going to keep going, focus on work and be thankful that I'm alive! (My operation was actually an emergency one as I almost died from it all :/ ). Anyway, excuse the rant. I hope you are all well and enjoying life!

To me one of the hardest things is when I realise that things get worse again, like today. There have been better days and now everything gets worse again and I don't know to what extend or for how long, maybe it's just a couple of days or it is the flare-up that is getting even worse and if so why? So frustrating that I can't really do anything apart from trying to eat something that does not irritate my intestines too much and stepping back to a higher dose of prednisolone.
How do you handle these situations when you think now it should get better day by day but then all of a sudden it seems to get worse?

Last edited:
((Hugs)) I keep taking it day by day trying not to expect anything...just dealing with the spoons I'm given each day.

We should all win a special presidential award or medal for dealing with this each day.

So I'm new to this forum. I have dealing with Crohn's disease for about 5 years. I am 19. Well I always been able to deal with the symptoms I find it so frustrating that starting university I have been very hesitant to be open and patient with romantic relationships. I don't know how to deal with Crohn's and sharing my history with another person. It completely freaks me out and I feel like I'm missing out.

Hey Charlotte, when it comes to flare-ups the only thing you can really do (in my opinion) is persevere and enjoy what you can. I know it sounds bleak and harder to do in reality but you are definitely capable of it :) I know I've said it before, but the small things really make a difference.

Hey Sam, firstly congrats for going to university. Secondly, I can relate. When it comes to relationships the obstacles just feel bigger and bigger. However, if it comes to a time when you meet someone and you love being with each other I'd advise you to trust them. If you like each other enough and they care about you they will be patient and try hard to understand. If they don't, then maybe it's not for you? I've found that having a life long disease also has its perks in this area, helping me to build stronger and more genuine relationships with a variety of people :) The point is, take your time and don't put pressure on yourself to talk about it. When the opportunity comes and they ask and you trust them, then tell them and don't worry. You have a Crohn's story, but you also have a larger, more important story and that's Sam's story :D

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I need to vent a little bit again. I was doing okay for a few days and I had salad for lunch on Sunday and it went fine, my guts didn't punish me for it and it was so delicious and wonderful. Sooo, I got cocky and had salad for lunch again yesterday... and although it was equally delicious, this time it did not go so well. Guts are angry, I'm crampy and I passed a few chunks of undigested lettuce, and my arthritis even flared up a little bit today. Bleh. Not feeling so good.

But, I'm trying to stay positive and something good did happen today. I crochet, I mainly make scarves and blankets. It's just something I do when I'm watching TV, I am sort of ansty so I like having something to do with my hands when I'm otherwise idle. So I had made a cute infinity scarf and donated it to a silent auction at work with the proceeds going to charity. I wasn't sure if anyone would bid on my scarf, but a co-worker did. Then someone else bid on it, and then it turned into a bidding war! Multiple people actually want to win my scarf in this auction, and two people even asked me if they could pay me to make them a scarf. !!! That's pretty awesome. That makes me feel worthwhile on a day when I otherwise just feel crummy.

I need to vent a little bit again. I was doing okay for a few days and I had salad for lunch on Sunday and it went fine, my guts didn't punish me for it and it was so delicious and wonderful. Sooo, I got cocky and had salad for lunch again yesterday... and although it was equally delicious, this time it did not go so well. Guts are angry, I'm crampy and I passed a few chunks of undigested lettuce, and my arthritis even flared up a little bit today. Bleh. Not feeling so good.

But, I'm trying to stay positive and something good did happen today. I crochet, I mainly make scarves and blankets. It's just something I do when I'm watching TV, I am sort of ansty so I like having something to do with my hands when I'm otherwise idle. So I had made a cute infinity scarf and donated it to a silent auction at work with the proceeds going to charity. I wasn't sure if anyone would bid on my scarf, but a co-worker did. Then someone else bid on it, and then it turned into a bidding war! Multiple people actually want to win my scarf in this auction, and two people even asked me if they could pay me to make them a scarf. !!! That's pretty awesome. That makes me feel worthwhile on a day when I otherwise just feel crummy.
I am glad that something positive happened. As far as the salad, I feel like I struggle especially with raw vegetables.

I had a stool on Saturday that was black. I have been told that it could be blood. If that were the case, wouldn't there be some irregularity in my blood work?

So im new on this forum and i were so happy that i came upon this support group lol. I just feel so emotional for a while now i do not know why i just want to cry lol and i dont feel so great my GI did some test and i will be getting them on Wednesday but otherwise i am just doing great , btw i were diagnosed with CD last year :)

Hi ronroush, Thank you. I do think they will be able to see it in your blood work but i do not want to give you the wrong answer. Hope you feel better :)

I have been getting the runaround concerning a calprotectin and an urine test I had last month. Someone on Facebook feels like it could be a result of Obamacare.

I was just diagnosed with ibs along with the Crohns diagnosis which I have had for 25 years. At least that it when i was first diagnosed. Sometimes,I wonder if i actually had it before. Anyways, is there a particular thread for ibs if indeed i have it? Best to all.

Spent most of my waking hours in the bathroom today. I wish there were an easy test the doctor could just scan your whole body and determine what was going on.

Hi ron im so sorry i do hope you feel better soon. I have some infection on atibiotics now and i have depression and i do not know how to deal with this im just crying.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Christi, a lot of us on here deal with depression and sadness, yes. Myself included. When I have flare-ups, I cry a lot and get very depressed. Some of us on here take anti-depressants as well, or have therapy to talk through the depression - those may be things that you would want to consider if you don't start feeling better soon.

Believe me when I say that these feelings are normal - you have a chronic, lifelong, painful physical illness and that's a really difficult thing to have to live with every day, so it's easy to become depressed about that. Additionally, some researchers are finding that depression is actually a symptom of IBD - that the inflammation and/or altered gut bacteria can play a role in how serotonin is processed in the brain. Literally, there's a brain-gut connection and having a gut illness can cause depression, so the research shows. So, it's completely normal to feel depressed and to cry about this. It's okay to feel this way and a lot of us go through the same thing. We're here for you whenever you need to talk.

Thank you so much cat now i know im not alone, i have a therapy session booked for next month , and my doctor said they will likely put me on anti depression meds for a while. Yes its very difficult knowing to live with this horrible disease for the rest of your life, i am trying to stay positive but its difficult at the moment for me to do that. Cat thank you so much

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
You're definitely not alone. And I know it's difficult to stay positive - for me, it's gotten easier but it's never actually gotten easy, if that makes sense. I hope the anti-depressant medication helps you feel a lot better. Other things can help a bit as well - some people find that things like yoga, meditation, deep breathing can help. For me, I like to exercise when I'm feeling well enough to. Going on a walk outside and getting some sunshine and breathing the fresh air usually makes me feel at least a little bit better. I hope that helps. Please stay in touch, let us know how you're doing and how the anti-depressants are working for you.

thanks cat maybe i should walk around a block or try the yoga. I will keep in touch on how everythings going and do appreciate your help. I just want get my head clear and this throughs thats going around in my head. Thank you for the support cat and ron. Yes ron i know i cant even talk to anyone then i cry again

fuzzy butterfly

Hi christi, cat n ron it happens to the best of us sometimes n sometimes more than others. But i say to myself "you are strong,brave n determind, so this will pass, you will be fine" it helps me thro when im at a low point. Which i still have now n then even tho iv been in remission for 20mths, it can still get me at times
love n support to you all.. Hugs xx

I guess I am just tired of going to the bathroom so much. I wish they could do the tests right away and find out what was going in.

fuzzy butterfly

Sorry ron i didnt hear the msg come thro. I was in bed while writing n must have gone out like a light. I know all the waiting is most annoying, it does your head in!!.
I feel for you mate it is so wearing going to the loo all the time..when we struggle so much each day why does gettting help quickly have to be a struggle too. Try n keep your chin up n push the medics for help . Take care Ron,hugs ...

Hi mandy thank you for the support :) ron can it not maybe be from your meds? I know that some meds make you go more frequently.

Thanks, Mandy. Christi, I am on Stelara, Lialda, Imuran, Prevacid ,a pill for ibs(when needed) and synthroid for my thyroid. The pill for IBS may be taken away if my tests come back with different results. The best to all.

Hi everyone, so today i just wanted to hide i could not get myself to do anything i just lied around in my pajamas the whole day long, had to force myself to go take a bath and then got dressed went for a drive now back lying on my bed not wanting to do anything, i do not want to leave my bedroom

I don't know what happened. I was sleeping peacefully. Then, I woke up about a hour ago. Since then, I have gone to the bathroom twice. I ate chicken, yellow rice, a sandwich and rice chips. None of these things have bothered me before that I can remember.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Ron sorry your here when u should be sleeping. It may not be what u ate, i find it can just be that the tummy has decided to play up,no reason needed!!. I went to my sisters halloween party last nite , had 2 drinks n even tho im in remmission, iv woke abit ealier than planed as i needed the loo. Sometimes i can have a drink n be ok sometimes not. It can b a lottery how our tummies behave. Hope things settle down soon. Take care mate x

Mandy, I set my alarm for nine because I have a b 12 shot this afternoon but my wife let me sleep in a little because of my stomach troubles.:)

fuzzy butterfly

Christi hun, please try and be brave hun , i know its hard love but things can get better. Please go and see your doc and ask for the help you need darling. As Ron said you are a very valuable person n we here want you to know we care and send you love and support. We are always here for you hun. Much love ❤💋💋

fuzzy butterfly

Aw hun thoughts have a mind of their own. They sneak in when your not looking but we have to do our best to keep them under control. Wether thats with meds, yoga,herbal remedies or whatever. We cant let them beat us hun. Iv been where u are now a couple of years ago. I got help n here i am now bright n brezzy,well n happy. So it can get better. Ihad to take myself to the hospital n say if you dont stop this pain im going to slit my throat. It resulted in surgery but once the pain was gone it was great n i felt a lot better. Tell the docs how u feel dont be scared or ashamed, coz it is how this crohns can affect people. They should know that. Any chronic illness can cause this. Much love ❤💋

Thank you mandy i am booked for therapy next month, i said to myself that i will not hurt myself and im sticking with that. So i watch some series and play a game to keep my mind busy. Thank you so much mandy you are a great person

fuzzy butterfly

Hi love good im glad your going to do that . I really hope it helps and you find some comfort n being able to do it. Good idea try n keep your mind occupied and talk the back legs off us if you need to hun. Im just on my way to work. sshhh iv got a mouse i caught living rent free in my house(had 1 a week or so bk too) in the trap in a bag. Im going to release it in the woods near where i work in a few mins 😨.. autumn is when they try n find somewhere warm for winter. Well it aint guna be my home 😮..Hope i dont get any more ucky things, but i still cant kill them , big softy me lol.
You are great too Christi n dont u forget it love. oh well signing out for now nearly there n my signal out in the wilds is poop 😊 take care hun ❤💋

Last edited:
Hi love good im glad your going to do that . I really hope it helps and you find some comfort n being able to do it. Good idea try n keep your mind occupied and talk the back legs off us if you need to hun. Im just on my way to work. sshhh iv got a mouse i caught living rent free in my house(had 1 a week or so bk too) in the trap in a bag. Im going to release it in the woods near where i work in a few mins 😨.. autumn is when they try n find somewhere warm for winter. Well it guna be my home 😮..Hope i dont get any more ucky things, but i still cant kill them , big softy me lol.
You are great too Christi n dont u forget it love. oh well signing out for now nearly there n my signal out in the wilds is poop 😊 take care hun ❤💋
Thanks a bunch, Mandy!

fuzzy butterfly

Oh dear Ron not a nice feeling that
I could come over with my plunger n see what i can do for you 😀

Seriously tho hope it gets better fof you hun 😚

Just found this thread and read it.

Chirsty, I would not be surprised that there really is a connection between our weird guts and depression. I think Cat-A-Tonic is right. Depression, unfortunately is a part of this disease. I have been treated for it for over 25 years, a time period that is suspiciously like the time I have had Crohn's symptoms. Just remember that out of all the people on the earth, there is only one Christy. That makes you very special, and you need to treat yourself that way. Please don't hurt yourself!

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Ron. It maybe just mucus if you havnt eaten anything white (cauliflower myb) . I suggest if it happens again over nxt few days ring gp or gi n ask to be on the safe side hun 💕

I have been going through problems with my vision. I really think this is related to my diabetes and hopefully will go away. I cannot read books or documents right now. I have my monitor set at 200% magnification, with that I can read the computer screen, but it is blurry. This came on so suddenly that I have fears of going blind. On top of all this, I could not get an appointment with the opthamolgist until November 11th. I had to talk to the nurse, otherwise the closest appointment I could have got was December 4th.

fuzzy butterfly

Hey Doug. Me too (re what Ron said).
The chamomile tea is supposed to be good for the side issues of diabetes. May be worth checking out love.
Love n best wishes. Take care Doug. 💋💖

Okay so my antibiotics are finished and yet i get the cold fever and shakes , its been the whole night and still feel feverish.

My vision is getting somewhat better, and better yet the changes are settling down. I see the opthamologist tomorrow. I am still at 200% magnification on my computer monitor. Not getting a lot of work done so I decided to let the boss know what is going on with my vision. They are offering to order me special monitors that are suppose to help those with vision problems. I told them to hold off until after I see the opthamologist tomorrow. I think if the changes have settled down we should just try new glasses for now.

fuzzy butterfly

Hey Doug glad things are better with the old peepers mate. Aw nice of boss to make the offer. Hope all goes well tomorrow for you . 💕💋

I am sorry for what you are going through. I feel like I went through some depression before I was even aware of the Crohn's. Hàppy Thanksgiving.:)

Excuse my absence from the forum my friends! :)
Currently going through a flare-up and am pushing through as best I can- like any of us can do in this situation. :sign0085:
The discussion about depression is an important one we should all acknowledge- I don't think people realise the impact Crohn's disease can have on your mental health. It's actually been proven that people with Crohn's are more likely to have higher anxiety (I sure do- I had to have counselling at one point). And why not? We constantly have to worry about our health.
Anyway, I'm just ranting away because I'm feeling quite low and I want to keep a brave face on it for my family and friends (and for myself). My Crohn's is spreading like a blazing fire but hopefully things will die down soon. And if not, I'll just keep going.
Do you guys know that Crohn's and Colitis Awareness week is coming up? It's from 1-7 Dec and the 4th of December is to be known as Purple Friday so make sure you all wear some purple and have a party! I've already bought a t-shirt and plan on buying some purple jelly!
Hope you are all well! x :rosette2:

I feel like this thread is a great idea. I need to vent a bit in here if that's okay. My body just keeps throwing one thing after another at me. I really like to work out, but it's been difficult/impossible lately. Here's how my past 3ish weeks have gone - first I felt like I tweaked my shoulder in the gym and had some shoulder pain for a few days, so that was the initial thing that kept me out of the gym. Then as the shoulder was just about healed, I developed a new hemorrhoid right inside my anal sphincter and it bled and bled and bled and the blood loss made me light-headed and the hemmie itself gave me a bunch of pain in my anus - seriously not fun and I had to go back on steroid suppositories, yuck. Then, as the hemmie was healing, I caught a cold and spent a few days coughing and sniffling and being dizzy from the weird congestion/pressure in my sinuses & ears. And just as I was recovering from the cold, I got a multi-day migraine with throbbing head pain.

So now I'm recovering from the migraine but am wondering what's next! What do you guys do when you're finding it really hard to stay positive because one thing after another just keeps knocking you down? It particularly frustrates me when these things keep me from going to the gym. I'm having a hard time keeping my chin up right now because I feel like I'm just waiting for the next domino to fall. How do you guys stay positive in situations like this?
Sometimes, I try turning on cheerful music. I wish better days ahead for all.

Ohh.. This forum I can tell maybe a life saver.. I just got diagnosed with Crohn's about 6 weeks ago and so far it's been pure hell. I have never been sick before not like this and I'm having a rough time with it. It just seems my body is doing weird things and I never know what to expect. I am stressed about work. I have been on short term disability at work since all this started. Minus about a week and half where I tried to go back to work in between my first hospital stay and then surgery: I just don't know what to expect. Will all of this eventually die down? I know no one that has this so its hard. My body just does things and I don't know if it's. Crohn's or not. . Thank goodness for this forum.. Latest thing is thanks giving was yesterday and early this morning I got a pain right above my belly button that kind of radiates to my side/ back. It last for a few hours then just goes away.. This has happened before 4 or 5 times is this part of the Crohn's?? It generally happens after large meals and once right as I was eating red beans and rice( I know now this meal is a no no) It feels like a very full feeling like I need to pass gas or something it's not excruciating to send me to the hospital but does keep me up until it subsides.. I have noticed when it happens it's generally worse when I lay on my back. But just very uncomfortable until it goes away in a few hours..

Thanks in advance i appreciate all of you

Last edited:
Ohh.. This forum I can tell maybe a life saver.. I just got diagnosed with Crohn's about 6 weeks ago and so far it's been pure hell. I have never been sick before not like this and I'm having a rough time with it. It just seems my body is doing weird things and I never know what to expect. I am stressed about work. I have been on short term disability at work since all this started. Minus about a week and half where I tried to go back to work in between my first hospital stay and then surgery: I just don't know what to expect. Will all of this eventually die down? I know no one that has this so its hard. My body just does things and I don't know if it's. Crohn's or not. . Thank goodness for this forum.. Latest thing is thanks giving was yesterday and early this morning I got a pain right above my belly button that kind of radiates to my side/ back. It last for a few hours then just goes away.. This has happened before 4 or 5 times is this part of the Crohn's?? It generally happens after large meals and once right as I was eating red beans and rice( I know now this meal is a no no) It feels like a very full feeling like I need to pass gas or something it's not excruciating to send me to the hospital but does keep me up until it subsides.. I have noticed when it happens it's generally worse when I lay on my back. But just very uncomfortable until it goes away in a few hours..

Welcome. I am sorry you have this disease but you found this forum. There are a lot of supportive and knowledgeable people here. Do you have Crohn's Disease or Colitis? Hopefully, your doctor will find the right mixture of medicines to put you in remission. If you get the chance, you might want to share in the section called Your Story. Again, welcome. Feel free to share any questions or concerns about the disease.

Welcome!

Everything you mentioned is a part of Crohns. So sorry you are going through it.

I sympathize with you also. I mean I had the same problems with you But My sister Sugar was 800 she was in a diabetic coma. I was working at a hospital where we couldn't have any errors. My two adopted daughters ran away from the school hadn't been seen all day into the night Which cause me stress Which made me hurt my Self physically My mental state was crazy And what got me through all that at the time That I was losing my job also. I damaged a piece of equipment that was very expensive So what got me through was prayer I pray for strength that I All the time all day long for a wisdom for guidance and I believe that's what it It makes a difference.

I sympathize with you also. I mean I had the same problems with you But My sister Sugar was 800 she was in a diabetic coma. I was working at a hospital where we couldn't have any errors. My two adopted daughters ran away from the school hadn't been seen all day into the night Which cause me stress Which made me hurt my Self physically My mental state was crazy And what got me through all that at the time That I was losing my job also. I damaged a piece of equipment that was very expensive So what got me through was prayer I pray for strength that I All the time all day long for a wisdom for guidance and I believe that's what it It makes a difference.
Prayer is great.